Night riding

• February 20, 2010 3:03 AM PST
    later the better

Thats what I'm talking about !!! ...
  • February 20, 2010 3:11 AM PST
    ingababy wrote...
    Love the feeling of riding at night into a warm Summer's eve. Senses heightened, feeling the rumble beneath me and following the path of the headlamp into the night. Life is good.

yes life is  more good !! specialy when you  can roll  Day and Night with your own bike ...  lol  
  • February 20, 2010 3:40 AM PST
    rory1 wrote...
    SKY wrote...
    some reason I always liked riding at nights ,I enjoy the endless sky with the stars jus shining from the dark most time I ride by my self so dont care much for the country roads at night. I take the high way at night ! ...cant wait to ride again !

Where we come from Sky its all country roads, highway in Ireland is 50 miles of four lane blacktop, if you see a tailight on an Irish road, its probably your own. Riding on your own here is safe, your only worry is your own abilities and the reliability of your bike, roadside crime is unheard of here.

ic.. thats good !  yes  I do like to ride country side if I'm only  with my friend , I jus dont  trust the  crazy drivers more at night you know they call Hit and Run that would be my Luck .. LOL ..and also  Deer's dont have  Mercy at country side it's  frightening  but  I can handle the bugssss  ha ha ha ..... love Summer Night's is jus  awesome to roll....
  • February 20, 2010 3:59 AM PST
    My best friend hit a deer on his bike about 7 years ago... his body is held together by rods, pins, plates. And, he's in constant discomfort 7 yrs later. He wishes they didn't revive him. So, riding country roads is not something I would intentionally do. Yet, riding in the city around here is no picnic either. Too many cars that don't see you. To add to that... my night vision sucks! 1/2 of why I ride is to enjoy and soak in my surroundings. If I can't see my surroundings to well, there goes 1/2 the reason for riding for me!
    • 19004 posts
    February 20, 2010 4:20 AM PST
    This driving scene makes me want to ride on a warm summer night somewhere in Maimi...

http://www.youtube.com/v/b5C4N7UwVS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5C4N7UwVS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0">
    • 5417 posts
    February 20, 2010 8:07 AM PST
    Depends on the mood. A lot of times if I have been riding all day, I probably don't have the mindset you talked about, peaceful quite ride, with the stars above. Then I always try to get home before dark.

But there are many of times where I will be sitting home on a nice evening and just get in the mood for a nice night ride...either through the canyons to to east, or up the coast to the west.
  • February 20, 2010 8:34 AM PST
    my favorite time to ride is reallyh early in the morning. i take off around 4am with one of my buddies, we head whereever the road takes us, and there is nothing like riding while the sun is just coming up. also there are less idiots in cars that early in the morning
  • February 20, 2010 12:05 PM PST
    Me thinks Rex is a romantic night rider. Lights on the water... midnight on the bay.... old Young/Stills tune, btw.
  • February 23, 2010 5:57 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    OK I guess I am in the minority here. Night vision is getting worse and headlights in my eyes exacerbate the the problem. I did enjoy it when the vision was not a problem but now I do not do it much, especially on unfamiliar roads.

I understand that completely.

• February 23, 2010 6:10 AM PST
    Cathy wrote...
    I like to ride to work 2pm-10pm so when I get out it's dark. It's a winding road up through the woods, as close to going off road without actually leaving the road. Your eyes had better be OPEN!!!! On thing that really gets me is when the headlights on the car behind you shine out past your headlight.

Sounds like upstate NY.  I spent 6 months in Saratoga Springs and wish I had my motorcycle while I was there.  Great roads through the trees.
    • 467 posts
    February 23, 2010 6:14 AM PST
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    I ride a lot at night. Something about the stars and clear sky that makes me feel good. Of course, where I live ya gott always be on the lookout for deer and other four legged critters!!!

That's no doubt! You can not even believe what an elk will do to you on a bike!  I too, would like to ride more at night, but we have everything from bobcats to elk runnin' our roads!
  • February 23, 2010 7:39 AM PST
    I seldom ride my bike at night but that is only because I am usually home bound at dark. I really prefer the travel at night because you can see other vehicles better due to the contrast of the dark with the headlights. Road hazards though could be a problem!
    • 31 posts
    September 1, 2016 11:14 AM PDT

i like riding at night , had to start putting reflector on back off biker its totaly black. had tails go out lucky and a guy flashed me at a stop light to tell me he couldnt see me.nevada back roads are a littel hard on wireing and lights

• 58 posts
    September 5, 2016 7:11 AM PDT

I'm with you, Rex.  The lights can be gruesome and then there are the drunks who don't know what a dimmer switch is...  I get off work 0400 - 0500.  The drunks on the road in Dallas are thicker n flies.  I get out of town fast as I can and get on the quiet backroads with the occasional deer or armadillo.

• 19004 posts
    September 7, 2016 4:21 AM PDT

My night vision problem has been corrected with cataract surgery and now it is sooooo much better to ride at night. BUT...still so damn many critters out here, freakin jack-rabbits (some as big as dogs and really suicidal) and javelinas...

• 1855 posts
    September 9, 2016 5:35 AM PDT

Glaucoma has made night riding impossible for me.  I'm 68 years old and in a few years I will most likely lose my vision.  I'm taking medication to slow the process but there is no pemanent cure. I already miss riding at night and I  can only imagine being blind.  Getting old really "does" suck.  That and the health issues associated with agent orange exposure are actually disassociative disorders and can totally ruin the quality of life as one gets older.  Despite the shit people say, "getting old is all in your head"; I can't play short-stop anymore, arthritis has just about taken the guitar out of my hand, and standing in front of the refrigerator I can't remember if I'm putting the mayo back or taking it out.  But WTF, it's still a wonderful ride.

• 3006 posts
    September 11, 2016 11:30 PM PDT

Never been all that crazy about night riding.I still can see w/out glasses most text, but at night I do notice less ability to see stuff as I have grown older.Usually I avoid night riding long distances,especially free/highways,too many hazards.I like the odds,however slim stacked in my favor when riding.Local city streets I have no issue with it, I am familar w/ the traffic and the road conditions.

My younger brother was recently diagnosed w/Glaucoma and he is acting like it's no big deal,yet he does notice a small loss of vision.Getting older does suk at times, yet it usually beats being 6 ft under LOL besides who knows tomorrow they could come out with some miracle youth drug....nahh who am i Kidding?!?!! never gonna happen!!!

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 19004 posts
    September 24, 2016 3:22 AM PDT

I hit a family of Javalinas (yep the whole family of four) the other night. Blew out my right front tire and damn near put me in the ditch....thankful I am that I was in the cage and not on the bike. 

• September 24, 2016 7:03 AM PDT

Coming home last night up the mountain winding roads with a couple of switch backs, and I tell ya my night vision isn't what it use to be. Had yellow glasses on and that helped, but for the most part I would rather stick to day riding.

Be Safe out There

Night Dragon

• September 24, 2016 7:06 AM PDT

[blockquote]blurplebuzz said:

Never been all that crazy about night riding.I still can see w/out glasses most text, but at night I do notice less ability to see stuff as I have grown older.Usually I avoid night riding long distances,especially free/highways,too many hazards.I like the odds,however slim stacked in my favor when riding.Local city streets I have no issue with it, I am familar w/ the traffic and the road conditions.

My younger brother was recently diagnosed w/Glaucoma and he is acting like it's no big deal,yet he does notice a small loss of vision.Getting older does suk at times, yet it usually beats being 6 ft under LOL besides who knows tomorrow they could come out with some miracle youth drug....nahh who am i Kidding?!?!! never gonna happen!!!

stay safe & enjoy the ride

Ron you know darn well we will never go backwards, but I like the concept of getting younger. I know I'm getting older because I bitch 

about the 20 year olds, like my Dad did when I was that age....LOL

Stay safe Brother

Night Dragon

[/blockquote]

• 3 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:30 AM PST

Here in central Texas I often ride at night in the summer time being It's too hot to ride during the day.

• February 21, 2017 5:59 AM PST

I will not start a trip at night, but if I get caught out, and it get's dark on me I will use the hwy. lights I installed. These little guys put out a huge amount of light close to the road.

Be safe

Night Dragon

• 31 posts
    February 26, 2017 5:45 PM PST

so couple things about ribing into the night if you are onl have tail lights and brake lights in back and they go out no one can see you.got lucky and was pulled t he side by a biker in a car at 11pm. i now have a few reflectors an some crome you can see at night.he was very right most of use are pich black in the back

• 1161 posts
    March 6, 2017 11:22 AM PST

I avoid going out at night but I do like riding at night.  With my eyes being light sensitive headlights hurt my eyes when I don't have my sunglasses and shaded faceshield down.  I will ride if I'm caught out at night to get where I'm going but I avoid doing it if I can.

• 5 posts
    March 8, 2017 9:24 AM PST

So far I have only ridden in the dark once and it was raining. I had only been riding for two weeks, so it was an experience to say the least. I might try it again in the future, but hopefully without the rain next time.