Introduction

• 4 posts
    August 21, 2018 11:02 AM PDT

Hello all!  Potential new rider here, hoping to learn from some experienced riders.

I'm 23, never ridden a motorcycle before, but been interested a long time.  I'm generally a cautious guy, especially since my brother died and I am the last surviving heir on our family.. 

But on a lighter note, I am interested in riding, and am curious what you all think.    I don't want to race or show off, and am mainly interested in riding for town transportation, but might do longer distances at some point in my life.. (further down the road)

I've kind of had my eye on the KTM 390, but I am also considering trikes (or spyders).  Any advice or opinions from some of you experienced riders?   When I do something I don't intend to do it half assed, and I don't like to act without a course of action or half cocked.   Thanks!

• 19007 posts
    August 22, 2018 6:01 AM PDT

Welcome. HIGHLY recommend taking MSF rider course available in your area. Don't have any experience with 3 wheels but I do know they are different beasts. Your attitude sounds good. Don't be foolish or you can get hurt or worse. Best of luck to you, and keep us informed which way you go.

• 4 posts
    August 22, 2018 3:10 PM PDT

Thanks!  Also forgive my ignorance but what does MSF stand for? I assume that's a safety course?

• 5419 posts
    August 22, 2018 3:24 PM PDT

MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation

We also have a good list of motorcycle training courses throughout the U.S. here... Motorcycle Rider Training

• 4 posts
    August 22, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

Sweet.  I appreciate the help!