Bike of the Month Categories

• 5417 posts
    February 24, 2010 10:51 AM PST
    Since the Bike of the Month continues to get more and more entries each month, I was thinking of splitting it into categories.  I would do this for two reasons.  1) With 40 Bikes listed, scrolling down through all the pics, and than back to the voting is gonna get to be a pain.  2) The current Poll software only allows for 30 options, and I don't really feel like modifying it right now.

I want to keep the categories simple and still kind of general, maybe 2 or three categories at most for now.  My first thoughts were...

Custom - Includes all custom built bikes and factory bikes with modifications to frame or structure
    Stock - All factory bikes with no mods to frame or structure (includes all factory bikes with custom paint, etc)

or

Old School
    Modern Era
    (not sure if we have enough old school to make a difference)

or

American
    Metric
    And possibly a seperate category for Sport Bikes if we have enough.

Any suggestions on which of the above sounds good, or any new ways to split the categories?

• February 24, 2010 11:09 AM PST
    I like the sound of this one.

Custom - Includes all custom built bikes and factory bikes with modifications to frame or structure
    Stock - All factory bikes with no mods to frame or structure (includes all factory bikes with custom paint, etc)

Maybe with a sport bike category also.
    • 0 posts
    February 24, 2010 11:14 AM PST
    I agree;
    Custom/stock
  • February 24, 2010 1:23 PM PST
    good idea Lucky I like the first one but also think maybe a spot for custom bikes that are garage built. I hate it when I put ether bike in a show and some one shows up with a custom that he put out big bucks for and dosent even know how to change his own oil. How can my 41 year old bike compete with a $75,000 custom
  • February 24, 2010 1:29 PM PST
    Maybe do a certain bike type each month? Like April might be Sport Bike, May Baggers, June Rat-Bikes, July Touring, etc.
    Just a thought.
    • 190 posts
    February 24, 2010 2:33 PM PST
    The custom/stock sounds best to me then old school/modern.
    Or maybie: Custom (hand built/built to order/highly customized or modified) and stock/slightly modified catagorys. might help include all styles and makes of bikes. Just an idea, input welcome.
    • 467 posts
    February 24, 2010 2:40 PM PST
    I like the first suggestion--custom/stock. But then I can diferentiate between what has been built by loving hands and what was built by a fat wallet!
    • 1516 posts
    February 24, 2010 2:43 PM PST
    something about this sound familiar
    • 1161 posts
    February 24, 2010 4:15 PM PST
    Custom / Stock sounds good, But as for Bullmoose's comment I can understand that aswell.
    • 513 posts
    February 24, 2010 7:56 PM PST
     Anything with a good looking chick catagory!

1. American Stock (as defined in first post post)

2. Metric Stock (defined same as American bikes)

3. All Custom (though I do understand BullMoose's argument) 

4. Sport (If enough)

This sounds good!
  • February 24, 2010 8:18 PM PST
    Dyna wrote...
     Anything with a good looking chick catagory!

1. American Stock (as defined in first post post)

2. Metric Stock (defined same as American bikes)

3. All Custom (though I do understand BullMoose's argument) 

4. Sport (If enough)

maybe do the stock/ mild custom and then an "open" class for those high dollar customs or radically altered that everone seems to be concerned about..and i have to agree with them as well..most of us cant compete with a $75,000 custom

• 1780 posts
    February 24, 2010 11:20 PM PST
    Looks like everyone has covered this pretty well.........except
    (1. Women own bikes with the owner posing of course in a bathing suit of her choice
    (2. Men own bikes with the owner posing with all the empty beer cans laying around they just drank....more cans more votes

Well it was a through......not much of one, but my contribution
    Dragon
    • 1780 posts
    February 24, 2010 11:24 PM PST
    Flatlander wrote...
    nightdragon wrote...
    Looks like everyone has covered this pretty well.........except
    (1. Women own bikes with the owner posing of course in a bathing suit of her choice
    (2. Men own bikes with the owner posing with all the empty beer cans laying around they just drank....more cans more votes

Well it was a through......not much of one, but my contribution
    Dragon

(3. Bikes not required for women in Bathing Suits)...........

I can live with that!!
    Dragon
    • 19004 posts
    February 24, 2010 11:27 PM PST
    bullmoose wrote...
    good idea Lucky I like the first one but also think maybe a spot for custom bikes that are garage built. I hate it when I put ether bike in a show and some one shows up with a custom that he put out big bucks for and dosent even know how to change his own oil. How can my 41 year old bike compete with a $75,000 custom

Sadly you can not to the rubs but to true oldschooler and odlschool thinkers you are way ahead. I always appreciate garage built over the paid for customs.

• February 25, 2010 1:22 AM PST
    How about a POS/rat category? I might actually post a pic for this one...otherwise no chance against the rest of ya. Gotta remember I clean toilets for a living!
    • 5417 posts
    February 25, 2010 2:50 AM PST
    Thanks for all the feedback.  It looks like the majority are with the Stock/Custom classes in some form.

I like bullmoose's suggestion "think maybe a spot for custom bikes that are garage built", but the problem there is sometimes in the pictures it is hard to tell.  To be honest Bullmoose, if I didn't know you and just saw your bike, I would have thought is was professionally built and you dropped big $$$ on it.  I think most of our users are going to appreciate the garage builds much more anyway - from what I have seen in past voting.

I also like fxrdude's idea of "Custom, American Stock, Metric Stock & Sport Bike".  That is probably where we are going to go next month if the entries keep increasing like the have.

So for this month we are going with the basic Stock / Custom, with additional categories added as needed.

Thanks again for the input.
  • February 25, 2010 5:08 AM PST
    thanks Lucky i dont think I have more than 10 grand tied up in both bikes, but I am a cheep SOB
    • 1509 posts
    February 25, 2010 8:02 AM PST
    I think That this could get as sticky as the thread about why Victory was left out.

I think the list should look like this

1.) Customs ; any factory build custom motor cycle (OCC, Big Dog, Iron Horse ) produced and sold for profit!

2.) Chopper / Bobber ; Home made customs produced for a person for themselves.

3.) Vintage : Any make model 20 years or older

4.) Production : All Cycles less than 20 years old.
    • 5417 posts
    February 27, 2010 5:37 AM PST
    Ok, for this month, to keep it simple, we are going with two categories....

Stock - Factory built bikes including those with custom paint and bolt on accessories.

Chopper & Custom - Any chopper built or factory made or and custom bike, including stock bikes with modifications to and of the frame or metal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Next month will will have the following categories...

Stock - Factory production bike including those with custom paint and bolt on accessories. We may break this down to American, Metric, and Sport, depending on the number of entries.

Factory Customs & Choppers - any factory build custom motor cycle (OCC, Big Dog, Iron Horse ) produced and sold for profit!

Custom Build - Any custom built bike, or factory bike with mods to the frame, metal, or basic structure.

Vintage - Any Bike originally manufactured before 1980 1985
    • 1516 posts
    February 27, 2010 5:46 AM PST
    bullmoose wrote...
    thanks Lucky i dont think I have more than 10 grand tied up in both bikes, but I am a cheep SOB

Cheap SOB or not, I vote for yours everytime!!!

• 1509 posts
    February 27, 2010 6:28 AM PST
    Nice job Lucky:

the thing I don't agree with call it personal or what.In Pa. Antique is 25 years, Clasic is 15 years and older, I thought Vintage should change accordingly. My Opinion.

Your decision I will agree with!

hand
  • February 27, 2010 6:38 AM PST
    So what happens if you have an American metric? Like the HD V-rod or a Victory.
    • 5417 posts
    February 27, 2010 7:37 AM PST
    RiverRat0 wrote...
    So what happens if you have an American metric? Like the HD V-rod or a Victory.

We are going to try our best to keep all the stocks togethere, with maybe the splitting out of sport bikes.  But again, as with everything on the site, we will cross the bridges as they come.

• 5417 posts
    February 27, 2010 7:39 AM PST
    Good point Ed and Blaine, probably will change that to 1985.
    • 1509 posts
    February 27, 2010 7:42 AM PST
    cool