Learning to Ride

• 6 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:39 PM PDT

Man, back like 10 years ago this site was hoppin, I wonder what happened to everyone, out riding I hope. Well I thought I'd post a topic and see if we can't get some kind of cool exchange of stories and discussion going like the good ol days! 

Was riding around Mill Creek Park in Youngstown Ohio with Gina the other day and it brought back a mess of memories and made me wonder how y'all learned to ride a bike. I've heard stories of dirt bikes from young age, mini bikes and whatnot. That was not my story. I spend a decent amount of my childhood around motorcycles, and rode on the back a good bit in my early teen years. When I was 16 I bought my first motorcycle, a 4 cylinder Yamaha 650 Maxim. Took it up and down the street once but it wasn't running well at all and I didn't have money to fix it up, so that first bike spent an awful lot of time in the garage. A couple years later though, my dad put me on his early 80's XS650 twin. Top heavy, worn tires, at some point laid down and rebuilt once because the headlight aimed drunk and it shook if you went over 55-60... but it's what he had. I didn't have many "lessons." He gave me the key, pointed me toward the park and said have fun (after he knew I could get it moving and stopped obviously). And then it was hours of twists, hills, stops, starts going uphill, dodging potholes, gravel washed intersections, pedestrians, critters, etc. Speeds were pretty low most of the time but man ya learn to use the clutch and brakes and how to corner and steer. And soon after that, I got my first real "hey, it runs like it should and I ride it every day" bike. I went through a couple other Yamaha's that never did work right LOL. 

SO, that's my story, lets hear yours! 

• 19004 posts
    July 4, 2020 7:45 AM PDT

Some of us are still here...and still the best site for biker rallies info Nate.