Finally Test Towed the Toy Hauler

• March 2, 2017 5:10 AM PST

Well I finally had a chance to test tow the Toy Hauler with the new Dodge (6.4 Liter) 3/4 Ton. Wow what a difference from the old (5.7 Liter) 1/2 ton, and with electric brakes that thing will stop on a dime. Only problem is the electrical connectors have a different configuration from my old truck, so I need to wire in a new Trailer connector. Why doesn't the industry have common connections? I understand the orignal flat 4 pin connectors were used back in the day before Electric Brakes, and Reverse lights, but one would think the round 7 pin connectors could be a common design. 

Guess that is above my pay grade to know.

Be safe out there

Night Dragon

• 44 posts
    March 3, 2017 12:23 PM PST
    Congrats enjoy
    • 298 posts
    March 3, 2017 10:16 PM PST
    They are standardized
    4 pin flat
    6 pin round
    7 way round with flat blades for RV's
    7 way round with round pins for OTR trucks
    • 298 posts
    March 3, 2017 10:19 PM PST
    The wiring is also standardized for colors and which pin goes where
    • 467 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:21 AM PST

We just carry adapters of all sorts!

• 1 posts
    March 15, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

NightDragon Can I ask, is it a trailer or 5th wheel ?
    And what's it's weight ? (GVWR).

This post was edited by TonyMole at March 16, 2017 11:42 AM PDT
    • 3006 posts
    March 16, 2017 10:48 AM PDT

Glad to hear the truck/trailer combo is working good for you.A old buddy, basically toured the country using a similar setup.Tho that was about 12 years ago.Dodge makes some great trucks,gotta a lot of miles out of mine before my kid hijacked it lol 

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• March 16, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

[blockquote]TonyMole said:

NightDragon Can I ask, is it a trailer or 5th wheel ?
    And what's it's weight ? (GVWR).

[/blockquote]

It's a Toy hauler tralier not a 5th wheel and it is 34 feet with one slide out.

I finally got the electrical connectors correct and we did a test stay for two nights close by. Learn a lot in two days, especially when the temp was 14 degrees. I don't think I care to do any winter camping. Had to take a hair dryer this morning and un freeze the black water valve before I could dump.

Oh well life is a learning experience

stay safe

Night Dragon

• 19004 posts
    March 17, 2017 6:05 AM PDT

COld weather camping is tough and takes a special amount of prep. Search Youtube and you'll find many videos on the subject.

• March 23, 2017 7:39 AM PDT

We are in Charleston South Carolina in a park. The Wife made the resurvation at this KOA and got a spot without a sewer hook up because she saved $10.00 bucks or something. Well this morning she taking a shower and tells me the tub is filling up with water. Just what I wanted to hear first thing in the morning. We just checked in last evening, and guess what .....the 35 gallon grey tank is already FULL. Well the park had a turd tote, or Honey Pot on wheels, or whatever ya call it. So I retrive the tote, hook up to the grey tank and pull the T-Handle. Before I know it the  tote is full and weights about 350 pounds. Now the dump spot is only 40 yards away, but I can barely lift the Turd Tote. The Wife is gone in the truck, so I find a fellow camper, and we tie the Turd Tote to his truck and drag the damn thing 40 yards to the dump site.

This is a process called "Learning the hard way".

Stay tuned to more Learning tips

Night Dragon

• 611 posts
    April 7, 2017 11:49 AM PDT

OMG! That is funny Dragon! No sewer hookup and save money? Hahahahaaaaa... That's because she doesn't have to dump the crapper or sink/shower water! I always get the full hook up; internet, sewer, electric and water. 'Turd Tote'? Oh man, you're killing me! hahahahaaaaa

I'm sure you've worked it all out since your last post. Hope ya both had a great time!

Edgeman 

• 4 posts
    April 8, 2017 5:44 AM PDT

Hello NightDragon, 

Congratulations on your new camper and rig.....you're going to have a blast!!!  Going to Kerr Lake camping today, taking my bike for a ride as well.

I owned an uninsolated camper years ago, found having a couple small electric heaters placed in strategic locations under the camper..(since the electric comes with the a paid site)....can really make a difference in keeping your water lines from freezing....you can also purchase heated water hoses for your water supply which helps also.

Be safe! Have fun with it!

This post was edited by IndianRider at April 8, 2017 5:46 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:21 AM PDT

[blockquote]RexTheRoadDog said:

COld weather camping is tough and takes a special amount of prep. Search Youtube and you'll find many videos on the subject.

[/blockquote]My advice to cold weather camping is Southern Texas "RGV",Southern Az., about 1/2 way down Florida.

• April 23, 2017 6:49 AM PDT

NightDragon - I learned the hard way like you - When at a campground with no sewer hookups it is a must to have a portable tank like the one in the picture. Also the handle hooks over your trailer hitch so you can pull it to the dump with your truck. Sure does save your back......

I never take my camper anywhere without this in it.....

You can get these at your local Camping World for around $125 ~ $200 depending on the size you get.

Image Thetford SmartTote2 LX 4-Wheel Portable Waste Tank, 35 Gallon. To Enlarge the image, click Control-Option-SpacebarThetford SmartTote2 LX 4-Wheel Portable Waste Tank, 35 Gallon

• 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:48 PM PDT

Congrats!