An idiot on a sport bike

• 19007 posts
    June 14, 2010 1:25 AM PDT
    I almost killed a kid Sunday on a sport bike....
    Sunday morning while riding on I-78 in PA a fool on a sport bike came within 1/2 a second of dying. Riding in my cage at about 75mph in the granny lane I rolled up on a slower moving truck, checked my rear and side view and started to move left to pass. Vrrroooommm! and there was a blur that shot past me. This A$$hole went by me at running 100 to 120mph weaving through the medium traffic in front of me. Had I decided to move into the left lane just 1/2 a second sooner he would have been in my trunk or had to run into the median. I wonder if he knew how lucky he was. I expected to see him smeared all over the road in a few minutes but happily did not because I didn't have a mop with me.
    • 2072 posts
    June 14, 2010 1:43 AM PDT
    Rex, I agree 100%. These kids with VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE get on their zoom-splat cycles and think they are invincible. When they DO go down it's just reported as a MOTORCYCLE rider at fault and we ALL get stereotyped. "Yep, another stupid biker" down. Guess it's true, ya dont have to have common sense to get a motorcycle but it helps if you wanna live for very long.
  • June 14, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
    Rex n Cruiser ?  Ya'll dam right...ya know stats say that 85% of motorcycle fatatalities are kids on croch rockets and yes they do us a bad rap...Guess all we can do is keep on setting the example n hope for the best ?

Rex ! good job on saving that punks life...  if you hadent been paying attantion he would be  dead, or worse.  paralized from the neck down....

RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
  • June 14, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Rex, I agree 100%. These kids with VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE get on their zoom-splat cycles and think they are invincible. When they DO go down it's just reported as a MOTORCYCLE rider at fault and we ALL get stereotyped. "Yep, another stupid biker" down. Guess it's true, ya dont have to have common sense to get a motorcycle but it helps if you wanna live for very long.

Oh how I agree with you and Nightdragon on this one. Have had several Brain damaged young bike riders zoom past me inbetween cars here in Carson. Gives my heart a start. All I can do is send a prayer for them to live and not hurt anyone or kill anyone around them.

• 1516 posts
    June 14, 2010 3:54 AM PDT
    Coming back from the run on Sunday afternoon, we were on the freeway, Richard went to change lanes and just as he was about to move over, we had a similar kid on a similar bike zoom by in shorts and a T-shirt even.. good luck to all of them and us!!
    • 63 posts
    June 14, 2010 4:14 AM PDT
    I'm a huge advocate for safety and wish there was some way to regulate an "experience requirement" to purchase a road bike that is capable of speeds in the plus 100mph range. ( and believe me --- I'm no advocate for any regulations but,,,,,,, )
    As it is, any kid that has the money, regardless of experience can by a bike capable of speeds in excess of 130 mph. It's crazy, to think they won't, if they can.
    And the clothing they wear,, shows no experience too !!!! Obiously never had a case of road rash !!!!
    They don't even know to tell the girls riding with them that, short shorts, a bikini top and flip flops,,,,,, isn't appropriate for highway travel.
  • June 14, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
    As I mentioned in another post I saw two of them down within 2 hours. The one looked to be under 20 years of age. Couldn't tell with the other. I've said it before and I will repeat it. Sport Bikes have no business on the Road. They're made for the racetrack. Stop putting "after-thought" lights and passenger footpegs on them and licensing them for street use. I saw two of them in Salisbury MD. riding a "wheelie" in excess of 70 mph on a main road with traffic. Young girls don't have the brains or self control to not climb on the back of a bike with some stupid show-off! Most of them want to dress like "Hookers" now days anyway, so there goes any idea of safety oriented clothing. Should be an age requirement to owning a Sport Bike...... Over 35.....
  • June 14, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
    It is truly a shame that these young kids today do not RESPECT the road nor others on it...they are who give motorcycles a bad rep as being dangerous. We have a road like that here Mike, 787...and there is always at least one a-hole in a hurry to cause an accident or invite a fatality.
    • 601 posts
    June 14, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    just pure inexperience. i ride a hi-power CBR1000 and have hit the red line on the bike a few times even in traffic....but only when its appropriate and I am ready for any event, or unexpected event. Trouble with these young guys/gals hitting big speeds is they look at whats in front of them, if you go fast you need to be looking at whats going to be in front of you. A truck in the distance....by the time you figure out if you want to overtake..its there. You need to look at least a half mile ahead , and be ready for anything. That guy should have seen you coming up behind a slower vehicle and anticipated your move, and his own response, well in advance.Speed don't kill...stupidity kills !
    • 19007 posts
    June 14, 2010 7:05 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    .....Speed don't kill...stupidity kills !

You are absolutly right Rory!

• g
    June 14, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
    wee sports bike riders rule ..lol
    • 1066 posts
    June 14, 2010 7:35 AM PDT
    i guess i'm just old, and don't understand the new ways, but why the hell spend 3 or 4 hundred on a fancy helmet, if you're not smart enough to wear clothes.
    • 2072 posts
    June 14, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
    Sitting here thinking about this post....... It's NOT the bikes that are at fault it's the INEXPERIENCED riders. I've seen people on brand new cruisers that shouldn't be on a Honda 50 much less a 1500 cc monster. When I bought my Boulevard C-90 I walked into the dealer, picked it out, did the paperwork and rode out. NOT once did ANYONE EVER ask me if I had ever ridden a motorcycle much less a 750 pound cruiser (Thankfully, I have years of road experience). There needs to be more control at the dealer level and possibly even stricter licensing requirements. However, like Jim, I'm not into MORE regulations. Quess there is no easy answer to this one !!!!
  • g
    June 14, 2010 8:16 AM PDT
    15 yrs and ive never had a off yet ..and i ride fast every week .
  • June 14, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
    Ok... Lets put it into perspective... I'm gonna sell a bunch of 15 year olds some AK-47 "BB Guns" to go out in their back yards and shoot at soda cans with! Now, they go out in their backyard and accidentally shoot a little girl playing 5 yards over with her little doggie! Now... Is it my fault for selling the guns to a bunch of "ignorant kids? The kids fault for wanting to shoot soda cans and not practicing good firearms safety. The little girls fault for not watching out for ignorant, dangerous little boys or........ The Governments fault for not banning the importation of the AK-47 BB Guns that I so greedily sold to the little boys. What do YOU think guys????? Dealer, Buyer, innocent by-stander or Government.....
    • 19007 posts
    June 14, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
    g wrote...
    15 yrs and ive never had a off yet ..and i ride fast every week .

That is great g but me thinks when you ride fast you do not ride stupid.

• June 14, 2010 8:34 AM PDT
    Key word there 'g'.... YET...... There's two kinds o riders, them's that have and them's that will....
  • June 14, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
    its all about expieriance and respect period
  • g
    June 14, 2010 9:39 AM PDT
    true...........they say were i come from ,ur no a real biker till u have a off .
  • June 14, 2010 9:46 AM PDT
    ive had my offs
    • 19007 posts
    June 14, 2010 9:58 AM PDT
    Me too with the off, so far just one and I aims to keep it that way.
    • 1161 posts
    June 14, 2010 10:02 AM PDT
    My dad calls people like that job security.  Just like the morons in Cages texting, reading and talking on the phone.
    • 352 posts
    June 14, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
    Kudos for the reaction Rex - hopefully he got enough of a glimpse of the possible alternative to make him think twice in the future

dollars to doughnuts these guys have not yet dropped the bike to feel the pain of road rash

I think that all bike riders should have a mandatory year of dirt biking under their belt before getting a street ride - it would help with learning bike control & reaction, and they would have the opportunity to visit the ground at least once which would give them a healthier respect for riding.

We all get the urge to twist the throttle, hell that's one of the things we like about riding - but most of us are smart enough to ride within the limits of skill, situation and equipment.

The ones that are not that smart will eventually take a dive unfortunately it is usually not just themselves that gets hurt.

• June 14, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
    I was on I 635 in North Dallas when a group of 12-13 rocket split lane passed me and about 4 cars ahead the covered all lanes and slowedto about 40. With a rolling blockade they took turns playing for about 3 miles then took off and disapeared in the open distance. At least they opened the playing field and made a safe ?? play ground while not really pissing everyone too bad. Most times that is moving around 50 and all lanes tight. Was fun to watch for a while and glad they didn't drop road hazards.
  • June 14, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
    I have told my oldest dauhghter that if I ever caught her on a bike, crotch rocket or otherwise, without proper clothes and or equipment I would bust her ass. the thought of my little girl on bike without the proper equipment as a rider or a passenger is enough to scare the hell out of me. Sport bikes like any other vehicle can be fun if driven properly. These little idiots that do stunts in the middle of traffic are the ones that make it ba on everyone else. There clubs and groups that due stunt shows and some are really good at them but they are in a somewhat controlled enviroment and not out on the street putting themselves or others in danger.