Harley Davidson Security Alarm - Setting PIN Override

• October 14, 2012 10:41 AM PDT
     Lucky, First of all, thank you for taking the time to post this a few years ago. I just found this post, obviously and was hoping you will still get this question. I just bought a 2003 VROD & recently bought 2 new fobs from Harley in Miami. They work great. I was trying to set the manual codes as per your instructions, but after I push the left turn 3 times, then press the fob twice, it just shows the odometer, not the current codes. I tried it 6 or 7 times, thinking I was doing something wrong. I know the fob works, because I use it every day. Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? it is the older system, of course.

Thank you for any assistance! Have a great day!

Jaxxonline
    • 5419 posts
    October 14, 2012 12:25 PM PDT
    Jaxx,

Try pushing the left tuen signal 2 times. I have heard mixed things on that step (as you can see above). I am going to find an older manual to verify.

Let me know if that works
  • October 17, 2012 1:34 PM PDT
    Had to go out of town for a family emergency. I will try when I get back. Thank you so much for the reply. Have a great day and ride carefully!

Lucky
    wrote...
    Jaxx,

Try pushing the left tuen signal 2 times. I have heard mixed things on that step (as you can see above). I am going to find an older manual to verify.

Let me know if that works

• October 3, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
    I just picked up a 2007 FLHX and swapped the battery out of the fob to start things off right. Needless to say, it no longer works. I still have a fob that works and am praying that it does not die on me when I am far from home. Setting the PIN Override is a great idea but I was wondering if it would work for my bike as I am not sure if the previous owner already set it or not. Is there a way I can reset the code to my own personal one to insure a good return?
    • 5419 posts
    October 3, 2013 12:46 PM PDT
    YES. As long as the working FOB is present, the instructions to set the code will set whatever code you put in, regardless if there is a previous code or not.
  • October 5, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
    Hi Lucky, hope you doing fine. I have a 2010 HD Softail classic. The bike was 3 weeks not used and right now the alarm system does not more deactivate itself with both keys. Unfortunately, I never set a pin. The bike was new from a dealer. Is any pin set from the factory? Is any override pin code in the system stored? Any idea what can I do now?
    Peter
    • 5419 posts
    October 12, 2013 1:52 AM PDT
    Peter. They do not have a default code from the factory (that would make it too easy to steel new bikes if the owner didn't set their own code)

Without a code you will need to get the FOB(s) working. I have never heard of a FOB becoming unmatched from a bike, even if the battery on the FOB and/or bike fail. Have you tried new batteries in the FOB(s)?

Since you can't set or reset the override code yourself without a working FOB for the bike, you may have to take it to the dealer.
  • January 9, 2014 7:49 AM PST
    Hi all... new member of the site and I need your help.

My 85 yr old father in law rides a Harley trike that he purchased used from a dealer. He has a bad habit of sticking the fob in his pants pocket and it apparently fell out on a short ride from his friend's house to his house.... and he only received one fob with the purchase of the bike. He purchased a new fob and took it to an Harley repair shop to program; however, the previous owner must have changed the PIN. We contacted the dealer where the bike was purchased and they had recently updated their computers and no longer have the previous owner information (what?!). We were going to try to contact the previous owner and see if they remembered the PIN. Both Harley and the repair shop are telling us that we need to by a brand new ECM (?) to the tune of nearly $300 because they are unable to reset the PIN. Have you heard of any other way around this?
    • 5419 posts
    January 9, 2014 8:26 AM PST
    I am not sure why the dealers are telling you that, because it is NOT correct. I just called my local dealer to confirm what I thought.

If you buy a new FOB the H-D service dept can marry that to the bike (without the over ride PIN). Once you have a working FOB for the bike you can reset the over ride PIN, again without knowing the old code.

The problem is you need to have both the bike and the FOB at the dealer to do it. So if you lost the only FOB and do not have the override PIN you can't start the bike and are probably going to have to trailer the it to the dealer.

P.S. - When you get this all done buy him a chain for his key and FOB :-)
  • January 10, 2014 2:46 AM PST
    Thanks Lucky... I think we'll try a different dealership.

Oh, he had a chain, but it didn't have a clip and he just "wrapped" it around his belt. He's 85, stubborn, and getting real forgetful. I'm not looking forward to the day when we have to take the keys. We should have insisted on a 2nd fob when he bought the bike. Lesson learned. :-)
    • 1 posts
    February 12, 2014 2:22 AM PST
    Lucky,

I have an 08 Road King with the original battery. Never set the PIN. I changed my oils yesterday and now the bike will not recognize my FOB, I changed the batteries in the FOB, the bike battery shows a solid 12v, I turn the ignition on and hit the "run" button. I can hear the fuel pump start up, but it will not start. Lights keep flashing like the alarm is going off. I cannot figure it out..Any suggestions? Can I set my PIN now to override the FOB?

Thank you for your time..
    • 5419 posts
    February 12, 2014 2:49 AM PST
    You may have a problem trying to set your PIN now since the FOB needs to be present and recognized to set the PIN.

• 5419 posts
    February 12, 2014 2:49 AM PST
    You may have a problem trying to set your PIN now since the FOB needs to be present and recognized to set the PIN.

• April 7, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
    Hi Lucky looks like your the man to ask, i have a 08 nightster and i have 1 FOB that works and another that doesn't, i have put in a new battery in it but still nothing, how do you recode a FOB to the bike?
    • 5419 posts
    April 7, 2014 4:01 AM PDT
    Sundra. Sounds like either the FOB went bad or wasn't originally programmed to that bike. A FOB is permanently married to a bike (until manually changed). Even if the battery in the FOB is dead for a long while the non volatile ram will remember the bike forever. There is one exception... if the battery in the FOB was dead and you had the FOB near a powerful magnet it could have effected the non volatile ram.

Either way as far as I know the only way a FOB can be married to a bike is at the Harley dealer.
  • April 7, 2014 10:49 AM PDT
    Ahh ok thanks for that, looks like ill be calling the dealer! its possible they gave the wrong one or its faulty.
  • May 22, 2014 10:44 AM PDT
    Just have it disarmed ..........rain,battery's lose the fob and if your in a hurry and having problems no need to worry just turn the key and off you go no codes 
  • August 3, 2014 11:04 AM PDT
    Hi all..my problem is the PIN bike wont start it appears its a PIN code problem with fob/alarm...i cant get the PIN number to store into bike? when i turn it on and look for the code,,it always comes up 1---- ....no matter what i tried...help!...thanks ...ryd..
  • August 21, 2014 3:35 AM PDT
    For those of you having problems setting your manual override pin:

I have an 01 FLHTPI. My pin does not show up in the odometer. It instead is shown thru flashes of the red security key and flashes of both blinkers. This is how I set it and manually overrides it.

1) kill switch: off
    2) ignition switch: on-off-on-off-on
    3) left turn signal: twice
    4) key fob button: twice

Both blinkers blinked once. Indicating the first digit of the code. I then pressed the left turn signal once and the red key flashed. Count the number of times it flashes and that is the selected number. Press the left turn signal and count the red key flashes until it as at the number you want.

Press the key fob button twice. The blinkers will blink twice, indicating it is on the second digit of the code. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes until it is at the digit you want.

Continue pattern to set digits 3-5 of the code.

Turn ignition off when done.

To manually override:
    1) ensure system/alarm is activated
    2) kill switch: off
    3) ignition switch: accessory (not ignition)
    4) turn signals: hold both immediately after turning ignition switch to accessory.

The red key will begin flashes quickly and the blinkers should blink once. Press the left turn signal until the red key flashes the number of times for the first digit of your code. Press the right signal. The blinkers will flash twice indicating it is on the second digit. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes for the appropriate number. Continue the pattern for digits 3-5. After entering the 5th digit correctly, the system will disarm.
    • 1855 posts
    August 21, 2014 8:03 AM PDT
    And my bike pulled into the station an hour ago. LOL
  • September 6, 2014 12:56 PM PDT
     I have a 2004 Sprnger Soft Tail that I set the alarm and lost the push button fob. How can I manually over ride the system? I don't know the PIN number. Can anyone help?

• 84 posts
    September 30, 2014 5:23 AM PDT
    Lucky,

I was riding today and my mind was wandering as it often does. But today it popped into my head about bikes not starting due to uncleared fault codes and I began wondering if any of the problems people are having could be due to that?

There's a long list of fault codes and something as simple as a faulty clutch switch, neutral light switch or faulty security module can keep the bike from starting. The FOB is working and the lights won't flash when the bike is moved but the red key light stays on and the starter will not engage. Or the key light will come on while riding and not go out. It's easy to clear and will get you on the road in minutes.
  • December 28, 2014 3:22 AM PST
    Hi I have just bought an ULTRA CVO 2015 with the new BOOM BOX.
    I tried to follow the manual to set my own PIN code (according to table 16, page 114)-I use a Swedish manual so the page number is probably not the same, but table and pictures should work-I hope
    1. Decided a code-I did
    2. Set the motor switch (No 15 in picture 16, page 63) to RUN (with the FOB code key nearby)
    3. Motor switch OFF-RUN-OFF-RUN
    4. Press left turn signal 2 times, now the text "ENTER PIN" should be shown-but nothing happens...
    I tried also to press Right turn key after, but still nothing
    I tried with "Fork" locked and not locked-no difference.

What is the problem?
  • April 8, 2015 8:58 PM PDT
     Hi just ben told if anyone has a problem trying to start bike when battery has been cherged up and put back to rmember to
    PUT KEY IN IGNITION AND SET TO ON, THIS WILL SORT THE PROBLEM OUT.
    also ALWAYS REMOVE BATTERY WITH IGNITION ON !!

NICE TO TELL US EH?

jUST GOING TO TRY THIS NOW, CANT DO IT ON UR OWN AS IT NEEDS 2 PEOPLE , AS U NEED TO PUT IT IN ON AN ANGLE !!

WISH ME LUCK , WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP

THE PROB I HAD WAS I SET BUKE TO ON, CLICKED RUN AND ALARM WENT OFF , SO  I DID A PIN START OVER RIDE , AND IT STARTED, BUT AGAIN AFTER U TOOK KEY OUT , U HAD TO DO A PIN OVER RIDE AGAIN.
  • April 11, 2015 12:45 PM PDT
     Just have the dealer disarm it and no worrys about it.   Also they give you the codes incase you want to rearm it later no problems especially if battery dies etc or drop it just get it disarm one half hour labor.h