Harley Davidson Security Alarm - Setting PIN Override

• 5419 posts
    June 30, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

Newer version here... 

Harley Davidson Security System Alarm Pin Override

I wanted to remind everyone how important it is to set the manual PIN override for your Harley Davidson alarm system.

With the newer HD Security Systems using proximity FOBs where the key FOB needs to be close to the bike to start, this is now more important then ever.  If the battery in your FOB dies and you have not set your Harley Alram Override PIN Code, you will not be starting your bike.  It is just as important for those with oler Harley Davidsons with the push button alarm FOB.  It you set your alarm and the battery dies before you return to your bike, again you will not be starting the bike.

Tip: Change your FOB battery twice a year so you never get stuck with a dead one.  I do mine every time I change the clocks forward or back for daylight savings time

If you haven't set the PIN over ride for your HD security alarm system...do it now!  Here's how you do it...

2014 and Newer Harley Davidson Motorcycles

(scroll down for pre 2014)

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

(scroll down to see how to use the pin code to override the security system)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON with the handlebar kill switch in the OFF position

3. Cycle the Handlebar Kill Switch to RUN - OFF - RUN - OFF - RUN

4. Press LEFT turn signal switch 2 times

5. Press RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time and release

*Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing

6. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

7. Press RIGHT turn signal 1 time and release. The second digit will be flashing

8. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal switch (x) times

9. Press RIGHT turn signal 1 time and release. The third digit will be flashing

10. Enter the third digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

11. Press the RIGHT turn switch 1 time and release. The forth digit will be flashing

12. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal switch (x) times

13. Press the RIGHT turn switch 1 time and release. The fifth digit will be flashing

14. Enter the fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

15. Before the module rearms, switch the Handelbar Kill Switch to OFF AND turn Ignition Key to OFF to store the new pin in the module.

Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson (2014 & Newer)

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately press and release the LEFT turn signal.  The odometer will read 'ENTER PIN'

(NOTE: This will only work if the FOB is not present or dead)

2. Enter the first digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

3. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

4. Enter the second digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

5. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

6. Enter the third digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

7. Press the RIGHTturn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

9. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

11. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

12. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch one time and the security system alarm is turned off

PRE 2014 Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

(scroll down to see how to use the pin code to override the security system)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press left turn signal switch 3 times

4. Press RIGHT turn signal switch one time and release

*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing

5. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

6. Press RIGHT turn signal 1 time and release. The second digit will be flashing

7. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal switch (x) times

8. Press RIGHT turn signal 1 time and release. The third digit will be flashing

9. Enter the third digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

10. Press the RIGHT turn switch 1 time and release. The forth digit will be flashing

11. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal switch (x) times

12. Press the RIGHT turn switch 1 time and release. The fifth digit will be flashing

13. Enter the fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing LEFT turn signal (x) times

14. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF to store the new pin in the module

Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson (pre 2014)

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window

2. Enter the first digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

3. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

4. Enter the second digit of your PIN  by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

5. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

6. Enter the third digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

7. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

9. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN by pressing the LEFT turn signal switch (X) times

11. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit

12. Press the RIGHT turn signal switch 1 time and the security system alarm is turned off.

This post was edited by EventMan at July 24, 2018 10:13 AM PDT
    • 1364 posts
    June 30, 2009 6:46 AM PDT
    Great post Lucky. I need to do that....
    • 834 posts
    July 6, 2009 5:29 PM PDT
    Don't forget that part about writing it down somewhere. After I read this, I remembered that I forgot my code!
    • 5419 posts
    July 13, 2009 10:29 AM PDT
    One more quick note regarding the new Smart FOB on Harleys made 2007 and later.

As you probably know, these smart alarm FOBs are proximity FOBs, meaning anytime they are within about 6 feet of the bike your security system is disarmed.  I had never thought about it, but when I travel away from home I always keep the extra key and FOB in my inside jacket pocket.  Problem with that is most of the time I stop, my jacket is in the saddlebag, leaving the alarm disarmed!

So if you are going to carry an extra key, don't carry an extra alarm FOB.  Just make sure you have your override code programmed!
  • July 14, 2009 1:16 AM PDT
    Thanks for the info Lucky, I have been meaning to get this done just never think of it, and when I do cannot remember how. Senior moments.
  • July 22, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
    Does anyone know if the battery goes dead on your Harley, does it still remember the alarm override code?
    • 5419 posts
    August 13, 2009 10:48 AM PDT
    Sorry never got back to you. Just checked and it does remember the code even if you remove the battery from the bike. Still it's probably not a bad idea to use the code to override the alarm every now and then. First it will ensure something wacky didn't happen to erase the code, and second, it's good practice so it will be a snap when you need it.
    • 19007 posts
    August 14, 2009 12:06 AM PDT
    Overriding the alarm occasionally is a good Idea Lucky. I carry my override sequence card in my wallet but I haven't done it in 4 years so I would be hard pressed to do it right, especially in a must do situation. I think I will try today. Thanks!
  • August 24, 2010 10:13 PM PDT
    thanks for the reminder, my wife had to drive my backup fob to me the other day as the one i always use had a dead battery,im gonna do that tommorrow
    • 1509 posts
    August 24, 2010 10:21 PM PDT
    In the back of your owners manual you will find a removsable card ro put with your registration with override instructions and also trailering instructions to disable and rearm system for trailering.
    • 834 posts
    August 25, 2010 4:22 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    thanks for the reminder, my wife had to drive my backup fob to me the other day as the one i always use had a dead battery,im gonna do that tommorrow

Another good idea is to change the battery in your FOB once a year.  Especialyy if you have the newer one that needs to be near the bike and working to start it.

• November 8, 2010 11:17 AM PST
    Should the run switch be in the off or run position. I have tried it both ways but still no luck.
    Maybe I am not pressing the buttons fast or slow enough.
    I am able to change the sensitivity setting.
    • 5419 posts
    April 15, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
    tennman wrote...
    Should the run switch be in the off or run position. I have tried it both ways but still no luck.
    Maybe I am not pressing the buttons fast or slow enough.
    I am able to change the sensitivity setting.

I have always done it with the run switch on.

• June 26, 2011 4:17 PM PDT
    Lucky, this thread, this site and you personally just saved my ass. My key and fob was lost somewhere near gloucester MA earlier today. I discovered this when I stopped for gas and my lights started blinking when I shut the bike off. When I went for my key all I found was an open zipper and empty pocket.

But, I did have the override code stored in my phone. And a google search brought me here. I was able to start my bike without the fob. And my buddy's key opens my gas tank. Now I hope it doesn't rain because all my tools and rain gear are still locked in the one saddlebag. The bag with my clothes was unlocked. I must have unlocked the bag and left the key in the lock at my last stop but never relocked it and rode off with the key hanging off the bag. DOH!

I do have a complete backup set of keys with another fob at home, but home is in PA. A bit of a hike for anyone to run it out to me.

But, I can start the bike and gas it up, so the road trip is still going. I'm in Maine now.

Thanks to you, I definitely "got lucky" today.
    • 5419 posts
    June 27, 2011 4:13 AM PDT
    Glad we could be of some help.

And that's a great idea to store the code in your phone. I am going to do that!
  • June 27, 2011 4:48 AM PDT
    I set my override code as my b-day. When forced to use the code remember you can turn off the bike only using the kill switch, leave the ignition on and the alarm will not set. This saves a lot of hassle for those short stops.

The number for the fob battery (07 and up) is CR2032, you can pick up a pack of 5 on ebay for about $2.50 delivered to your door. This is also the same battery used in most fobs for your cars keyless entry.
  • June 27, 2011 4:56 PM PDT
    Thanks for that tip FavoriteJewel. Since I am now using the security override code every time I start the bike, the kill switch tip will come in handy over the next few days.

BTW...today I stopped by the HD dealer in Portland, and was able to get a key for my gas tank. My friend's fit, but I have a 400 mile ride home after I split off from him. They didn't have a way to get my locked bags open, but did refer me to a locksmith that had them both open in a matter of minutes.

And the best news of the day was when I called the Gloucester PD to see if my keys had been turned in...and they HAVE THEM!! So, I will be able to get my FOB back...eventually!

• 5419 posts
    April 18, 2012 7:12 PM PDT
    Another reminder to change the battery in your FOB. I change mine every time I change the clocks for DST (twice a year). For a couple of bucks it's not worth waiting until it goes dead!
  • May 10, 2012 12:33 AM PDT
    Ya know I was thinking about that as well Lucky... I have to change the batteries in the smoke detectors twice a year so it is a good reminder to do those as well including any remotes for your other vehicles.
  • May 15, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
    I bought my bike used from a private seller, Still trying to contact him to get the number, I figure he had already set it up because I'm following your instructions and it doesn't work.
    Is there anyway to reset it without the pin ?
  • May 30, 2012 12:34 PM PDT
    Lucky, followed your instructions and the only thing that showed was the milage. Don
    • 5419 posts
    May 31, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    Not sure what's happening there Don??? I have helped friends set theirs on all years and models and worked just like described every time.
  • May 31, 2012 9:37 AM PDT
    Heading out west. I will find HD dealer and see if they can see what the problem is. Lucky, thanks anyway.
  • August 9, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
    KeyWestGuy wrote...
    Lucky, followed your instructions and the only thing that showed was the milage. Don

Step 3 in Setting or Changing Pin, according to owners manual states:
    Press Left turn signal 3 times, not 2 times.
    Maybe this was the problem you were having,
    as above instructions did not work for me either until I changed step 3.
    • 5419 posts
    August 10, 2012 12:04 AM PDT
    Jakesire wrote...
    KeyWestGuy wrote...

Step 3 in Setting or Changing Pin, according to owners manual states:
    Press Left turn signal 3 times, not 2 times.
    Maybe this was the problem you were having,
    as above instructions did not work for me either until I changed step 3.

Thanks for catching that - I have updated the original post