Do You Wear A Helmet (if not required)

• 834 posts
    February 26, 2009 9:02 AM PST

I was just curious how many people still wear their helmet even in a state where its not required.

I live in Arizona and we don't require helmets.  I normally wear one anyway and I see about 1/4 of the riders hear wearing one.  Seams like recently more people are wearing helmets, especially the lady riders.

• 46 posts
    February 27, 2009 2:57 AM PST
    I always wear my helmet. I used to not wear a helmet until a friend of my suffered severe brain damage in a very small accident.
    • 277 posts
    February 28, 2009 1:48 AM PST
    Hi Drake,

When my husband I went to Sturgis, I was the ONLY one wearing a helmet! I'm not interested in leaving this world yet!
  • March 9, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

Ya know, when our state (PA) passed the helmet law so we could make our own choice, it seemed to me at first everybody took them off. Now! years later, I'm seeing more and more riders wearing them again. Seems like everytime the Gov't tell us not to do something we want to buck the system. Give us the freedom to choose and the majority of us will make the right choice. Go figure...

• g
    March 10, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
    we have to use a fooking lid a the time guy 's .says the old plod ffs
  • g
    March 10, 2009 7:14 AM PDT
    its a good thing thow ,ffs was out on sun wee a small crew from aberdeen ,had a few wee stone's thrown up on ma dish ffs ,so was glad i had ma lid on like
  • March 10, 2009 4:58 PM PDT

Maybe I just don't understand this chat language

• g
    March 10, 2009 10:37 PM PDT
    SweetSoftTail wrote...

Maybe I just don't understand this chat language

sorry, was out on my bike last sunday ,with a small group of frends ,and a stone was thrown up on my face ,so im glad i had n my lid,u got me noo .

• 910 posts
    March 11, 2009 6:37 AM PDT
    Just over two years ago I was in a severe dirt bike accident that, had I not been wearing my helmet, would have taken my life. I suffered a traumatic brain injury among other things. Even still when I travelled on my motorcycle into states with no helmet law I took mine off on the back roads with lower speeds and liked it. The second year I did that a driver cut into my lane to take a left turn and hit me. I was tossed into my handlebars before both the bike and I went down. I didn't hit my head that day but my son found out I wasn't wearing my helmet and lost it. Because of that I decided I will wear it from now on.
  • g
    March 11, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
    AdventureGirl wrote...
    Just over two years ago I was in a severe dirt bike accident that, had I not been wearing my helmet, would have taken my life. I suffered a traumatic brain injury among other things. Even still when I travelled on my motorcycle into states with no helmet law I took mine off on the back roads with lower speeds and liked it. The second year I did that a driver cut into my lane to take a left turn and hit me. I was tossed into my handlebars before both the bike and I went down. I didn't hit my head that day but my son found out I wasn't wearing my helmet and lost it. Because of that I decided I will wear it from now on.

ffs ,na good hope ur ok .na worth it ,u should always wear ur lid dude

• March 11, 2009 3:41 PM PDT
    Not sure why anyone would ever ride anywhere without a helmet. I know I push it to the limit onthe track, but you would not believe how many helmets I have busted up. I don't think its possible to crash a motorcycle without hitting your head. And I'm really experienced at crashing
  • March 12, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
    I'm one of those guys in love with my DOT even in the non-helmet states, but it sure would be nice it was everyones choice, providing I don't get stuck taking care of the non-helmet wearing folks medical bills and supporing their family when they turn themselves into vegi from a head injury that is. We'lll be moving to AZ in a few years however, and with the kids growed up by then, who knows, our views on wearing a helmet might change.

Laura, didn't you read the sign, at the city limits of Sturgis that said "Helmets Are Not Cool"...LOL. I'm guessing the vast majority of the normally wearing helmet riders that DON'T wear a helmet in Sturgis do so only because of the "cool" factor.
  • g
    March 12, 2009 2:37 AM PDT
    u do get a lot of good looking helmets now ,ive just got ma sell the new agv type s-4 its matt black with a tint visor and the wire mesh vents ,but it is more of a race helmet though ,but over we us in scotland u have to were one ,so they have to look cool ,even if i did not have to use on i would .not worth it .
  • March 21, 2009 1:53 PM PDT
    I firmly believe a person should have a choice as to wear a helmet or not, but for me I wear one probably 99% of the time. The old brain bucket has saved my noggin more than once. I have several different ones, all DOT approved, that I wear usually determined by the weather or where I am going.
    • 19007 posts
    March 21, 2009 7:26 PM PDT
    Here ya go. One of my serious PEEVES. FREEDOM OF CHOICE! I am greatly opposed to the govt trying to tell me or any other adult what to wear or when to wear it just because some liberal do-gooder wants to impose their ideas on everyone else. Whether it be a motorcycle helmet, seat belts, ski helmet or bicycle helmet. And, as for others being stuck with medical bills, that won't happen with proper medical insurance. The Govt should worry more about financial execs ripping money out of our bank accounts and calling it boners (mis-spell intentional). And further more... OK OK OK just shut up Mike and answer the question. I CHOSE NOT to wear one and would defend to the end your choice to wear one. And don't get me started on what that DOT sticker means.
  • March 28, 2009 5:51 PM PDT

I agree 100% with Rex.  That doesn't mean I would ride without a helmet, but I really believe that should be everyones own choice.

• g
    March 31, 2009 10:42 PM PDT
    everyones own choice ?u mad .u should HAVE TO WEAR ONE END OF ,then again most of u guy's dont go over 40 mph ,lol
  • April 2, 2009 4:12 PM PDT
    What a funny discussion... So, I just have to throw my 3 cents (2 is boring) in... Helmets....?!? Hell, I wore one in the Corps (flying and walking) for 23 years... Now that I am about to get back on that iron horse (had a few scrapes before doing the dirt thing) that bucked me off a few times, I will wear a helmet (wife too). Choice or not... Hell, motorcycles are dangerous- don't you know?????
  • April 6, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
    Doesn't matter where I am, I WEAR MY HELMET. It is just a part of me when I ride.
  • April 10, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

There's a reason Mighty Max's Run is all Iowa stops w/ none in Nebraska..IA has no helmet laws...NE does. Hell, just people going thru to Sturgis go thru IA rather than have to wear a sweat bucket in NE. Lots of riders around here won't go on any runs if they have NE stops. Do one a year and only cuz she's a good friend of mine that promotes it.

oh yeah..one reason I belong to ABATE too

• April 10, 2009 10:47 AM PDT
    I don't like the damn things so if I don't have to wear it I don't except on long Freeway runs (wind/rain/bugs/noise protection).
    My wife always wears hers!
    • 1 posts
    April 15, 2009 1:18 PM PDT
    We wear helmets all the time regardless the law, however what do you think of the states that have a law that gives you a choice to either wear it or have it on your bike while riding?
    • 19007 posts
    April 15, 2009 1:26 PM PDT
    Seems kind of silly to require one to be with you.I think Delaware does that not sure though. Ok I won't rant this time, my opinion has been previously voiced.
    • 1 posts
    April 15, 2009 2:26 PM PDT
    Delaware is the state in question, we have very good friends that live in DE and when we ride I chuckle when my buddy strap his helmet onto the bike instead of putting it on his dome
  • April 21, 2009 1:28 AM PDT

I have been trying to post a new list of helmet laws but it won't take so here is a link to the site you can check

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx