Night riding

• 601 posts
    February 17, 2010 8:29 AM PST
    Any of you guys like riding at night. Personally i love it, its nothing spiritual . I just love the added sense of concentration you need on a dark road not being able to second guess the road. Everything seems to come a lot quicker, and your reactions sharper. You've got to be alert to all road conditions because you see them at the last second, i like to pull a bit more throttle just to liven things up a wee bit. Last weekend i had to ride 80 miles at night in the rain, this is more or less the same journey I would do twice a week by day, but there is a sense of achievement on doing it at night, its like you've beaten them again, but in the dark. You are always on your own on a bike, but at night, your really out there. Of course you get the tools in cars who won't dip headlights, i usually veer to their side of the road and give lights full on, you will always win,cos you know what your doing and can change quick, whereas he dont know the fck whats happening....makes a change to scare them once in a while. What do you think ...do you like it or nay.
    • 2072 posts
    February 17, 2010 8:33 AM PST
    I ride a lot at night. Something about the stars and clear sky that makes me feel good. Of course, where I live ya gott always be on the lookout for deer and other four legged critters!!!
    • 190 posts
    February 17, 2010 9:38 AM PST
    Yeah...ridin in the night is kinda cool. The whole wide open road all to yourself and a few vehicles......Theres a certain sense of delight in moonlit rides....in the rain? Well, ive ridden in downpours and that really is close to 'payin your dues' if ever there was one. The sense of acomplishment when you finally make it to the safe refuge of a dry warm garage and your bike and you in one piece....
  • February 17, 2010 9:41 AM PST
    I'd rather ride at night than during the day.
  • February 17, 2010 10:05 AM PST
    some reason I always liked riding at nights ,I enjoy the endless sky with the stars jus shining from the dark most time I ride by my self so dont care much for the country roads at night. I take the high way at night ! ...cant wait to ride again !
    • 601 posts
    February 17, 2010 10:16 AM PST
    SKY wrote...
    some reason I always liked riding at nights ,I enjoy the endless sky with the stars jus shining from the dark most time I ride by my self so dont care much for the country roads at night. I take the high way at night ! ...cant wait to ride again !

Where we come from Sky its all country roads, highway in Ireland is 50 miles of four lane blacktop, if you see a tailight on an Irish road, its probably your own. Riding on your own here is safe, your only worry is your own abilities and the reliability of your bike, roadside crime is unheard of here.
  • February 17, 2010 11:31 AM PST
    I'm probably the only wuss here! I like being able to see where I'm goin! I like to feel the sun on my face, but sometimes riding at night its nice to not hear the hubbub of the day.
  • February 17, 2010 11:41 AM PST
    later the better
    • 0 posts
    February 17, 2010 11:45 AM PST
    Night is always better. On a bike or on the water. More peaceful, more alive, more aware.
    • 1 posts
    February 17, 2010 11:45 AM PST
    I like to ride to work 2pm-10pm so when I get out it's dark. It's a winding road up through the woods, as close to going off road without actually leaving the road. Your eyes had better be OPEN!!!! On thing that really gets me is when the headlights on the car behind you shine out past your headlight.
    • 1040 posts
    February 17, 2010 1:20 PM PST
    Night is good. Its like you and the world all by yourself if on the country roads. The only thing that makes me a tad skiddish is riden the country roads when the deer are moving; but, makes for more heightened awareness and its worth it for the ride.
    • 1780 posts
    February 17, 2010 6:42 PM PST
    We shall not go quietly into the night......Rolling Thunder
    Dragon
    • 66 posts
    February 17, 2010 7:44 PM PST
    roos emus and such make night riding hard here
  • February 17, 2010 9:15 PM PST
    Yall is lucky, night riding here anywhere inland 10 or more miles from the coast is "BugsVille". I'm not talking little flys and mosquito's, we got bugs as big as birds here, all it takes is one or two across your faceshield or windshield and you can't see. Forget about riding without a full face hel;met or windscreen to hide behind. The next pain is dodging 18-wheeler tires at night time on 95 or the turnpike, the car ahead straddles them, gotta stay on your toes.
    • 126 posts
    February 17, 2010 11:06 PM PST
    I like riding at night or just riding to work at 4am. It is all interstate but nice becouse not all the trafic. Just you and your bike.
  • February 17, 2010 11:21 PM PST
    I agree with flatlander, riding at night is okay but.... I hate BUGS... Ya gotta clean them off sometime! I've even had a bat or two bounce off my helment while chasing bugs in my lights! Not to mention the DEER!!!
    • 19007 posts
    February 17, 2010 11:24 PM PST
    OK I guess I am in the minority here. Night vision is getting worse and headlights in my eyes exacerbate the the problem. I did enjoy it when the vision was not a problem but now I do not do it much, especially on unfamiliar roads.
  • February 17, 2010 11:43 PM PST
    The last hundred miles from Orlando south riding home from the Tail of the Dragon on the turnpike was dark, fell in behind a Mercedes coupe with daytime bright running lights and used him as a scout looking ahead at the road over his roof, worked out great.
    • 2 posts
    February 18, 2010 12:51 AM PST
    Used to like night riding a lot - or at least liked it a lot if the skies were clear enough to see the stars or if I was running along a lake shore on a moon lit nite.
    Now there are so many whitetails about that I ride in fear, never glancing at the stars. Usually try to get in back of a car or better yet a truck, hoping that there are no whitetails suicidal enough to run between us.

The peepers on the Ulysses are a bit anemic - going to try to add some landing lights or something (more likely Wally-World auxiliary lights) - Hella makes some real burners but they are expensive
    • 513 posts
    February 18, 2010 6:48 AM PST
    I love riding at night, there is something soothing about it.
  • February 18, 2010 7:00 AM PST
    I enjoy the ride at night but when living in Wisconsin between 3 wildlife refuges the spring new grass and fall rut was crazy. Spred the driving lights to the edges and high beam looking for the government herds. If you saw 1 look for 3 more. Would go out and count evening grazes of over 40 in ten min. Had Grill crash guard on ambulances and used it more than 5 times once twice on 1 trip.
  • February 18, 2010 7:31 AM PST
    Roads that I thought I knew really well took on a whole new life when I rode them at night. Got to the point when I went for a " wind down ride " every night I wasnt working
  • February 19, 2010 11:44 PM PST
    One of the night flying critters attracted to headlights we have down here makes you want to puke instantly from the smell alone, like getting hit in the face with an egg.
    • 1 posts
    February 20, 2010 12:25 AM PST
    bikersarge1 wrote...
    I agree with flatlander, riding at night is okay but.... I hate BUGS... Ya gotta clean them off sometime! I've even had a bat or two bounce off my helment while chasing bugs in my lights! Not to mention the DEER!!!

I forgot to mention that I really hate bugs, especially those big swarms of little white bugs towards evening. Here you have to watch for deer even during the day. 
  • February 20, 2010 12:28 AM PST
    Love the feeling of riding at night into a warm Summer's eve. Senses heightened, feeling the rumble beneath me and following the path of the headlamp into the night. Life is good.