Newbie Question(s)

• 1 posts
    March 27, 2019 12:51 PM PDT

Rencetly my "show car"/daily driver was stolen and totalled,and with a limted budget bought a 82' honda goldwing 1100.

I went into the harley davidson dealer to see & seek advice on what type of bike i should get as a starter (first),I should note i'm 6'ft 5 320+ pounds.

They immediately showed me Touring/Cruisers and said i'd be more conformtable dailying compared to an crotch rocket. Doing some research every website and expert had multiple warnings about not starting off with anything more than 500cc's.Will there be any serious disadvantages of not starting with a smaller engine.I really dont mind if this bike gets scuffed or droped i only paid a few hundred for it,also any advice or additional information from experience with learning to drive would be appreciated. 

Thanks guys 

• 13 posts
    March 27, 2019 12:55 PM PDT

Take a certified motorcycle riders training course.  They are available in about every area and normally not that expensive!!!

You can probably find one in your area here... https://www.cyclefish.com/blogs/72/4512/motorcycle-rider-training
    This post was edited by EventMan at March 27, 2019 12:57 PM PDT

• 19007 posts
    March 28, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

ABSOLUTELY take the course!!!!

• 4 posts
    May 4, 2019 10:33 AM PDT

Like the others have mentioned definately take a course. Some have bikes that you use and others let you bring your own bike. I think there is a fear about buying to much of a bike to start with. Honestly if you take your time and slowly work at it you shouldn't have an issue. If you take small trips around your neighborhood you can get the feel of it rather quickly. 

If you went with a smaller bike you might regret not getting the one you wanted. If your not really worried about trying to resell your starter bike then get a starter and move up to the one that fits you.

Good luck.

• 3006 posts
    May 7, 2019 12:29 PM PDT

Welcome to the CF board

The Goldwing will be an excellent choice for a daily driver.Check out Youtube for instructional video's for riding tips and exercise's to sharpen your riding skills.See if you have any riding class's locally and get signed up.Out here in Calif we have lots to choose from, for every level of riding ability on or offroad.

I met a Goldwing rider who had over 250,000 on the Odometer,it was loaded down with lots of aftermarket eye candy.He said all he ever did was change the fluids regularly n put in the gas.Another rider I met who rode an old Beemer also said he had over 250,000 another dependable ride,yet way more expensive than a Goldwing.