Need a Tip...

• 21 posts
    March 21, 2010 9:09 PM PDT
    I got some melted plasic on my pipes  - a bag blew on to the pipes when they were hot - and cant seem to get it off - I tried a bunch of polishes/removers - no luck!  Anyone got any suggestions?   it's driving me crazy!!!  Thx

Jay @ Hijinx
    • 513 posts
    March 21, 2010 9:14 PM PDT
    Copper grease.

Rub it on and let it settle and then scrap off with a plastic scrapper.

Should come right off.

A mate of mine used a blow-torch to lift off the plastic bag and the polished it out with a chrome cleaner.

They are a bitch to remove though.......... I once had to try and remove a melted one on the four pipe of an '82 GSX 750 and it near broke my heart and my fingers.
    • 1364 posts
    March 21, 2010 10:58 PM PDT
    000 steel wool, The Mr. Clean Magic eraser works well also, Neither one will scratch the chrome
  • March 22, 2010 12:25 AM PDT
    Have you tried Goo Gone?
  • March 22, 2010 12:40 AM PDT
    Eagle One Never Dull... Has something in it that removes "Crap"... Looks like old chair stuffing but, feels "oily".. Also works GREAT on rusty or slightly pitted Chrome... Rub it on, get the crap saturated and then rub off... You know the drill, WAX ON.... WAX OFF...
    • 2 posts
    March 22, 2010 12:45 AM PDT
    Nail polish remover (acetone) works w/ some plastics. Failing that try Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) which will soften almost any organic compound.
    I have been known to purloin "Magic Erasers" from my wife's bag of tricks - Combined w/ the proper solvent they have done a great job for me.
    CAUTION:
    Both are pretty good at messing up paint
    The environmental whack jobs get real up-tight on the subject of MEK
  • March 22, 2010 1:26 AM PDT
    Laquer Thinner works well as it will dissolve the plastics and is used by soaking a cloth and rubbing, no abrasive potential. Also works great at removing melted boot sole from exhaust (COLD EXHAUST ONLY!!!). Just dont get it on paint!!!!!!!!! And wear latex gloves. It costs about $60 for five gallons or go to your local auto paint supply house, not autozone or NAPA, but whomever supplies the auto body shops with paint. Ask for 5 Gal. of "economy lacquer thinner" and it'll run you about $30-$35.
  • March 22, 2010 1:28 AM PDT
    Lacquer Thinner is a blend of acetone, toluene, Benzene, MEK and some other good nasties, so be sure to wear gloves!!!!!!
  • March 22, 2010 2:42 AM PDT
    If it's chrome I'd use chrome polish, titanium or stainless can be step sanded and polished.
    • 467 posts
    March 22, 2010 3:26 AM PDT
    Same thing happened to me. I have also gotten tennis shoe rubber of this way--oven cleaner-won't dull the finish, won't scratch.
    • 21 posts
    March 22, 2010 4:08 AM PDT
    oven cleaner on hot pipes?
  • March 22, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
    Goof off found at Walmart does the trick. Use soapy water afterwards to clean it off your pipes.
  • March 22, 2010 6:07 AM PDT
    col. brassy and a penny wrapped in a soft rag. will take it off and not leave any scuff behind..had a passenger do that with her boot once. ewww..
    • 467 posts
    March 22, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
    HijinxApparel wrote...
    oven cleaner on hot pipes?

It works on hot ovens!
  • March 23, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
    I have used easy-off on my pipes after my daughter melted her boot on them. Could not even tell it happened.
    • 5419 posts
    March 23, 2010 10:05 AM PDT
    minion wrote...
    I have used easy-off on my pipes after my daughter melted her boot on them. Could not even tell it happened.

Was just getting ready to say that.  Warm the pipes up JUST A LITTLE and then spray on some oven cleaner.

• March 23, 2010 10:17 AM PDT
    Amway makes a scrub pad called a Scrub Bud. Won't scratch chrome. Works great.
    • 21 posts
    March 23, 2010 10:21 AM PDT
    some good tips here!!!! gonna try 'em all till I get it off!!!
    • 834 posts
    January 11, 2012 1:16 PM PST
    Hey Lucky, the over cleaner on warm pipes works great. I left the bike in the driveway and one of thos big green trash bags blew into it melting all over the exhaust. Did what your said and used one of those scotch kitchen scrubbers - came right off!!!

Thanks man
    • 1780 posts
    January 11, 2012 2:50 PM PST
    I'm rolling with oven cleaner.....happened to me as well
    • 9 posts
    January 12, 2012 1:28 AM PST
    Be careful using nail polish remover or ANY acetone based product! One they are HIGHLY flammable, two, you need good ventilation when you use it. I recommend the magic eraser first, failing that, Easy Off non-aerosol oven cleaner. Or Goo Gone. I've had good results with any of these, and a Scotch-brite no-scratch scrubby. Then use some Mother's Chrome polish to finish....good as new.

Ride Free
    Tweek