Favorite Rides

• September 19, 2009 1:21 PM PDT
     I would like to hear about your favorite rides local or otherwise.  We are always looking for a new place to go.  What better information than from a biker who's been there?
  • September 19, 2009 10:50 PM PDT
    I can tell you there is great riding in Texas. And I have just recently moved back to Missouri and have had some great rides here too. In Texas just see as much as you can and stay off of I-35 as much as possible. I was in Central Texas so I took back roads all over down there. There is great bbq at every turn. In Austin there is a huge Harley dealership, and of course 6th street. Nothing but bars and live music.
    In Missouri there is a lot of history to include old Route 66, the lakes, some of the best twisty's in the world in my opinion. You also want to ride to Arkansas as well. Had a good time in Eureka Springs. Lots of great scenery there along with good food. And plenty of places to stop in for a cold one. Have a good one and enjoy the ride.
  • October 3, 2009 7:18 AM PDT
    I live in Asheville, NC and have some of the best roads around here. From the "Tail of the Dragon" to the Cherohala Skyway and many more. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, let me know and I'll hook you up with some great rides.
  • g
    October 3, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
    skye or lochlomond in scotland ,great roads and the view's are great ,might be a bit far though ??
    • 601 posts
    October 11, 2009 9:02 AM PDT
    West Cork in Ireland...some of the twistiest roads in the world with fantastic scenery, if you see a tail light on these roads the chances are its your own. Best ride i had in the U.S was monument valley its fecken amazing.
  • October 11, 2009 12:20 PM PDT
    Utah baby, the roads are endless and the sites unforgetable. Give yourself some time, there's a lot to cover. Roads are in great condition too !! People are friendly, even the cops were hospitable to this ol longhair !! Just do it, you won't regret it !!
  • October 11, 2009 12:20 PM PDT
    Utah baby, the roads are endless and the sites unforgetable. Give yourself some time, there's a lot to cover. Roads are in great condition too !! People are friendly, even the cops were hospitable to this ol longhair !! Just do it, you won't regret it !!
  • October 11, 2009 1:34 PM PDT
    North West , Florida man, the ride from Mexico Beach to Panama City Beach to Destin and on to Penscola Florida. G reat riding and friendly bikers .
    • 21 posts
    October 11, 2009 11:28 PM PDT
    locally - 7 Lakes Drive in Orange County NY is real nice!
    In Sturgis, I love the Badlands!
    • 19007 posts
    October 11, 2009 11:42 PM PDT
    Too many great rides to list and no clear favorite other than I have to agree with hddiver that Utah is the most scenic. Sounds like a great idea for a book.
  • October 12, 2009 3:17 AM PDT
    No question,...Southwest Idaho. Through the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, down through Hells Canyon and McCall toward Boise...Hundreds of miles of twisting roads, deep forests, and trout filled rivers. Traffic in September was light to non existant....I'm doin it again next year.
    • 5417 posts
    October 12, 2009 4:05 AM PDT
    My favorite local ride would be riding through the Santa Monica mountains above Malibu.  There are just so many cool twistie roads, you can ride all day, and go back week after week, in this 30 mile x 30 mile square and never ride the same road twice.  There are beautiful views of the mountains and the Pacific Ocean around every turn.  And up toward the top of the mountain, there is a little bar & grill called the Rock Store.  This is a pretty famous hangout for all types of bikes, from sport bikes, to touring bikes.  And on any given weekend you may run into a celebrity taking their bike for a ride!

The map below only shows about half the roads in the area.  If they showed them all, it would look like a bowl of noodles.

• 2 posts
    October 12, 2009 2:26 PM PDT
    Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. - Good twisties to cruise & some boonie roads to test your dual-sport. - I like exploring the mining ruins - Some tough people w/ REALLY BIG dreams once lived there
    A bit prejudiced did my undergraduate @ Michigan Tech.
    • 3 posts
    October 12, 2009 4:02 PM PDT
    Arkansas is my favorite destination .... Missouri is real nice too. Roads are okay here in TX, but so much better stuff out there
  • October 13, 2009 4:18 AM PDT
    I would say a great ride (my best so far) is in Southern Utah. Start in Hurricane on the 9 go through Zions National Park on the 89 turn on the 12 go to Bryce Canyon stay on the 12 through the Escalante Staircase National Monument to the 24 which goes through the Capitol Reef National Park. The 24 dead ends into the 70 go right and then head to Moab for some more parks like canyonlands and Arches. Really awesome views and good roads.
    • 0 posts
    October 13, 2009 8:33 AM PDT
    Rhinonthewing wrote...
    I would say a great ride (my best so far) is in Southern Utah. Start in Hurricane on the 9 go through Zions National Park on the 89 turn on the 12 go to Bryce Canyon stay on the 12 through the Escalante Staircase National Monument to the 24 which goes through the Capitol Reef National Park. The 24 dead ends into the 70 go right and then head to Moab for some more parks like canyonlands and Arches. Really awesome views and good roads.

I agree! I spent a couple of weeks around the Moab area last summer and the riding is great, the weather was perfect and the scenery cannot be beat...

• October 13, 2009 3:31 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    My favorite local ride would be riding through the Santa Monica mountains above Malibu.  There are just so many cool twistie roads, you can ride all day, and go back week after week, in this 30 mile x 30 mile square and never ride the same road twice.  There are beautiful views of the mountains and the Pacific Ocean around every turn.  And up toward the top of the mountain, there is a little bar & grill called the Rock Store.  This is a pretty famous hangout for all types of bikes, from sport bikes, to touring bikes.  And on any given weekend you may run into a celebrity taking their bike for a ride!

The map below only shows about half the roads in the area.  If they showed them all, it would look like a bowl of noodles.

Hey Lucky!Malissa(Motomalissa) and I grew up in that neck of the woods!She is from Agoura and I am from Malibu.Rode my first bike(second,third,fourth for that matter)all over there...my old stomping grounds!Thanks for bring back all the memories!
  • October 13, 2009 3:34 PM PDT
    Rhinonthewing wrote...
     Been through there towing a horse trailer one time and have it on my list(in my mind!) to ride through there in the next year or two...great suggestion!
  • October 13, 2009 3:39 PM PDT
    roywins wrote...
    No question,...Southwest Idaho. Through the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, down through Hells Canyon and McCall toward Boise...Hundreds of miles of twisting roads, deep forests, and trout filled rivers. Traffic in September was light to non existant....I'm doin it again next year.
     Did that run(Hells Canyon Rally) in 08 and it is awesome riding country.Gotta check your stats we must be neighbors!There is a rally called Hawg Wallow down there in June we might try to make next year,up for a meet and greet?
  • October 13, 2009 3:43 PM PDT
    I live in Asheville, NC and have some of the best roads around here. From the "Tail of the Dragon" to the Cherohala Skyway and many more. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, let me know and I'll hook you up with some great rides.
      Better be careful making an offer like that Mal and I tend to show up for an invite like that if ya give us a little time!Always wanted to ride through there!
  • October 13, 2009 3:44 PM PDT
    Cant forget Florida!Got lots of family there and then dont forget Dayton Bike Week!Got that on my mental list too!
    • 5417 posts
    October 13, 2009 4:03 PM PDT
    I have got to ride that area one day.  We were down there about a year and a half ago, Maggie Valley, for my son's wedding.  We had to rent a car because we had the family with us, but I vowed to get back there on my bike!  Those are some great roads and scenery.
  • October 14, 2009 8:08 AM PDT
    Great link,will have to put that on my list of to do's!Want to do the ROT Rally to so maybe kill two birds?
  • October 14, 2009 1:40 PM PDT
    Man thay are all cool places to ridge As long as we can ridge. We live in a grate land and to much to see lets hope to get to ridge all of it .Im still tryin to get it all in. Not even close but will keep ridgin till the end.