Prescription Motorcycle Riding Glasses

• 5417 posts
    June 2, 2009 6:23 AM PDT
    I wanted to share a great deal I got on prescription riding glasses.

I am VERY particular about the sun glasses I wear when I ride my motorcycle.  They need to fit perfect...not too much pressure on the ear pieces, big lenses for good peripheral vision, and seal well on my face to block the wind.

I have search high and low for the perfect riding glasses...I have tried on EVERY pair of glasses from the vendors at trade shows, I have tried the glasses they sell at the Harley dealer, and have tried the ones that they carry at my eye doctor.  None were exactly what I wanted and all were very expensive...some as high as $600 with transition lenses.

So the other day while at Walmart I decided to check in their optical department just for the heck of it.  The man showed me a motorcycle riding glasses by Liberty Sport.  The Torque model fit like they were custom made for me, perfect size, fit, and comfort.  and the best thing is they were a total of $200 with transition lenses, and anti-glare coating.  Plus they come with a really nice custom strap for the windy days.

To see the complete line of motorcycle glasses from Liberty Sport go here... www.libertysport.com/products_sun_more.asp. ; And when you are ready to buy, check your local Walmart store.
  • June 2, 2009 4:42 PM PDT
    i went to the wallmart by me and just bought a pair hopefully i get them before i head off to the redwood run thanks for the info
    • 18 posts
    June 3, 2009 5:39 AM PDT
    I actually have a pair of Liberty Sport prescription riding glasses and love them. I didn't know the sold them at Walmart though, I bought mine online.
    • 2 posts
    June 4, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
    I don't wear prescription glasses, but I do have the same issues as Lucky - I need my glasses to fit perfectly when I ride my motorcycle, otherwise they really bug me. I see you can order these in regular, no prescription sunglasses, so I am going to check them out.
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2009 3:44 AM PDT
    I actually switched to prescription riding goggles a couple years back and love them. I had the same problems with fit and the ear pieces being uncomfortable. With the goggles their are no ear pieces to bother you.
  • July 20, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
    I used to deal with the prescription glasses and goggles, then I went to contacts which worked great for riding because I could just wear cheap (but cool!) sunglasses or clears at night. But I still needed to wear glasses at work...contacts not good in a burning building. Finally got the laser surgery last year and it is the best thing I ever did for myself.
  • November 1, 2009 2:43 PM PST
    I went to Wally world, Had my exam, picked out some shades I liked and had them replace the lenses. They cost 80 bucks and look great. Nobody even knows they are prescript. unless I happen to tell them during conversation.
  • November 3, 2009 11:20 AM PST
    I JUST WEAR 20 DOLLAR SHADES THAT GO OVER MY GLASSES FROM WALMART THEY SEEM TO WORK WELL SO I NEVER BOTHERED ANYTHING ELSE BUT I WILL CHEK THIS OUT THANX LDAWG
  • November 3, 2009 10:32 PM PST
    And I wear a pair of cheap goggles over my glasses also. ( I would LOVE to have lasik done tho'!)
    • 1161 posts
    January 3, 2010 6:19 PM PST
    Ty for the Info!!
  • January 3, 2010 8:34 PM PST
    ridding glasses are very important to me,but not $200 dallars worth .
  • January 14, 2010 12:30 AM PST
    Has anyone ever tried the prescription transitional lenses? How fast do they change? What about at night? To dark? I have had a terrible time finding the "right" glasses. I had finally settled into one clear and one shaded, but I lost my shades the other week. I am back on the hunt again and thought this time maybe a pair of the transitional. I hate having to carry 2 pair on the bike.

Also has anyone tried the yellow tinted for night riding. My night vision is terrible.
  • January 14, 2010 8:21 AM PST
    For any of you who also ride dirt bikes, my husband has a perscription insert that snaps into the inside of his goggles. He loves them. They came from www.888rxgoggles.com. He wears his transitional bi-focal glasses on the street bike. They darken fairly quickly. Takes a little longer to lighten back up if you go inside, but they stay clear at night.
    • 601 posts
    January 14, 2010 9:52 AM PST
    this is probably horrible but i cant help but think of Billy Connolly's story about buying his dad a "prescription Windscreen" for the car
    • 2072 posts
    January 14, 2010 2:02 PM PST
    Have a pair of prescription shades that I bought on-line and I really like them. However, like Shadow 2829.... I would like some amber ones for riding at night. Have a pair of non-prescription amber glasses and they DO make a big difference at night. Haven't been able to find prescription ones yet.
    • 5417 posts
    January 14, 2010 2:13 PM PST
    Shadow3829 wrote...
    Has anyone ever tried the prescription transitional lenses? How fast do they change? What about at night? To dark?
    Shadow, See my post...the first on in this topic.  I get those Liberty Sport with transition lenses at WalMart and they are the best glasses I have owned.  Great coverage in the sun, and go almost completely clear at night.  I know that you can also get them with the yellow night vision, but haven't tried those.
    • 190 posts
    January 14, 2010 2:19 PM PST
    I dont wear a percsription, but I got a pair of bobster, photochromatic (transitional) glasses at a motorcycle expo, roadmaster is the name of the style, they run about 50 bucks and seem to fit well and suit my needs, and they can be changed to goggles. The lenses are always a little dark, so, not good if its pitch black, but work well were theres street lights. I have heard 7eye and wiley x are very good, but are around 100+/ for a pair.
  • January 14, 2010 7:21 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Shadow3829 wrote...
    Has anyone ever tried the prescription transitional lenses? How fast do they change? What about at night? To dark?
    Shadow, See my post...the first on in this topic.  I get those Liberty Sport with transition lenses at WalMart and they are the best glasses I have owned.  Great coverage in the sun, and go almost completely clear at night.  I know that you can also get them with the yellow night vision, but haven't tried those.

Based on your recommendations, thank you! I went on the hunt of them yesterday. Our Walmart didn't have them, but I found a vision center that did, they were a bit more pricey, but not to bad. I may go back. I do know I am going with the transitionals. I hate having to carry 2 pair on the bike. Getting the right glasses has been a nightmare and expensive. My last pair prescribition had  bi-focals, not knowing any better, I had them put that in my riding glasses. Huge mistake! They vibrated and moved around when I road, made me dizzy. So I went back and another pair made with the bi-focals. I think I bought 4 pair of glasses last year trying to find a pair that worked well on the bike.

• 1040 posts
    January 14, 2010 8:50 PM PST
    Shadow3829 wrote...
    Has anyone ever tried the prescription transitional lenses? How fast do they change? What about at night? To dark? I have had a terrible time finding the "right" glasses. I had finally settled into one clear and one shaded, but I lost my shades the other week. I am back on the hunt again and thought this time maybe a pair of the transitional. I hate having to carry 2 pair on the bike.

Also has anyone tried the yellow tinted for night riding. My night vision is terrible.

fxrdude writes...Shadow, the yellow tints are all I wear when riding day or night. I have for many years worn the traditional black/gray sunglasses lens and never a problem. One day about 7 or so years ago I was at WallyWorld looking for yellow tint glasses to fish with. Having never even worn a pair before I tried them on and was taken aback by the sharpness and crispness of these glasses. Also for me the color green seems to radiate out more when wearing and the trees/grass seem to just jump rtight out at ya. I have worn the yellow tint only since, and I wear my glasses all the time. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing them when I'm in my cage and wear them while night driving as they work so well for me. Anyway, I'm not tryin to sell ya on em because we all have our own needs and reactions to different situations. Check em out if ya get a chance and se if they are what you need/want and can be purchased in prescription as I have been told.

• 1161 posts
    January 15, 2010 1:33 PM PST
    I went to my local Walmarts (2) and they dont even carry them. dang crappy little towns lol. going to have to order them online.
    • 9 posts
    October 26, 2010 9:52 AM PDT
    Geez Lucky,
    You couldn't of come up with that at a better time if you tried. The glasses I usually wear are "Predators" by Ray-Ban. The problem was having them converted to prescription. And even then, the curve in the shades sometimes wouldn't hold the lense itself in properly. I went thru 3 pairs, to the tune of $300-400 per pair. Lenscrafters were the only one's I found who would even attempt to "upgrade" them for me. I checked out Liberty's site, and I've already found the pair I want, at a substantially lower rate. Shipping and all, all you have to do is email them your prescription, and they take care of the rest. Rock on, Ride Free and thanks for the bodacious tip!
  • November 4, 2010 6:58 AM PDT
    Wow, thought I was the only one that struggled with this issue. I bought a pair of Liberty sun glasses from wally world two years ago that were polarized and a second pair that are clear for riding at night. Coat the inside with anti fog goo and the outside with rain-x. I love these.
    • 5417 posts
    November 4, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
    Yep, been a year with the Liberty glasses and still holding up great. And trust me I am hard on my sun glasses...never had a pair last over a year yet.
    • 22 posts
    June 6, 2019 2:38 AM PDT

Riding glasses are not a bad idea. I wear it for long or short riding. I have two which I get from Walmart.