Ammo Search

• 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 2:40 AM PDT
    looking to find a decent connection for

Hornady Critical Defense .380 auto 90gr (everyplace I deal with is saying a 6-8 week minimum backorder)
    Hornady Critical Defense
    .40 S&W 165GR (in stock at a number of places, but the price is all over the place)

I would just as well like to get them from the same source if possible.

If anyone has knows where I can get them without a 6+ week backorder and halfway decent price, please let me know.

Thanks

BullDog
    • 1780 posts
    July 9, 2010 2:44 AM PDT
    Try Northwest shooters supply

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/ />
    Good people to deal with
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
    yea I tried them - they are even higher than Cabela's though
    • 1780 posts
    July 9, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
    Try Gun Broker .com
    • 1161 posts
    July 9, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
    I know a few friends that have been collecting and saving there ammo because  not enough around.  As for going to the shooting ranges and waisting the ones I currently have is a NO GO!    
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 7:02 AM PDT
    I am looking to stock up on ammo big - not that I am paranoid, it's just because I was an eagle scout and "be prepared" is in my nature.

.380, 9mm & .40sw - I am well set on 12ga
    • 1161 posts
    July 9, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
    TheBullDog wrote...
    I am looking to stock up on ammo big - not that I am paranoid, it's just because I was an eagle scout and "be prepared" is in my nature.

.380, 9mm & .40sw - I am well set on 12ga

I understand I was in the boyscouts as well and the military so I agree with you there.
    • 1066 posts
    July 9, 2010 7:14 AM PDT
    I'll check my area Dan, and see what's up around here. One place i know of is, Ashland Shooters Supply. I don't know their prices, but they are not too far from me. Fin,Feather,and Fur is another place, fairly big store.
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
    thanks Gary - I just checked Fin & they are out of stock on the Critical Defense .380 Auto 90 Grain - decent price, but not in stock and looks like they don't carry it in .40sw
    • 1780 posts
    July 9, 2010 9:08 AM PDT
    TheBullDog wrote...
    thanks Gary - I just checked Fin & they are out of stock on the Critical Defense .380 Auto 90 Grain - decent price, but not in stock and looks like they don't carry it in .40sw

Bulldog dude if you shoot someone with a 380 you're only going to piss them off.....LOL
    45ACP you only have to shoot once!!!!
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
    the .380 is used as a backup usually, and for when I am wearing summer gear like shorts and a t-shirt - it's alot easier to conceal than my .40sw cannon. The wife also carries the Bersa Thunder .380

and even the .380, if I pull it they won't be getting up - trust me...tight patterns and an empty clip FTW
    • 1066 posts
    July 9, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
      OOps!  The clip is empty!
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 10:00 AM PDT
    lol - that's what a spare clip is for
    • 6 posts
    July 9, 2010 12:09 PM PDT
    If you have any empties, have you looked into reloading your empty brass??? Just a thought, it's supposed be be cheap, I've never tried it, but then all I have right now is a .22 and that stuff is dirt cheap. This guy has a pretty good set-up for it, might interest you a little.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/table.htm
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 12:41 PM PDT
    I checked into it a while back - problem is you can't get quality brass right now - thanks to the idiot in charge. They only just stopped shredding the brass and selling it to china after massive complaints hit congress. It will be a good while before there is any good supply of brass.
    • 126 posts
    July 9, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
    Try ammoman.com good people they are the only ones I order from.
    • 352 posts
    July 9, 2010 12:58 PM PDT
    thanks - just checked them, the only .380 they have in stock is Russian and looks like they don't carry any of what I use.

- this is the fun I have been having
    • 6 posts
    July 9, 2010 1:06 PM PDT
    This site claims to have a couple selections of .40 in stock (though most choices are out of stock)

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_Auto_Ammo.html />
    This one has a LOT of .380 in stock

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/380-auto-ammo />
    Hope that works!
    • 6 posts
    July 10, 2010 3:26 PM PDT
    Ok, just realized you're looking for a particular type of ammo, lol. *smacks forehead* Never heard of Critical Defense, maybe if I knew what was different about it, that would help my researh lol. In any case, wal-mart has a pretty big selection of .40 (at least in my neck of the woods), including hollow point "law enforcement" rounds, all s&w.
    • 352 posts
    July 10, 2010 4:48 PM PDT
    thanks for looking Hawk...

not all "hollow points" are created equal, same for any given make & caliber of gun. the ammo I am looking for is a very good match for the guns I carry, never a jam, I get excellent patterns in both the calibers with my Taurus 24/7-40, Walther PPK & Bersa Thunder 380. this ammo has excellent muzzle velocity and consistant expansion for takedown - in short it just works real well for me. Since the purpose is self defense, I absolutely want the best and most reliable I can get my hands on to carry.
  • g
    July 10, 2010 5:11 PM PDT
    boy's n their toys ...........lol.just use a big stick .
  • g
    July 10, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
    nothing better than slow death .
    • 6 posts
    July 10, 2010 5:51 PM PDT
    that's what she said.
  • g
    July 10, 2010 5:57 PM PDT
    lol!!
    • 6 posts
    July 10, 2010 5:59 PM PDT
    anywho, I'll keep checking around, I might be able to dig up some old contacts fron gun shows and swap meets when I was runnin around with my Dad to 'em. (haven't gone in a while, so I don't know who's still in business). And I definitely understand wanting the best for self-defense! Not a good time for a jam lol!