Touring Tips!

• 8 posts
    April 18, 2018 11:52 AM PDT

Just thought you'd be interested in some motorcycle touring tips! Even has a packing list below!

This post was edited by motorider365 at April 18, 2018 11:53 AM PDT
    • 84 posts
    April 18, 2018 10:18 PM PDT

Maybe pack that list if you are running a chase truck along the trip and passing through the Sahara Desert.  Good grief!  But it was good for a laugh.

Seriously, how many hundreds of miles are you gonna be from a dealer, after market shop or auto parts where you need to carry a spare set of plugs?  And don't forget 2 flashlights.  One waterproof.  Small container of oil?  What's that?  How about a qt of synthetic that can be used in any hole?  And don't forget to strap a cooking stove on the sissy bar with a fuel source.  What about a kitchen sink (gotta clean the utensils) and a hot water heater (surely can't shower with cold water)?

Takes less than an hour to pack and load the bike for a week long run if you only pack what is really needed.  

Lunch in Spain on a 3000 km move from Portugal to Sérvia.  Carrying way too much crap but it's Oct and car isn't coming until January.

• 5419 posts
    April 23, 2018 9:52 AM PDT

Yeah, that does sound like a lot of stuff.  Here is the basic stuff I carry, all fits in a small tool pouch...

Flat & philips screwdrivers
    Pliers & cutters
    Leatherman utility knife/tool
    Basic set of combination wrenches
    Cruz Tools folding hex torx key set
    Duck tape, electrical tape, bailing wire, wire ties
    Flashlight (mini Maglight)
    20 oz coke bottle full of Synthetic oil
    Can of Fix-A-Flat

I also carry a very basic first aid kit .

• 3 posts
    July 7, 2018 7:31 PM PDT
    Dang...I forgot the spare fuses....seriously, I do pack a lot of that, including.40 safety wire (aviation mechs know what that is) and I wrap duct tape around the wire bundle. I also carry a small tube of black silicon. I also have an Antigravity battery pack with the built-in flashlight, just in case my cell phone dies....
    This post was edited by CaptStealth at July 7, 2018 7:32 PM PDT
    • 1855 posts
    July 8, 2018 9:45 AM PDT

These days I don't carry much.  My wife does NOT camp so we're never too far from civilization even though I don't do interstate. We do one long trip a year (5k-10k) and the bike is well prepared to do that each and every year.   I have tubeless tires and I do carry a flat tire kit with CO2 cartridges.  Other than that life's an adventure; just not as adventureous at 70 than it was in my younger years. 

• 3 posts
    August 25, 2019 9:36 AM PDT

Very detailed list, good one.

• 3006 posts
    August 25, 2019 2:34 PM PDT

This is good reference list for any rider about to hit the road.The most important lesson I have learned from most any riding is,travel light.Lucky's list is even more extensive than my own.

My ride came with a decent set of tools to do adjustments on the fly,which I have added to.Yet typically my longer trips are pretty much confined to overnighters.

• October 16, 2019 1:37 PM PDT
    I find that if you just go out and do it, you figure out along the way what you need. Then it becomes preference what you bring. ( at least for me this is true)