Rain gear which type do you have

• June 8, 2009 2:22 AM PDT
    I need to buy some motorcycle rain gear. Which type do you wear and which is the best?
    • 5417 posts
    June 8, 2009 3:14 AM PDT
    Grunt,

I personally like the two piece rain gear for motorcycle riding. I find the jacket comes in handy on those chilly wet mornings to keep out the damp air. Plus when you stop to eat, it is much easier to just take off the jacket and leave the pants on.

I got mine from Harley (only because I had a gift cert I needed to use). It does cost a little more than some of the generic brands, but it is really well made and works great.

Remember, I am from Southern California, so I'm far from an expert. I think I have only worn it outside of the state :-)
  • June 8, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
    We have a lot more experience with rain gear than Lucky does.  When you ride in NC you always have your gear with you.

I do agree with Lucky that the two piece rain suit is a little more convenient.  Like he said it is nice to get the jacket off without either taking the entire suit off, or letting the top hang down which is worse because it get all crunpled under you when you sit down.  Another thing that is very important with any motorcycle rain gear is to make sure it has some type of opening in the back (usually covered with a flap or cape).  If the rain jacket doesn't have an opening in the back it will beloon up when you ride...very uncomfortable and "dorky" looking.

One thing a lot of people forget about when riding a motorcycle in the rain is their boots.  Although most good leather boots will keep the water out for a while, once it does soak through it takes forever for them to dry.  You will be riding the rest of the day (and the next day) with wet feet.  so it you are expecting to be in hard rain on your bike for an extended time, I recommend something like these...

Hope that helps you a little with your decision.

Tammy
    • 1 posts
    June 8, 2009 10:15 AM PDT
    I have used all types of suit gear and the 2 piece system are the best for me. Tammy75 made a very important comment on the ventilation on the back, also consider suspenders, boot straps and side leg zipper to allow your boots to slip over. I even get a little anal about how I pack my suit in it's bag. I put the jacket in first and then the pants and rain boots last. The rain boots go on first then the pants and last the jacket and of course the gloves. Another thing would pockets my suit allows me to get in my front and back pockets of my jeans. You can spend a lot money on rain gear that you hope you never ever need to use; but it will be the best investment you could make in a down pour.
  • June 8, 2009 10:30 AM PDT
    I always take my rain gear where ever I ride and I've used a few types and I used to say that there is no such thing as a "breathable" rain suit till I purchase a set of frogg tugg's  you  won't find them at Wal-mart but they are worth every penny!
  • June 8, 2009 10:34 AM PDT
    I've got a 2 piece suite made by Nelson Rigg. It's a pretty damn good rain suite, but like Lucky, in SoCal so we have rare opportunity to test them out in real harsh weather. Got it from J&P Cycles or Dennis Kirk, both have a pretty good selection of rain suits for a fair price.
  • June 9, 2009 4:01 AM PDT
    My rain gear is the nearest bar!!!  I can ride out the worst of storms on a bar stool with a rum & coke!
  • June 9, 2009 9:35 AM PDT
    nice one sweetsoftTail you are to funny
    • 1 posts
    June 10, 2009 7:41 AM PDT
    That is hilarious SST.

I have a one-piece rainsuit that is always on the bike. I like the one-piece because I can slip into it quickly and I only wear it in really hard rain and I like how there is no opening anywhere, or jacket to blow up.
  • June 11, 2009 11:19 AM PDT
    I'm with SweetSoftTail on this one, ride it out to the nearest watering hole. Stay intell the rain stops, or intell those famous last words have been spokin...."Last call for alcoholics, I mean alcohol"
    • 212 posts
    June 11, 2009 1:49 PM PDT
    We bought a nice rain suit at bass pro shop,works great and was reasonably priced and even in Oklahoma you stay dry,even with sideways rain and 40 mile and hour winds. Great riding weather!
    • 5417 posts
    June 16, 2009 6:51 AM PDT
    Once again I found that it really doesn't matter what type of rain gear you have...as long as you bring it with you there is a good chance it won't rain. The Redwood Run last weekend had rain predicted for days, so for the first year I brought my gear which ensured plenty of beautiful weather :-)
    • 844 posts
    June 18, 2009 9:03 AM PDT
    I have the Frogg Toggs Road Toad Rainsuit. We get some nasty storms down here, especially when I am working over in the Houston area. The Frogg Toggs really do a great job, easy to put on, and keep you plenty dry. It also has what they call Frogg Eyzz reflective technology (fancy name for the reflective strips). Those things light up like a spot light when headlights hit them. And the best thin is they pack super small. I keep them in a tool pouch that is only about 3 inches in diameter.
  • g
    August 3, 2009 10:44 AM PDT
    dont have any ,think ill get some though was caught in a wee shower yesterday for a bit .but i try not to go out in the rain if i can help it .
  • August 4, 2009 3:22 PM PDT
    One important thing not mentioned is what type of riding you are going to be using the rain gear for. Forever I carried only the cheapest rain suit I could buy. It packed small and I only used it to get out of the rain as soon as possible.

Then after a divorce, I only had my motorcycle as transportation for almost a year (go figure). That's when I had to ride my motorcycle in the rain quite a bit. When it rained it took me a little over an hour to get to work. I got my self a really nice Nelson-Rigg one-piece motorcycle rain suit. When I got to work I was as dry as anyone who rode in a car...actually even dryer, because I wore it right in and they had to get from their car to the building in the rain
  • August 26, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
    After going through two rain suits, I finally broke down and purchased the FXRG Jacket and pants. Their not cheap but they definatley work in all types of weather, From 70 degree rain to 20 degrees in the winter. Great setup!
  • August 26, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

hai,

i was new to this forum to be with you every time

i have one great topic to discuss with you please cheak it will useful

bye

-----------------------------------------------

steven

view for best topic

• August 27, 2009 1:50 AM PDT
    I have two suits... I keep a cheap rain suit stored in the saddle bag but I also have a the Tour Master
    Defender Two-Piece Rainsuit. I will pack this suit if I know I'm going to be on the road for mulitple days or if I know I have no choice but to be on the bike in the rain.

Don't for get you boot covers.. I learned the hard way that wet feet suck when you ride.

However I can't help but agree that the best place to be during a storm is not in but rather watching it from within the closest bar.

Ride safe!!!
    • 0 posts
    August 28, 2009 9:49 AM PDT
    The most important piece that I carry for rain is the Hwy bar chaps. Keeps my legs dry wearing just my leathers. 30seconds to put on.
    • 5 posts
    August 28, 2009 2:02 PM PDT
    gloves
    chaps
    leather jacket
    face mask

it is just water....
  • September 6, 2009 11:38 AM PDT
    Frogg toggs only,naked underneath.Don't want to get my clothes wet(they are in the saddle bags).
    • 21 posts
    September 30, 2009 11:51 PM PDT
    ha ha!! sweetsofttail -I agree the nearest bar is the best rain gear!!! other than that I just bought the JP cycle brand - works great - not as good as the bar but still pretty good!!!

• November 16, 2009 12:24 PM PST
    After carefully removing the melted Frog Toggs from my pipes..I purchased the new 2 peice Harley (Gray/Orange) rain gear..Im impressed with them! Kept me dry as a popcorn fart!!

I also purchased HD Heated gear..Love the gloves & jacket on the Frosty rides, havent figured out the baggy ass heated pants yet..no way will I get them things on under my jeans..Ha!
  • November 16, 2009 12:58 PM PST
    I wear the Harley one piece I bought about 15 yrs ago. It works great.
    • 1040 posts
    November 22, 2009 3:46 PM PST
    Coley wrote...
    After going through two rain suits, I finally broke down and purchased the FXRG Jacket and pants. Their not cheap but they definatley work in all types of weather, From 70 degree rain to 20 degrees in the winter. Great setup!

Coley, is this something like your talking about?....Thanks man

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370293904411&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT