Putting Mini Ape hangers on a Dyna

• March 27, 2009 9:28 AM PDT

How hard is it to replace the standard bars with a set of mini ape hangers on a Dyna.  I want to hide all the wires inside when I do it.

• 19007 posts
    March 27, 2009 10:32 AM PDT

Talk to your dealer to find out if your wires, clutch cable and brake lines need to be longer. Depending on which stock bars you have and how big the apes are you might not have to replace them, then again you might. I did replace mine. I have seen charts of this info. In any event you will have to splice the wires to feed them through the bars. The connectors just won't get through.
    I have done this on two bikes, both with wires moved inside the bars. The first time I drilled the holes in the bars and was very careful to smooth out any sharp edges. Plus, double insulated the wires where they pass through any holes. Good ole shrink tubing. The second bike, my Road King, got chubby apes (1 1/4") pre-drilled. SOOOO much easier to fish the wires plus no drilling. Overall it is a little dificult. You must have moderate to good mechanical skill, the proper tools and a good place to work. Be very careful. Pinched or scuffed wires can be a disaster. One more thing, if you have HD factory alarm / remote find out what wire is used for the remote antenna. I didn't even think about this and later found out that it was one of the turn signal return wires which it now inside my handle bars. This greatly reduced the range of my key fob remote. A minor annoyance that could have been avoided.
    • 5419 posts
    March 29, 2009 4:44 PM PDT

Mike covered it pretty well. One of our members, mrdiablo, posted some pictures of installing his bars which may help a little too... my road king new ape bars

• 81 posts
    April 13, 2009 4:45 PM PDT

Just please make sure your mini-ape wears a mimi-helmet...

• 19007 posts
    April 14, 2009 1:13 AM PDT
    Don't be sorry, THAT'S FUNNY!
  • April 14, 2009 10:08 AM PDT

That is very funny!!!

• December 11, 2009 5:56 AM PST
    Hadn't seen this before...that is funny Kaki
  • g
    December 11, 2009 5:58 AM PST
    lol.
    • 21 posts
    December 11, 2009 6:12 AM PST
    HA HA!!! that's awesome!
    • 513 posts
    December 11, 2009 6:33 AM PST
     Putting them on is no sweat. this was my old dyna.
    The post recommended by lucky covers it well
  • December 11, 2009 4:28 PM PST

On my 04 Dyna Super Glide, hubby took off my stock bars and put on 9 inch mini apes.
    It was an all day event,  since we had no clue what we were doing and I also added braided cables to the project as well.. Turned out pretty good!

• 1509 posts
    December 22, 2009 1:56 PM PST
    i LIKE THE HAND POSITION OF THEESE BUT CABLE CHANGE AND WIREING HARNESS CHANGES KEEP ME FROM CHANGING THEM.
    • 1780 posts
    December 26, 2009 12:42 AM PST
    mini helmets......I don't care who you are that thar is funny

Night Dragon
    • 119 posts
    December 29, 2009 3:40 AM PST
    It might make it easier when you run the wires through handle bars if you coat them with hand lotion or something to that nature. I would also use a center punch before drilling hole in bars, keeps drill from walking and scratching bars. Rex pretty much cover the rest. One more thing if you use the same color wire label them.
    Pic is funny.
    • 190 posts
    January 16, 2010 11:34 PM PST
    i got a 2000 Dyna and i just installed 20" apes. ****** beautiful. i bought the bike with 14's then bumped it up to 16's now i got the Paughco monster apes with 20's. once u go apes u never go back. make sure you have your guy drill two holes in the bottom on the bars then drill 2 more holes into the bottom riser. then you plant two good steel bolts into the holes you made on the bottom rise and leave enough bolt exposed so that the top half of the bolts exposed can fit into the two holes you driklled in to your bars. it should be a snug fit. then you're done. tighten the top riser over and clamp down hard. that should save you the anxiety of worryin about bar slippage. some little back and forth sway kis good but at least u wont go doublin up on the highway.. hope this helps.
    • 1161 posts
    January 18, 2010 8:03 PM PST
    Sweet Info I love the look of Apes on the bikes thank you all!

That picture is F***'en funny!
  • January 18, 2010 8:30 PM PST
    I got the these Road 6 Custom mini apes on the bobber and love them. They are pre drilled but I ant got no stinking wires on that bike.      Sorry guys I have tryed to uplode a jpg file but something is going on. I even tryed to up lode a pic that I have did on here before and it still telles me its incorrect file type. but if ya want to see a pic of the bars you can look at my pics. again sorry    Moose