best all around bike

• 9 posts
    July 25, 2018 3:03 AM PDT

Now i'm sure this is going to get some people wound up a bit, but I'm looking for everyone's view. I'm in the process of looking at a newer bike, so with that being said I would like to have your views on what to look at. 

• Tour /cruiser 
    • I average 5,000 - 7,000 miles a year some city (20%) backroads (50%) highway (30%)
    • I will travel to rallys up to 500 miles one way at a drop of a hat 
    • 75% solo ride 
    • looking for dependable (low maintenance cost) 
    • max hp 
    • creature features cruise control nav and so on 

i know every one has a view on the best bike for their needs, just looking for some thoughts and ideas to look at, breed of bike is not really my concern. 

• 19031 posts
    July 25, 2018 2:13 PM PDT
    That’s going to be a tough one to answer. There are so many factors that make up one’s opinion of what would/is the best. For me there is no other. Road King all the way.
    • 19031 posts
    July 25, 2018 2:13 PM PDT
    That’s going to be a tough one to answer. There are so many factors that make up one’s opinion of what would/is the best. For me there is no other. Road King all the way.
    • 9 posts
    July 26, 2018 8:48 AM PDT

That's funny you mention road king friend of mine just traded his road king for an Indian Dark chief has owned his HD for 10 years previous Hd for another 5 now swears he would never ride one again after riding his Indian. As I stated I'm not a brand guy by any means every one likes something different makes brands custom or not. Hell it's part of the reason we all ride we are different. now looking at what the average per mile operating cost or bang for the buck is interesting. Know plenty of people that ride all types of cruisers fom HD, Indian and Metric crusisers every one seems to have what they like and what they wish they had on their bike.  I'm not the type that needs heated seats or grips would i trun it down if the price was right no who would. What i would like ...cruise control, fairing, 100 CI or more last but not least a smooth ride. I've test rode several makes and still can't decide, only thing I know for sure no dressers more of a bagger guy for my daily use with the ability to go 500 plus miles in a day if I choose. Thanks for the reply road is on the list 

• 3006 posts
    August 13, 2018 12:51 PM PDT

@ Judas Did you ever find ever a ride that fit the bill? My main concern would mileage and weight/saddle height.

Currently ride my 03 Honda VTX1300 and have used it for various purposes,commuter,long haul & day tripper.Looking to buy one of these days,maybe a nice Indian Scout? Still have to test ride one.

• 9 posts
    October 30, 2018 9:53 AM PDT

so finaly found my perfect bike 2014 Indian Cheiftan. The seat height is perfect. the weight perfect the power and torque unbeliveable storage in the hard saddle bags perfect for a long weekend for two or a week for me. The ride is the best i ever had. Thanks to all who had a comment or question 

• 19031 posts
    November 3, 2018 6:31 AM PDT

Enjoy, and safe wishes.

• 3006 posts
    November 23, 2018 1:41 PM PST

Congrats on the recent purchase of the Indian.

Stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 26 posts
    January 17, 2019 2:03 PM PST

How long is a piece of string.And how thick do you think you need it to be ?

• 31 posts
    September 5, 2022 7:53 PM PDT

Yeah What RexTheRoadDog said 100%

• 10 posts
    November 20, 2022 3:15 PM PST

looking for some thoughts and ideas to look at, breed of bike is not really my concern

I ride stripped down, light machines. Spent the last 12 or 14 years on a Sporty. Only bike that handled the way I like. Well then Harley came out with the Slim. I was working for Honda Motorcycles at the time. One came in on trade. Its in my stable now. 

The only things I added were a windshield, a better seat, loud pipes, and cruise control for $600.

Its my last bike. Some day I may feel Im too old to ride, or Soccer mon or Diesel Dan will take me out.

It is the best cruiser Ive ever rode. 

• 4 posts
    June 1, 2023 7:27 PM PDT

[blockquote]VonZipper said:

The only things I added were a windshield, a better seat, loud pipes, and cruise control for $600.

[/blockquote]

Just that is enough.

free games

• 2 posts
    June 13, 2023 1:00 AM PDT
    [blockquote]VonZipper said:

looking for some thoughts and ideas to look at, breed of bike is not really my concern.

I ride stripped down, light machines. Spent the last 12 or 14 years on a Sporty. Only bike that handled the way I like. Well then Harley came out with the Slim. I was working for Honda Motorcycles at the time. One came in on trade. Its in my stable now.

Its my last bike. Some day I may feel Im too old to ride, or Soccer mon or Diesel Dan will take me out.

It is the best cruiser Ive ever rode.

[/blockquote]
    Now you made me remember how rough seats were on early SlimsDef a good choice to switch it out(one of my buddies has 2017 one and they kinda fixed it now). My first mode was a "gear" box back in like early 2014, I was into solo camping a lot back then. I remember I specifically wanted it to fit a one man sleeping bag and a small axe from a local outdoor stores. Good times!
    This post was edited by jeebo at July 3, 2023 2:30 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    July 26, 2023 2:54 PM PDT
    I love my new FatBoy S 114 with Slotted wheels. I never thought I would find a Harley as comfortable as my 05 Wide Glide, but the FatBoy is very comfy! Went to Death Valley in March to do some riding and found the 114 to be an awesome motor! Check it out! I also put on a Mustand seat with back rest which helps me lots!
    This post was edited by TraithlonGuy at July 26, 2023 2:55 PM PDT