Do You Wear Protective Clothing on Your Motorcycle

• August 29, 2009 4:55 AM PDT
    I just started riding and was wondering how many wear, or recommend protective clothing when you ride.  In the class they told us to always ride with boots, long pants, gloves and a tough jacket, or at least a thick long sleeve shirt.

When my husband rides, in the nice weather, he normally wears a t-shirt or tank top.  He told me to wear what ever I feel comfortable with.

I am ok with everything except the jacket or thick shirt.  Do most of you keep your arms covered when you ride?
    • 126 posts
    August 29, 2009 5:52 AM PDT
    I did when I first started riding. It all depends on the weather and what I feel like. I always wear my full face helmet. I do ride the freeway to and from work in just a t-shirt though if it is worm. My doughters have to have all of there gear to ride with me. I can get hurt but I wnat them to be as safe as they can be.
    • 1364 posts
    August 29, 2009 10:53 AM PDT
    Boots, Gloves, glasses, and a helmet at all times..... Chaps, leather jacket as weather permits, as well as a face mask..............
  • August 29, 2009 11:12 PM PDT
    I wear the helmet (not by choice) of course,  my Harley sneakers or boots (depending on weather),tank top or jacket (weather dependent) & either capris or jeans.  I would never wear sandles or flipflops (gotta protect my toes from rocks & stuff).
    • 19007 posts
    August 30, 2009 1:37 AM PDT

I dress for weather and not for “Safety”. The exception is I always wear jeans and boots, (nylon GI combat boots for warm days and leather insulated combat boots for cold days.) BTW I have found them to be the best boots ever since Uncle Sam gave me my first pair.  Once I tried to move my bike from the driveway into the garage wearing only slippers and damn near dropped it when my foot came out of the slipper.

Here is how not to dress...

• 2 posts
    August 30, 2009 11:21 AM PDT
    I always wear jeans, 3/4 helmet, leather gloves and boots. Our club wears colors on a heavy leather vest. I keep a pair of chaps hany (usually for when it's cold).
  • September 2, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
    Tammy,

I wear every thing you described except the long sleave shirt or jacket. I only where those when the weather demands, or I am on the crowded highway and I don't want the little rocks and road debris hitting my arms.

Probably not a bad idea for you to wear all the recommended protective clothing at first. There is a good chance that if you do fall, it is going to be at a slow speed fall, like stopping awkwardly, or forgetting to put your feet down. So the long sleeve shirt or jacket will keep you from getting all scratched up.
  • September 2, 2009 7:42 AM PDT
    Thanks for all the input. I will take the advice and wear a jacket for a bit, just in case. Once I get a little more comfortable, I will go with short sleeves. Will always wear long pants, boots, gloves, and of course a helmet.
  • g
    September 4, 2009 12:08 AM PDT
    the full race leathers ,u have to over hear in scotland .
    • 834 posts
    September 4, 2009 11:05 AM PDT
    It can get pretty hot here and Arizona. I must admit that sometimes, against my better judgement I do go for comfort over safety. Since we don't have a required helmet law here, I go out occasionally with no helmet, tank top, and light sneakers. I really don't recommend that for a new rider - or an experienced rider for that mater. But I never said I was the sharpest tool in the shed!
  • September 4, 2009 12:09 PM PDT
    I ride to work in street clothes, short gloves and of course my helmet (1/2). When I go "out on the road" I wear boots, Levi's and if it's cooler a jacket and chaps. Been down once (in street clothes, on lunchbreak) damage sustained to vertebra wouldn't have been helped by wearing full race gear. I say ride in what you're comfortable with. Don't complain about the heat or the scrapes. Just ride!
  • September 4, 2009 1:35 PM PDT
    I'm kinda like the pic above with the red circles, except I don't wear a helmet in the summer.Who knows what I wear in the winter,what ever I'm comfortable with.Don't be like me, you probably have more brains.I figure some will comment on my stupidity,but you asked,Respects-Dave
    • 19007 posts
    September 7, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
    Dynacologist wrote...
    I'm kinda like the pic above with the red circles, except I don't wear a helmet in the summer.Who knows what I wear in the winter,what ever I'm comfortable with.Don't be like me, you probably have more brains.I figure some will comment on my stupidity,but you asked,Respects-Dave

Dave although I disagree with you I have to say it isn't stupidity but a matter of choice. I posted the photo you mentioned as a point merely from my perspective. One thing I always say if it doens't hurt anyone else we should have freedom of choice, not someone else telling us what to do, wear or eat.

• September 7, 2009 4:16 AM PDT
    In July I hit a dear and went down at about 55mph. My left arm and left leg are still healing. Just got the bike back from the shop this past Thursday. I rode yesterday and wore jeans, chaps, boots, t-shirt, leather jacket, and full helmet. After trashing a 3 month old bike plus both my arms and my left leg I've learned. I'm not going out again without full protective gear.
    • 1516 posts
    September 7, 2009 11:59 AM PDT
    Glad to hear you are on the heal Victorcreative. I guess we all live an learn. I always try the less is more on the bike, but is seems that I end up sorry. I do ride with a tank top, but the jeans and boots are really a must. I hate the gravel that hits the legs constantly if you don't.
  • September 11, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
    After my years in the rodeo ring I've learn that your gear that protects you is key. So I ride with your stand protective gear: helment, leather jacket (with pads), full fingered gloves, jean, some time I'll wear my chaps over them, and boots.... You've really got to much to lose when you think about it.
  • September 19, 2009 1:17 AM PDT
    Jeans, boots, helmet, and short thick leather gloves always.....I minor fall can put you out of commision for a long time if you scrape your hands....your feet are so delicate, and we never think about it, but if you are
    wearing sandals, or short shoes, sneakers etc, and drop it, you could have a life changing injury ....jacket only if it's cold. On the highway and long trips, jacket and chaps always ....have you been hit by a bee or a June
    bug at 80mph? Never mind a rock thrown by a semi......
  • g
    September 19, 2009 2:25 AM PDT
    chap's ?? what do they actually do ??
  • g
    September 19, 2009 2:26 AM PDT
    apart from making u look like slash from guns n rose's ?
  • September 19, 2009 3:52 AM PDT
    I rarely wear protective clothing unless it is a cold day. Seems how we live in San Diego... those are few. Normally I wear high heels, jeans sometimes a skirt and a tank top. But i do wear gloves and a vest just in case.

RR always wears his gloves, jeans, boots and usually a tee shirt. He always has his vest on.
    • 83 posts
    September 19, 2009 4:21 AM PDT
    Chaps are a must for anybody that rides in cold weather!!!!

• September 19, 2009 9:45 AM PDT

DOT Helmet (half, 3/4 or full face depending on weather), long pants (levis or my 5.11's), long sleeve shirts, always wear glasses, most of the time Pantoptix or my oakleys, earplugs and leather jacket if weather calls for it.

I see riders wearing shorts, t-tops and jap flaps and I just shake my head

• 190 posts
    September 23, 2009 3:48 PM PDT
    I always wear jeans and boots when I ride. I started with thicker long sleave shirts (didnt have a jacket till august), gloves, althogh fingerless, and initially full face helmet. Basicly the gear i had to wear for the msf course since thats where I started riding. Eventually in late july when it got hot I would not wear long sleaves and just a t shirt (most of my riding was around town learning on my bike). With the hot weather, I got a half helmet, since the full face was so hot when around town w/out constant wind, I always wear sunglasses or clear glasses w/ the half helmet, cause I dont want anything getting in my eyes. Around town, I'll go w/ a t shirt, but if i know I'll be on the highway I waer my leather jacket now that I have one, at 40-45mph plus, I realize that if I go down for some reason with just a shirt, I can kiss the skin (and maybe more) on my upper body goodbye. The jacket isnt so bad, it has vents I can unzip if its hot to let air flow through. My 2 cents. Matt
    • 190 posts
    September 23, 2009 4:15 PM PDT
    I took my doughter (11) for a spin around the block the other day, there were no exeptions, sneakers (she doesnt have boots) jeans, I got her a tourmaster armored jacket, and full faced helmet, like anoter post said, I can be less safety consious if I want, but she'll wear her gear or not go period.
  • g
    September 23, 2009 10:21 PM PDT
    why levis ,dose it have to be levis ? i always have my frank thomas trousers and spada race boots and spada jacket on ,ALWAYS .