New Texas Motorcycle Helmet Law

• 844 posts
    July 27, 2009 8:17 AM PDT
    Don't know if y'all have seen this... 

I found it at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm />

Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions

On June 19, 2009, Governor Rick Perry signed into law
    Senate Bill 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session.
    This law goes into effect September 1, 2009 and
    repeals the helmet exemption sticker program.

Please read the following important information pertaining
    to the helmet exemption:

• Current law requires a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The bill removes that minimum amount. The bill requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan.
    • The bill prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner.

• 5420 posts
    July 27, 2009 5:09 PM PDT
    Thanks for letting us know. I will be sure to update the Texas Motorcycle Laws page on September 1.
  • September 26, 2009 3:34 AM PDT
    Hello, I was wondering if there were any rider/lawyers that could comment on this:

It was only this morning that I learned of the new law effective since September 1, 2009.  And being ignorant on this new law, last night I was stopped by a local police officer for "riding without head protection."  The officer specifically stated that was his reasoning in pulling me over.  I was going under the speed limit, turn signals, lights, everything were lawful & used appropriately.

As such, the officer asked me to verify I had the required insurance for riding without a helmet, and I replied that I had let my policy expire.  I showed him my motorcycle insurance, and license and he returned the insurance to me and returned to his cruiser.

A few minutes later he informed me that I was going to be arrested for an outstanding warrant resultant of an unpaid speeding fine from another county.  The arresting officer gave me a minute to call a friend with a class M endorsement to come retrieve my motorcycle.  I was unable to get ahold of anyone, and he allowed me to move the bike into a more concealed spot.  I elected to leave it there rather than have it towed because I have heard bad things about towed motorcycles being winched up a wrecker on their side.

Regardless, after a few hours I was finally booked in and got someone to come pay the outstanding $560 ticket and was realeased.  Which, all in all, is ultimately what a warrant will do to you.  However, is there anything that I can do to inform the officers or the PD that they pulled me over unlawfully, and as such I endured a lot of frustration and humiliation as a result of it?

I'm not asking to recoup the $560, but I am looking to let them know that I shouldn't have been "detain[ed] as a person who is the operator of...a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether [I was] covered by a motorcylce health insurance plan...]

I appreciate your thoughts & insights, as I'm a new cyclefish member!

• October 20, 2009 1:57 PM PDT
    update:

I set a court date, told the judge I was pulled over illegally, showed him the new law, and he dismissed it.

Cop looked dismayed, shook my hand outside of court.

High-5!
  • November 12, 2009 11:11 AM PST
    Brain buckets should be the choice of the rider . I love living in S.C. No helmet law if your over 21 . Thats the way it should be .. Live to ride Ride to live ... Helmet laws Suck ..
    • 66 posts
    January 26, 2010 9:04 PM PST
    Have no option in Australia
    Even looks like there is or will be a use by date on helmets
    So will have to update at certain times
    We do prefer to use 1 tho
    • 31 posts
    September 5, 2022 11:38 PM PDT

Good to know the law for sure. I am new to Texas and believed there is no helmet law here. I will check my insurance policy for the amount of courage. You lucked out and got a fair judge and it appears a decent Officer. Congrads and thanks for the heads up. 

• 10 posts
    November 20, 2022 3:08 PM PST

It took 3 million buck to the state form 3 helmet makers to steal our freedom. 

That was 1986, I still have and use my 1986 helmet I was forced to buy. 

Some how the nanny state think they are our mothers.