Heated Gear, Use It ?

• 3006 posts
    November 28, 2019 10:53 AM PST

Just getting into riding more lately and here in N Calif the air temps can get downright chilly.Never have used heated riding gear myself,yet I have recently been reviewing whats available on the market.

Usually in colder temps I just layer on myself,yet I want to ride longer in comfort to some degree and these old bones been barking at me since I turned 60.Any advice or suggestions ? 

Have a Happy Turkey Day

Stay safe & enjoy the ride friends !!!

• 18989 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:40 AM PST

Even in PA when winter riding all I ever had trouble with was my hands. I never used but considered heated gloves. What I did was carry those chem heater Hot Hands pads and put them between my glove liners and outer gloves. They worked out fairly well.

This post was edited by RexTheRoadDog at November 29, 2019 6:41 AM PST
    • 3006 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:18 PM PST

That is a good idea.Most of the heated gloves are pretty pricey,not to mention finding the right fit/style,good heating time.With rechargable batteries,really not looking to hook into my ride.Yet from what I gather the best set-ups run off the motorcycle battery yet the prices are high.

stay safe & enjoy the ride !

• 31 posts
    January 3, 2020 9:26 PM PST

Riding over Yosemite freezing or buts off took a brake at the gas station .an old Harley guy stopped to chat told us to get electric liners they would make are trips way more fun.took 2 years before I took his advice got jacket liner and chap liner .went to Utah in November to buy a truck got a brake in the weather so we suited up it was 48 when we left tonopah nv we were just alittalle cold with the electric liners on medium both of us .wired both suit to the bike so we could plug in just under my but.I ride a o3 softail made it to Ely and it was a good ride.left Ely the next day at 38 degrees wished I had got the gloves.still road comfortably got to oram Utah loaded the bike and came home.very good ride they have a prominent spot on the bike now

• 3006 posts
    February 13, 2020 10:56 AM PST

@ Shunka, thanks for the info ! I am looking at picking up a pair of battery heated gloves. The heated suit working off the ride is ideal for longer rides. Happy to hear the ride went well.

I limit my cold weather riding, temps in the 40's are a no go for me these days. 

• 3 posts
    March 5, 2020 4:23 PM PST
    I rode to the Mackinac bridged at the MI Penninsula, and it was snowing. I installed the new heating grips after the trip. It works great.
    This post was edited by bikerladyme at March 8, 2020 5:03 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    March 8, 2020 10:18 AM PDT

• 31 posts
    March 8, 2020 10:20 AM PDT

Well going to have to get a set off these ,some where some time we always end riding when it's cold

• 3 posts
    March 8, 2020 5:04 PM PDT
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R6KW948/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Avon Grips MT-IN-AIR-90CBH Air Cushioned H

This post was edited by bikerladyme at March 8, 2020 5:05 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    March 8, 2020 7:22 PM PDT

Never used heated gear, just leather to break the wind, face mask, windshield, etc... I use fleece lined welder's gloves in the winter and if it's real cold I take turns putting my hands on the engine block lol. Not saying it's the best idea in the world, but ya know... lol 

• 1855 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:08 AM PDT

Nope

• 2 posts
    September 2, 2020 3:19 PM PDT

If you are a die hard rider— you have got to have heated gear. Colorado Rockies rider.

• 3 posts
    November 10, 2020 7:43 AM PST

That is a good idea.Most of the heated gloves are pretty pricey,not to mention finding the right fit/style,good heating time.With rechargable batteries,really not looking to hook into my ride.Yet from what I gather the best set-ups run off the motorcycle battery yet the prices are high.

I agree. Heated gloves are usually a waste of cash.
    This post was edited by Ciclyst at November 10, 2020 7:43 AM PST
    • 295 posts
    November 11, 2020 10:30 PM PST
    I've been using The Gerbings for the last 12 years, coldest was 8 degrees (below -0 with the wind chill) Good stuff, wouldn't invest in any other. which are now https://gordonsheated.com/index.php/contact-us Gordon's Heated Clothing 4242 Mayhill Dr SE
    Port Orchard, WA 98366

This post was edited by djroadking at November 11, 2020 10:30 PM PST
    • 84 posts
    January 7, 2021 10:12 PM PST

Heated Gear, Use It ?

Nope
    This post was edited by Snakechrmr at January 7, 2021 10:13 PM PST
    • 16 posts
    January 8, 2021 10:17 AM PST

Never have !

• 13 posts
    August 18, 2021 11:40 PM PDT

I just wear wool socks and layers to keep me warm.