my riding days are over...

• 568 posts
    April 24, 2010 12:22 AM PDT
    rory1, ya langer, me eyes are all misty of a saturday mornin...
    sister, it makes me sorry ta hear ya want ta quit ta ride yer own, although i'm glad ya walked away with minor scuffs...
    as a laid-off rider due te accident (when all will be done and dusted i will have been off the bike 1 1/2 years +!) me heart goes out ta ya, and my rage at the blind cagers is too much ta vent on a forum, but...
    i will ride again, fer me the alternative is ta slowly go insane and die a wreck, sooner than later.
    and i wish when ye'll be recovered ya'll find in yerself that spark, riding is a bug that once caught, one doesn't get rid off that easily...

Get Well Soon!
    ez
  • April 24, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
    My prayers are out to you for quick healing of both your injuries and the fear of riding again!
    Joe
    • 1066 posts
    April 25, 2010 10:19 AM PDT
    Kristen, i hated to hear about your crash. I Hope you are healed soon, God will help. I hope you ride again, but not if you are full of fear. Hang around this crew, we will encourage you.
  • April 25, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
    Kris, glad to hear your ok, You should not decide to give it up today it does get easier everyday wounds heal. Confidence will come back too.
  • April 26, 2010 9:40 AM PDT
    Thank you to everyone for your kind words. It has only been 5 days and I think I am more emotionally wrecked than physically. I cry everyday at the thought of what happened and often find myself questioning why. I was SO lucky and I know that God and his angels were there with me when the crash happened but I fear my motorcycle and the thought of getting back on it, I don't want to give up riding but think that it will take a long time for me to want to ride again. The surgeon cannot repair the damage to my finger. Between the broken bone and tendon damage it will permanently be an ugly reminder of what was. The damage to my c2 c3 is causing great pain that radiates down my neck, I am having dizziness that is causing me to move off balance and I have tripped several times, and I am having difficulty using my left arm...and I am a true southpaw, I need my left hand and arm.

I am trying to find the strength to overcome, and I know that time heals all wounds, but it is so frustrating and I hate crying. Maybe two months or two years from now I may feel differently, but now I am so afraid of being in the open at the mercy of someone in a vehicle that I cannot fathom the desire to ride right now.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone...your kind words and love brings me to tears in a good way, which is a nice release from the stress and sadness the other tears represent.

Much love,
    Kristen
  • April 26, 2010 2:02 PM PDT
        Step # 2 With cervical spine injury w/Vertigo and loss of left side movement (Primary) and loss of finger mobility, You need a lawyer to protect your future.  I am not a lawyer or related to one but I am now involved with an Insurance Company that would not talk with me during my treatment of injuries. The accident was Dec. 07 and they stated the case was closed at the end of 2 yrs, Dec. 09. They offered a cash settlement but could not indicate what they were paying for. Medical bills still unpayed and they payed $0.30 on the Dollar with my medical insurance but I still had to pay my anual deductable $ for $.    Long term care or disability could take time that a Legal Profesional can get and protect you. Contact your insurance and most  all legal first consult is free.  Don't wait or think "THEY" will do "ME good. Time starts at the time of accident.   Spirit guide and protect you.   Howard
  • April 26, 2010 2:23 PM PDT
    hgsc90 is right! do not waste time here dear!
    • 1040 posts
    April 26, 2010 2:32 PM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
        Step # 2 With cervical spine injury w/Vertigo and loss of left side movement (Primary) and loss of finger mobility, You need a lawyer to protect your future.  I am not a lawyer or related to one but I am now involved with an Insurance Company that would not talk with me during my treatment of injuries. The accident was Dec. 07 and they stated the case was closed at the end of 2 yrs, Dec. 09. They offered a cash settlement but could not indicate what they were paying for. Medical bills still unpayed and they payed $0.30 on the Dollar with my medical insurance but I still had to pay my anual deductable $ for $.    Long term care or disability could take time that a Legal Profesional can get and protect you. Contact your insurance and most  all legal first consult is free.  Don't wait or think "THEY" will do "ME good. Time starts at the time of accident.   Spirit guide and protect you.   Howard

What Howard said and PLEASE try to refrain from speaking of your acccident/injuries with ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE, other than your lawyer. Anyting said in an open/public forum can and will be misconstrued or turned around to the favor of the defendent if it can be. I'm not a lawyer either; just free friendly advice and conern for your well being and future. The very best to ya Kristen.
  • April 26, 2010 3:16 PM PDT
    So glad to hear that you are ok. I fear that day. I have been riding on and off for 15 years now and know that my time will come. I hope it isn't bad.
    I do want to point out that the same thing can happen when you are on the back of a bike. At least you were the one in control of the bike this time. I hope that you reconsider your decision but most of all, I hope you stay safe in whatever you decide.
  • April 26, 2010 5:17 PM PDT
    Sometimes it just helps to have a good cry, but then things need to be taken care of. I agree that you need to get some legal help.
    Don't make the decision not to ride right now, just take a break from it for now.

Another thing to keep in mind about your dizziness is if it keeps up after any swelling finally goes down you may need to see an Ear, Nose and Balance doctor. I was having alot of trouble with balance, I would be riding or driving and going around corners I would get dizzy, after I would come to a stop in my car or on the bike I felt like I was still moving and would feel like I was going to fall over. We have these crystals in our inner ear and sometimes with head injuries it makes them come loose, I know it sounds wierd, but it's true. it's a kind of vertigo, can't remember the exact name.The doctor can manipulate your head around and move them back into their proper place. I had it done and I am no longer feeling dizzy. Just something to keep in mind.
    No one can know exactly what you are going thru as everyone is different. You do what you need to do for yourself. Keep us informed on how your progress is though..
    Take care of yourself..
    Cheri
    • 86 posts
    April 26, 2010 8:19 PM PDT
    Kristen, you'll find your way as time goes by. Don't stress over riding again...if its meant to be, you'll find yourself eyeing that bike again and before you know it you'll be riding again.
    Take your time healing and don't push it. Good luck and can't wait till your feeling better.
    Lee
  • g
    April 26, 2010 9:59 PM PDT
    just take care lass ,and u do what u thinks best .
  • May 2, 2010 1:56 PM PDT
    I rode today...it was in the yard across the grass for about 1 minute...but I rode...lol Not supposed to, but I needed to move it and I wanted to see how I would feel on it.
    • 212 posts
    May 2, 2010 2:36 PM PDT
    Kris glad you are Ok,and glad you feel like riding
    • 2072 posts
    May 2, 2010 3:19 PM PDT
    kris10den wrote...
    I rode today...it was in the yard across the grass for about 1 minute...but I rode...lol Not supposed to, but I needed to move it and I wanted to see how I would feel on it.

• May 2, 2010 3:37 PM PDT
    Kristen, I somehow missed your the entire trauma, but I am glad that you are recovering and are at least taking yard rides:-)
    • 1066 posts
    May 2, 2010 4:09 PM PDT

Kristen there's  nothing  wrong with taking small steps...       I hope you're feeling better.

• 19034 posts
    May 2, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

ATTA GIRL KRIS!!!!!!

do it at your pace.

• May 3, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
      Uh huh....  I kinda thought so...  I read your post and sent you my thoughts on the incident. I won't go back into a long disertation about things but, I will say, Ya-Hooo... You will find that since the incident, you pay much, much more attention to potential threats. You will be, a better, SAFER, rider...  Sarge...    
    • 568 posts
    May 3, 2010 3:57 AM PDT
    yeah! can i join in the CONGRATS! choir?!
    way ta go sister, take yer time and ye'll be allrite!!!
    • 1161 posts
    May 3, 2010 4:16 AM PDT
    kris10den wrote...

Way to go hun! 
    Glad your ok!   Dont know how i missed this for so long. 
    • 1 posts
    May 3, 2010 5:11 AM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    You Go Girl!!! Good for you!!! So, how did it feel for you??? Good I bet!

• 601 posts
    May 3, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
    Respect is due and given. Take a bow, girl. you've earned it.
  • g
    May 3, 2010 7:27 AM PDT
    loads of great support for u girl ,take ur time ,sure u will get back on .
  • May 11, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
    Good For You Kris.....I know that had to be tough,...at least it will help clear your mind and give you better insight on your next step. I am happy to hear that you are on the mend. My Best To You!!!