Poker run liability coverage

• 2 posts
    August 27, 2019 1:41 PM PDT

I wanted to ask those involved in planning/organizing any kind of motorcycle runs what they do for event liability.  An organization I belong to hosts an annual poker run to benefit a weekend program of the local public elementary school.  This program depends completely on private donations.  My organization operates under the tax ID number of our parent group, the local chamber of commerce.  The event liability insurance we have had for the past 3 events cuts significantly into the net proceeds.  Can anyone tell me of a reasonable insurance group to look into for "cheap" liability insurance for our event? 

• 19007 posts
    August 28, 2019 8:02 AM PDT

Always been a thorn...It has been a while since I was involved in setting up poker runs and I see things have not changed. Ya might look into AMA endorsements and insurance.

• 2 posts
    August 28, 2019 8:58 AM PDT

Thanks Rex.  WE currently are paying for a special event rider on the parent organizations general liability.  Still a ridiculous fee for a 6 hour activity to my idea.

• 1855 posts
    September 13, 2019 7:49 AM PDT

Never needed liability insurance for a poker run.  There are a number of waiver of liability forms available and all perfectly valid. Whenever we ran a poker run we never included the clubs name or any sponsors in advertising, just the charity.  I suppose a good deal of it depends on the state where one lives. You cannot be in charge of or responsible for another person's world.

• 3006 posts
    September 28, 2019 11:35 AM PDT

I have never organized a motorcycle ride/meet,yet I know that special event coverages can usually be shopped around through local Insurance Brokers,out here, who have access to companies that provide coverage for that kind of event.It seems to me a state like where you live the rates would be considerably lower than here on the west coast.