my riding days are over...

• April 22, 2010 1:59 PM PDT
    so today i was riding in the warmth of a lovley day when some idiot decided that he wanted to gun his red pick up out from a parking lot in front of me while i was riding. i hit him, got thrown from my bike and do not remember anything until i was being boarded and collared in case i had a spinal injury. WTF was he thinking. i sensed it coming because we made eye contact but it was too late. good news, only bruising, swelling, and some minor neck pain. no internal injuries, but i have a broken bone and a torn tendon in my pinky that will require surgery. i see the surgeon tomorrow. the skin was ripped right to the bone...so my friends, i will stay on the site, but i must say...my riding days are over, unless of course it is on the back of a friends bike. much love to all of you!
  • April 22, 2010 2:15 PM PDT
    Wow , sorry to hear about that guy hitting you. And sorry to hear you are done riding too. Have you been riding long?
    • 1 posts
    April 22, 2010 2:16 PM PDT
    Glad you're OK.   
  • April 22, 2010 2:21 PM PDT
    Kris ~

So sorry to hear about the 'accident' ~ so very glad to hear you 'walked away' (per se) and were able to post.
    Let the dust settle, let your wounds heal, and then take a look at getting back in the saddle. Easier said than done ~ took me a while after my ride in the aid car ~ but if it's a passion, follow your heart and don't give up on that which you love.
    Again ~ so very thankful you are 'okay'.
    Greg
    • 1364 posts
    April 22, 2010 2:22 PM PDT
    So very sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok.... Don't throw in the towel so soon..... You never know, you might want to get back in the saddle and be in control of your own bike again. Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing...
  • April 22, 2010 2:25 PM PDT
    wow that sucks hope everything turns out ok i am sure its to soon to think about ridding again but someday if you still want to i hope you find the courage to get back to it
    • 2072 posts
    April 22, 2010 2:29 PM PDT
    Kristen, So sorry to hear about your accident. Glad your injuries were not any worse. As far as giving up riding..... That is only something YOU can decide. There are two kinds of motorcycle riders....... Those that have gone down and those that will. It can happen to any of us in the blink of an eye. You WILL heal and you may or may not decide to get back on a bike...... You will know when that day arrives.
  • April 22, 2010 3:02 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear of the crash Kristen. Glad that you have minor injuries to heal. It sucks so close to your relocation. I understand your point of view at this time. I have had the eye to eye contact. After your move and when you get the new DL also get the endorcment. You can keep it for a long time and be legal if you change your mind. Having to redo the bike lc can be a pain for a quick rike. Also note Florida has a really loong season and not all cagers are assholes, I have to drive one on an occasion. The Spirit guide and protect you on your travels in life..
    • 1509 posts
    April 22, 2010 3:04 PM PDT
    My friend our prayers are with you. May you heal quickly and find the desire again to seek adventure in the way that fits your soul best. I hope and pray for the best to you.
    • 190 posts
    April 22, 2010 4:43 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear about the accident, glad your 'ok' and hope you have a speedy recovery. Hope yo do ride again someday when it's right again, but like someone else said thats for you to decide. Hope all goes well with the surgery and again may you have a speedy recovery.
  • April 22, 2010 4:49 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear about your accident Kristen. Glad that you are alright and no major injuries to you.How did your bike fair after the hit. Hope they lock that dimwit up.Please young lady dont give up on riding as I have read many replies that you have sent and from those comments can see that riding is one of your passions. Just like all your family/friends I will say that only you can decide when and if you want to ride again.
    But be warned its in your blood and one day you will get back in the saddle and ride... The sooner the better.
    keep us all informed as to how your going Krisen and make a speedy recovery.
    Regards
  • April 22, 2010 10:50 PM PDT
    I am so sorry about your accident but I am happy it was not worse. Recover fast...
    • 352 posts
    April 22, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
    sorry to hear about your "run in with a moron" - hope you get well soon. As hg said, you should keep the endorsement, the fear factor will fade and the urge to feel the wind in your face again may call you back.

Stay safe
    • 126 posts
    April 22, 2010 11:51 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear about accident. I am glad you are going to be ok. I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope the a****** got a good ticket. It is a shame you will give up riding your own bike but you may feel diffrent someday. But regardless of what you deside you are always welcome to ride with some one. I wish you the best.
    • 19037 posts
    April 22, 2010 11:57 PM PDT
    Foremost, I am really glad you survived with mostly minor injuries. It is a dangerous pastime we have. I also hope at some point you reconsider your decision to not ride but we will all still love ya if you don't. Wishing you a speedy recovery Kris.
  • April 23, 2010 1:14 AM PDT
    Dear Sister of the rode, be aware that if it is your choice to end the comand of the ride, you will always be welcome to share the "Spirit of the Ride" with the rest of us as in the past. Many will miss you if you Quit us here. Spirit guide and protect you in your travels Sister of the road. Howard
    • 601 posts
    April 23, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
    Like everyone else I'm happy you are OK. But don't make an on the spot decision that you may very well regret later. Always realise that every other vehicle on the road including the odd low flying aeroplane is your enemy, some get ya, some don't, some days you're the dog, somedays you're the tree. It is sometimes an achievement in itself to just get home alive, but don't let them beat ya, fight on, and you will be proud of that sense of achievement. You have tasted the joy of motorcycling, picture yourself from now on turning your head whenever you hear that beautiful roar coming down the road...and thinking "that should be me" that's a thought I couldn't live with.

Over 30 years I've had numerous smashes, some my fault, some caused by the "enemy", I have a few bits and pieces in my body that God never put there, after each and every spill, I've said " that's it, I'm going to buy a car"...but I will hear that roar of an oncoming missile or the thump of a cruiser...and it's " Ah shit, I'm different to them", Don't become one of the bland, boring buttheads, keep your individuality retain your freedom, mess your hair, get your clothes wet, feel the numbness in your fingers and your ass, feel the elements that were put on this earth for you to feel...look thru the windscreen of a car.....yeah, may as well watch discovery channel. As we say in Ireland " suck it and see"

That clown in the pick-up probably laughed cos' you were "different" well laugh back because they are all the same, think twice, what will you gain....a steering wheel and traffic jams and air conditioning....what will you lose....comradeship and real air conditioning, the kind that you will always have as a biker. Get up Kris, throw your leg over, kick that machine into life, feel the buzz..............and shag 'em if they can't take a joke !
    • 5420 posts
    April 23, 2010 1:37 AM PDT
    Kristen,

Really sorry to hear about your accident, but so glad to here you are ok, for the most part, and wish you a spedy recovery. Glad you are going to continue to hang around us, and whether you decide to ride again or not is something you will decide, but you know we all support you either way.
  • April 23, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
    dear girl, i am glad you are ok, you did come through in good fashion all things considered. we all have or will have at one time or another hit pavement. anyone who brags about never wrecking a bike just hasn't done it yet. i recently was put in the ditch at hwy speed by a dumbass passing a school bus in a curve, might have been the cousin to the person who jumped in front of you. these people, these uptight, anal retentive, self absorbed idiots on this earth will never understand the joy we get from even just riding to the corner store for a pack of smokes, or a soda, or out to dinner with a friend. so they don't care. don't let them steal your joy! make that jackass replace your baby! then if you feel you can, get re-acquainted with all the chrome and steel and see if you still love it as much. bet you will. if you can't shake the fear, there is no shame in that. it is your decision, but i couldn't not give you my thoughts. take your time, heal mind body and soul. badinfluence
  • April 23, 2010 2:19 AM PDT
    Kris~ Prayers are out there for your speedy recovery. My heart sank to read of your experience and how you are feeling about riding now because of the crash. Darling angel, if your spirit needs to feel the wind and feel the freedom, please don't let anyone take that from you. Your physical wounds will heal. It sounds like the call to the open road is still in you. Plenty of good people here to help you nurture your spirit and keep you strong. Please update on how you are doing.
  • April 23, 2010 3:20 AM PDT
    Kris, I have to add my two cents worth of support in your recovery and hope you will give your decision to not ride a serious reconsideration. God is there to support and comfort you and to help make decisions about your future. Trust in Him and yourself. Support is obviuosly here for you as well. God's speed in your recovery!
  • April 23, 2010 3:57 AM PDT
    Just saw this and man I am so sorry to hear it! Glad you are going to be ok:-) and happy to see you will be sticking around too. Heal fast and remember we are here for you!
  • g
    April 23, 2010 5:22 AM PDT
    id say the best thing u could do is get back on ,best of luck .
    • 2 posts
    April 23, 2010 10:37 AM PDT
    Ride, don't ride, you are still the same person. Those that love you will still love you those that hate you - ditto.

The imprtant thing is that you got thru it & are still mobile. Say a small prayer of gratitude & go live YOUR life.
    • 86 posts
    April 23, 2010 8:54 PM PDT
    I'm glad your ok....I don't understand some of these people...Last Thursday I was at a four way stop, and the guy waved for me to go. as I pulled out he started coming right at me. I couldn't believe it. I was lucky and got around him, but what the heck? The important think is that you are ok. I hope you ride again...