What Tools Do You Carry on Your Motorcycle

• 5417 posts
    August 21, 2009 6:27 PM PDT
    I am just curious to know what tools and emergeny suppies most riders carry with them on their motorcycles. 

Having a Road King I always have my tool kit with me, whether I am just riding around town, or off for a long haul. I have a small flat pouch the fits nicely in the bottom of my saddle bag.  Here is what I keep in it...

Flat & philips screwdrivers
    Pliers & cutters
    Leatherman utility knife/tool
    Basic set of combination wrenches
    Cruz Tools folding hex torx key set
    Duck tape, electrical tape, bailing wire, wire ties
    Flashlight (mini Maglight)
    20 oz coke bottle full of Synthetic oil
    Can of Fix-A-Flat

I also carry a very basic first aid kit .

• August 21, 2009 6:40 PM PDT
    I carry a windzone tool kit from beza. I pull all the stuff out of it I don't need for my BigDog like the torx wrenches, one of the 2 sparkplug wrenches and other things. I add in a few tools also like a Headwinds tool kit in case I need to replace a headlight and a 10mm wrench for my battery lugs.
    It's a good kit and provides what I need.
    • 1364 posts
    August 22, 2009 12:15 AM PDT
    I also have a Windzone kit, I added leatherman tool, duct tape, thread loc, I also carry my Race Tuner Doggel. Small first aid kit, Black Velet and a can of coke........ Never leave home without my H.O.G. card.
    • 19007 posts
    August 22, 2009 1:00 AM PDT

Tools that I carry…

Set of short combo wrenches from 5/16” to ¾” plus 10mm

SAE hex ball driver set, torx driver set

Screwdriver kit with assorted bits, tire gauge

Wire cutter & small vise-grip pliers.

Leatherman super tool is usually on my belt

Hand crank flash light & 2 lume sticks

Other Stuff…

Assorted ty-wraps, elec crimp connecters, elec tape

1 med and 1 small bungee cord

Small loctite (red) and super glue tubes (one use)

2 pre gapped spark plugs (I can use 5/8”combo wrench to change)

Disposable latex gloves (4)

First aid kit w/mini bottle of Jack. (True I swear)

All of this fits in a leather fork bag that was on my wide-glide except the flashlight and first-aid kit.

• g
    August 22, 2009 8:39 AM PDT
    wow ,u have a trailer ??,for me its a set of allan key's and TYREWEILD .
  • g
    August 22, 2009 8:40 AM PDT
    glove's ??
  • August 22, 2009 10:00 AM PDT
    Well, on the chopper I don't have room for much and since every fastener on it is allen head I only carry a allen wrench set and of course I always have my leatherman. Now when im on the bagger I carry a full tool set, a quart of oil, flashlight and a very well packed first aid kit. On my last trip I came upon a couple bikes that had run into each other and gone down trying to avoid a deer. The girl passenger on one bike had some road rash and some pipe burns. I had some burn gel and was able to give her some relief from pain until the medics showed up one hour later. Oh yea I never go for a ride without the cell phone, I was the only one with one that night.
    • 844 posts
    August 25, 2009 4:23 PM PDT
    I never really carried tools until I started running back and forth between Houston & Dallas every weekend. Just didn't want to push my luck. What I need to do though is get some more universal tools. I am carrying way to much, but its working for now. I checked out that Windzone kit that Raywood and highrisk mentioned. That looks like the ticket.
  • August 28, 2009 6:45 AM PDT
    I carry a tool kit a got at my local Harley dealer. They ensured my it has everything I need. I am not really mechanically inclined, but I figure if something does happen and someone is nice enough to pull over and help me, they couldn't be much help if I didn't have tools for them to use.
    • 19007 posts
    August 28, 2009 9:32 AM PDT
    g wrote...
    glove's ??
    Yeah, I am not afraid of dirt but really hate having to ride my bike after fixing something and having grease/oil/dirt all over the grips and such.  I keep them in my car too for the same reason.
    • 0 posts
    August 28, 2009 9:44 AM PDT
    I carry most all the same stuff, but I do carry 1 6' ratchet strap also. Seems I use it at least every other week or so to tie something on.
    • 834 posts
    August 31, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
    I carry pretty much the sames things a Lucky and Rex. The way I carry them is I cut the leg off an old pair of chaps, and I roll my tools up in there like a burrito and tie it with a leather strip I cut from the chaps.
    • 1 posts
    August 31, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
    Upgrade OEM tool kit, Slime air compressor, tire plugs, Mini mag light, tube of hand cleaner, clean rag, self siphon tube(in case someone runs out of gas) small 1st aid kit, couple of chem lights, small survival kit. I get all of this stuff plus leathers in one saddle bag oh yeah plus rain gear. Use the other side for much better things.
    • 190 posts
    October 1, 2009 2:48 PM PDT
    I ordered the windzone ek-1hd tool kit after I got my bike. It seemed like the kit with the most capability and for the money, from the reasearch that I did, got a lot of good reviews and fits in my fork bag, which is the only bag I have right now. I took a pressure gauge from my car for now since the one it came with seemed to be off from the other gauge from my car. the battaery that came w/ the flashlight was junk, so i just replaced it, then also put some extra zip ties of varying sizes I had in the house. I am planning on getting a set of plugs to put in the bag also, but have'nt done that yet. Seeing that it fits in the fork bag, I rather have it just in case or even have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.
    I think tthe gloves are a good idea too. And first aid kit, but don't have room for the fa kit right now.
  • October 2, 2009 12:11 AM PDT
    A roll up tool pouch with the basics,some extra spark plugs, tire repair kit and a Keltec 9mm! Nice,plug kit to fix holes,Keltec to make holes!!!!
  • October 2, 2009 12:42 AM PDT
    Everyone forgot the ball peen hammer. If you can't fix it at least you can take out your frustrations!
    • 601 posts
    October 11, 2009 9:15 AM PDT
    Puncture repair kit..leatherman..and a prayer book
  • October 11, 2009 10:13 AM PDT
    leatherman tool, 1/4 ratchet and socketset, plastic electric ties
  • October 22, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
    I spent the $30 on a small kit I keep in my bags. That and a quart of oil and my Glock is what I always have with me.
  • October 22, 2009 4:29 PM PDT
    I have been meaning to get a tool pouch, but just keep putting it off. Ok, now that I've jinxed myself, I need to get one quick.
    • 1516 posts
    October 23, 2009 4:48 AM PDT
    a pocket knife/coleman handidandy MaGiver thingy and the ole man.. I have everything I need!!
  • October 23, 2009 6:54 AM PDT
    Not sure what the Ol' man puts in the bags... I am only allowed to put in a few things.  I know there is a little flashlight and tape... so I keep water, asprin, a tampon LOL (seriously that can be important), and a knife... I guess I should go out and see what he has in there HUH?  Lucky for me he is like a boyscout but I'm soooo going to check this now.

~SG~
    • 5417 posts
    October 23, 2009 7:24 AM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...
    a pocket knife/coleman handidandy MaGiver thingy and the ole man.. I have everything I need!!

I know Richard, and there is nothing he can't fix with that MaGiver thingy!

• 1 posts
    October 23, 2009 8:54 AM PDT
    That's the thing about baggers. The more storage ya have, the more crap ya carry. I'm a prime example.
    I got:
    CRUZtool kit
    Buck Tool (That MacGiver thingy)
    H-D Tool kit (The one that came with the GeezerGlide)
    Electrical Tape
    Duct Tape
    Small Multi-Meter
    Suspension Pump
    Tire Repair Kit & Gauge
    4 different sized cable ties. Lots of them.
    Blue threadlocker (very important!)
    Other crap that I will probably never use.
  • October 23, 2009 3:32 PM PDT
    I carry a small cache of tools, extra nuts & bolts, zip ties, electrical wire/tape, small compact blanket, a flashlight and a first-aid kit. All inside of one saddlebag on my Road King that can also hold my leather jacket, gloves, etc.

The other bag is my wife's and she carries everything except maybe the kitchen sink... so far we have never been stranded and have been able to help out several other broke down or fallen down riders.... We're always happy to help out!