new (to me) '01 FXD Dyna Super Glide

• August 30, 2009 3:40 PM PDT
    Hi group...I just recently acquired an '01 mDyna SG with 25K on the clock.  She runs great!!.  Today after returning home from a 150-mi. SoCal canyon-to-coast run with my wife, I could not get the "neutral" light to illuminate even though I had the bike in neutral.  Additionally, a red "check engine" icon in the speedo face flickered on and off several times.  I dont have a service manual for this one yet, so I'm at a loss.  Any thoughts?  Chardagha

PS:  I also run an '88 FXSTS Softtail Springer;  pretty much stock 'ceptin for the S&S Shorty carb, punched pipes, Screamin' Eagle cam and ignition module.  Lost the clutch on her Thursday witth 70 K on the clock.  Not sure what happened, but feels like the friction discs got no friction.  In the shop awaiting news.
  • September 2, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
    Hey David, on the Dyna the first thing I would check would be the wire for the neutral light. Be sure it is connected securely at the indicator light and at the transmission.

The check engine light could be so many different things. On thing I would check first would be the oil pressure sensor (right by the oil filter). Make sure the wires on that are secure also.
  • September 2, 2009 3:46 AM PDT
    thanks for the advice HotWired...the wiring was the first thing I checked and all is well there...with the "check engine" function, do you think the bike is OBD/CAN equipped? I'm gonna check with the dealed on this.
    • 39 posts
    September 2, 2009 9:13 PM PDT
    Did you check to see if the bulb has burned out? Also, make sure the wiring is getting good contact.
  • September 6, 2009 12:29 PM PDT
    You can bring up the "codes" on the display and take them to the stealer and they will tell you what is going on.Or maybe someone on this forum or another forum can tell you what the codes mean.
  • September 22, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
    thanks all for the tips...after the past 2 weeks of riding, i have found that the neutral light display is intermittant and only occurs when the scoot is hot. i think that the "check engine" light illuminates at ignition on and disappears when i start the engine. anybody have a recommendation for a service manual for my scoot? i have always bought the harley service manuals, but am wondering if clymer wouldn't work just as well
  • September 22, 2009 4:15 AM PDT
    to dynacologist...how would you recommend "bringing up the codes"?
  • May 20, 2011 2:07 AM PDT
    Chardagha is now DavidG on forums. Somehow I got deleted!!
  • May 20, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
    Also check for poor ground connection at the instrument cluster/triple tree mount. I run a '01 FXDX also....have had not serious problems and do all my own work. Only the factory service manual is adequate for doing your own repairs. The "indies" like Clymer and Haynes try to cover too many model years to be sufficiently accurate.
  • May 20, 2011 2:36 AM PDT
    OH! WAIT!!!! A year ago????? Nevermind!!!!