The new home

• 1855 posts
    June 14, 2017 3:15 AM PDT

As it turned out we decided NOT to buy my uncles home here in Wapakoneta, Ohio.  Unfortunately we have only 12 days to move out when the original moving date was in August.  So we're busting hump to get into our new place. We've been putting stuff in storage.  We've been tearing out carpet in the new place and discovering new things about the home we did buy. 

All the wood flooring under the carpet looked pretty good for the most part. It was a PIA pulling up the carpet tack strips and removing all the carpet pad staples. Thanks to Jeff Murray and Randy Kah for all their help; my son as well when he eventually showed up. And of course there was my favorite SIL Barb whose visit from Milwaukee was a blessing as well.

We had thought about having a professional come in and sand all the floors but the cost (about $3,500) and time restraints nipped that idea. The living room floor is raw natural oak without any finish. A light hand-sanding and clear coat will be enough for now. The 2nd bedroom floor really only needs cleaned and 1/4 round installed. The master is a different story altogether. A 3' x 3' section of the original floor had been cut out in one corner and covered with plywood. It's anyone's guess as to why that was done but it may have been a duct work (return air) issues as the new heating/cooling system is not indicative of the home build period (1958). So today I'll finish prepping, ignoring what might be under that piece of plywood, and will be laying new wood flooring in the master bedroom and the hallway.

Like myself, capable friends have back and knee issues so I'm the lucky one who will be hurting by the end of the day. But it's got to get done. Having to be out of our current residence originally by August to just 12 days from now is darn stressful but I'm hoping I can get some Grandkids and a couple of healthy friends to help. And I hope some volunteer because I simply hate asking for help; especially when it should be obvious that I really need the help. Thankful also that the move is just across town.  I swore that this will be our last move now that we are back home in Ohio.

Doc

Only the living swim upstream

This post was edited by Jimmyacorn at June 14, 2017 3:16 AM PDT
    • 5420 posts
    June 14, 2017 10:00 AM PDT

Wish I lived closer... I love working on stuff

• 3006 posts
    June 21, 2017 12:10 PM PDT

Hey I hope the final push went well & you are settled in the new place.The older I get the less I like the idea of moving ... anything ! When I get days like that lined up,I keep some Advil handy.

Have a happy summer 

Stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 19034 posts
    June 23, 2017 5:57 AM PDT

Don't envy you on the move. I admire your strength!

• 1855 posts
    July 31, 2017 4:45 AM PDT
    Well we're pretty much settled in our new home. Tore up all the old carpet and tile flooring and found beautiful, original unfinished oak. So we startrd to work sanding. After a coating of poly clear was surprised to discover the floor was actually red oak in appearance.

I may not have done a professional job but it all looks damn good for a home built in the '50s and Gypsy is happy. Laying laminate tiles in the dining area was hard ont ols knees but got it done. Bathroom floor is next but we discovered some serious plumbing issues that need tending. There are some damn stupid plumbing contractors but I should have, as a home inspector, been a bit more thorough. Still, we're home and happy!!!!!
    • 19034 posts
    July 31, 2017 5:51 AM PDT

Happy the home is coming together.

• 5420 posts
    July 31, 2017 8:58 AM PDT

Glad things are coming together with the new place.  I love doing things myself... like you said it may not be a pro job, but it sure is satisfying.  

My son is a plumbing contractor, he could give you a deal but I think the travel charges from California might off set the savings :-)

• 3006 posts
    August 6, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

As long as the better half is happy you are doing greatHope you get the plumbing stuff sorted out.Been having some issues here with leaky pipes n fittings,that's with any 50+ yr old home,sounds like a nice home overall.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 1855 posts
    August 31, 2017 3:12 PM PDT

We've been really busy; mostly trying to find room for stuff we "thought" we needed..  We do have one 10x10 storage locker.  Got all the original floors re-finished.  Installed new flooring in one bedroom as someone had cut out a huge crawlspace access we didn't know about until we pulled up the carpet.  Turned out the access didn't really provide a good deal of access anyway.  New kitchen floor, refinished dining room floor, new bath room floor plus taller toilet.  Don'tcha just hate feeling like you're sitting on a log in the woods?  Plumbing issue is no longer an issue thanks to a plumber who was actually "willing to work" and who saved me close to $3,000.  He fixed everything for $125.00. The plumbing is the only thing I didn't do, wouldn't do, couldn't do, refused to do myself.

We'll be getting new windows the 2nd week of October in time for Ohio's winters. The existing ones are really neat but just not practical. Everything about this old house is kind of neat but updating is a necessitym including new countertops for the bathroom and kitchen. The oldstyle cabinets stay.

We're just now able to get out and do some real riding after the holidays.  My cataract surgery is done despite the VA's insisting they weren't bad enough. Had the right eye done last week and the left eye yesterday.  And NO, the VA didn't pay a dime of it. Doctor said I could begin riding again on Sunday; only the daytime for now. Cataract surgery was quick, easy, and painless.  Post surgery with no discomfort whatsoever.

For what it's worth; I'm so thrilled I moved away from the Gulf Coast of Alabama just in time.  I can only imagine the misery taking place in Texas and Louisianna. Plus I'm feeling that Irma is going to be major threat to the eastern Gulf.  Prayers for all of the folks.

I"m sure I forgot something., BTW, I started taking Provagen for memory loss but I keep forgetting where I put the damn bottle.

Peace.

This post was edited by Jimmyacorn at August 31, 2017 3:12 PM PDT
    • 19034 posts
    September 1, 2017 5:24 AM PDT

Happy your home and all is going well!

• 3006 posts
    October 15, 2017 9:16 AM PDT

Cant believe how time flys,seems like yesterday you were moving into the new place.Glad to read you got settled in and did some riding.How did the eye thing go for you? Are you still improving ? 

Taking care of my Mom has taught me all about memory loss lol and it aint pretty !!! Hope you n the family are all doing well.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 1855 posts
    October 15, 2017 2:40 PM PDT
    Well Buzz, went ariund the VA and got my cataracts removed. Things are much brighter these days. Memory hasn’t really improved but I don’t think it is worse. Thanks for asking(remembering). LOL
    • 19034 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:30 AM PDT

Awesome on the vision!