BAD MANNERS

• 26 posts
    July 8, 2018 4:38 PM PDT

I found this old bloke (73yrs old) broken down on his bike.He had put Diesel in by mistake.He had just walked about 4 miles carrying his helmet and leather jacket,in 29c to get a can of petrol.He drained the tank and put the petrol in, but had no tools to clean out the carbs,and plugs,so it would'nt start.I carry a good selection of tools,so told him to go and sit in the shade while i got his bike running.What pissed me off,was that nobody offered him a lift,they just drove past an old man with a petrol can in that heat.Unbelievable.

• 19007 posts
    July 9, 2018 6:32 AM PDT
    Sad to hear. Where I live it is the opposite, thankfully. Stop on the side of the road for a minute an if a car comes by they are likely as not to stop and offer assistance.
    • 22 posts
    June 8, 2019 10:41 PM PDT

Feel sad to hear. It is really a bad manner.

• 2 posts
    June 18, 2019 5:24 AM PDT

The culture of fear, rage and distrust is more apparent on the roads than anywhere else, it seems. I'm glad you were around to help him!

• 3006 posts
    July 4, 2019 8:57 AM PDT

It was good of you to stop and help,surely he appreciated it !!! Looks like it was really hot too.

Riding into Hollister one year and came across a rider about 3 miles from town broke down.Helped him push it for a ways till we found a good spot for him to park well away from the highway.No fun being broke down in 90'+ weather.Typically I always stop n ask if I see a fellow rider looking stranded roadside.

• 5 posts
    July 8, 2019 12:37 AM PDT

I would have given him a ride. Good thing that you saw and helped him.

• 3 posts
    July 12, 2019 11:49 AM PDT

Some people talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. 9 times outta 10 they're taking a smoke break or on the phone. Rode with a fine bunch of Brothers & Sisters back when. Bit of a lone wolf today, but back then, always did the "2 bike road-side assitance" stop. 1 for if dude needed a ride, other to stay with the bike. Just couple of months ago, happened on a brother on side of the road. Pin in shifter linkage when on vacation, couldn't shift. Got that fixed, then the Kicker got locked up. (50's something Pan), so took him to his house for his trailer, hustled back to keep an eye on the bike. Helped him push it up on the trailer, and he started to offer up some cash, told him "no, this is what being a biker is. Just pay it forward, bro...pay it forward."

This post was edited by JerseyShoreJim at July 12, 2019 11:51 AM PDT
  • October 16, 2019 2:23 PM PDT
    Was on a solo ride in the middle lane doing about 80 and was passed by another bike on my right and in my lane. I was riding middle left of the middle lane. What do you guys think of this? Would this be bad manners?
    • 3 posts
    November 30, 2019 4:11 PM PST
    Yeah to pass in the same lane without getting "the nod" is bad manners
    • 3006 posts
    December 7, 2019 9:18 AM PST

@ FXDWG-

Yes that is very bad manners & highly unsafe passing another rider like that.Twice in my life when I first started riding on the street,had a couple wake up calls.Now I always check my six n flanks before I move an inch,usually most decent riders will certainly avoid my line yet ya never know out here,we have a lot of tourists so some days it is absolutely a madhouse.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 6 posts
    March 6, 2020 2:57 PM PST

Sad... real sad. I absolutely always stop for a biker on the side of the road. I usually have a 5 gallon can in the truck if I'm caging it, topping it off and getting him safely down the highway is the right thing to do. Done it a few times and I'm sure I'll do it a few more. We just can't let the old school decency die... 

• March 16, 2020 8:03 PM PDT
    Shame on any person who would not stop and help a person in need on the road especially a senior biker.
    • 19007 posts
    March 17, 2020 6:12 AM PDT

Not Bad Manners...Just FREAKIN STUPID!

• 2 posts
    March 23, 2021 11:36 PM PDT

[blockquote]Deleted Member said: Shame on any person who would not stop and help a person in need on the road especially a senior biker. [/blockquote]

The last person I tried to help just told me to get lost. Said he had it under control with his cellphone. That after I made a U-turn in heavy traffic twice to get back to him. Since it was heavy traffic I felt like a target so got the heck out of there. But now I question whether to try to help the next guy. I know for fact I won't go back to, try, in heavy traffic ever again. He did teach me that lesson. Maybe others felt the same way about this guy but up'ed it a few more notches?