Ape Hangers Yea or Nae

• 3 posts
    December 4, 2019 6:53 PM PST
    I've always had apes on my bikes and over the years I've been asked aren't the uncomfortable on long rides or do they affect the handling. I personally find them more comfortable than any other type of handlebar that ive ridden with. As far as affecting the handle my answer is of course any change you make to a bike is going to affect how it handles
    This post was edited by Batesbikertrash at December 4, 2019 6:54 PM PST
    • 19004 posts
    December 5, 2019 6:32 AM PST

As for handling they do affect it somewhat but hell, I ride a 700 lb cruiser and comfort is more important, and Damn they look good. too. I have had them since the early nineties. The first time I sat on my 93 FXDWG i said that this feels right and natural. Replaced the stock 12"ers with 16. When I bought Rex (04 Road King), the first thing I did was put a set of 16" chubbies on him.

• 3 posts
    December 5, 2019 8:06 AM PST
    Rex I ride a dyna low rider with 18s and before the I rode an old 75 ironhead rigid frame with a set of 20s The dyna handles like a dream but I guess anything would after rider the old sporty lol
    • 1855 posts
    December 22, 2019 6:49 AM PST

I fractured C2 and C3 a decade ago or more.  6 months in a halo braced fixed me pretty good and I didn't need surgery.  Getting back on the bike was a no-brainer but my physical comfort wasn't so good.  I tried all kinds of bars and ended up with apes.  My God what a difference they made, especially when riding without a windshield.  Even without back and neck issues the apes will always be my preference.

• 1161 posts
    June 9, 2020 7:48 AM PDT

It was the most comfortable fit myself.  I have a 1980 Honda CM400T with 12" apes and my 03 Honda VTX 1800C  has 12" apes  with 4" risers.  They work great for me being a shorter guy with back and neck problems.

• 3 posts
    July 25, 2020 12:09 AM PDT
    14” Khromewerks original apes on my ‘12 RK.a couple of inches below my shoulders.
    • 84 posts
    August 9, 2020 11:46 PM PDT

Depends on if you prefer form over function or function over form.  I ride a Lowrider with 130,000 miles and keep it as close to stock as possible.

• 31 posts
    September 5, 2022 7:18 PM PDT

I have 16" apes and love them. Ride from the great State of Texas to Calif several times a year, no discomfort from the bars.

• 2 posts
    November 13, 2022 10:41 AM PST
    Just throwing this out there - my fiance is a motorcycle mechanic and through a client of his that was installing ape hangers we were informed that they are against the law in California if they are tall enough to cause your wrist to be higher than your shoulder while driving. That was from a vendor in California that I was ordering the bars from.
    • 10 posts
    November 20, 2022 2:54 PM PST

I have had a standing $500 bet. Your ape hanger bike, me, my 2020 Slim. 

From Yelm Stewarts Meats to the Elby weigh station. 

No takers yet. (best check the map)