• 910 posts
    November 17, 2009 7:19 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Hey Buffy, cool photo, was that in NC?

Thanks Mike, it's on the TN side of the Dragon
  • November 17, 2009 8:10 AM PST
    ALWAYS!!!
  • November 18, 2009 6:33 AM PST

I wear a helmet, it is a WWII flyers cap. I live in a state that requires a helmet. I personaly think it is against the U S Constitution. A trooper once asked me to take off my helmet, I told him I would drather not but that he could take it off me, I just don't want to testify against myself ( take the 5th).

Ride Free / Ride Safe

• g
    November 18, 2009 7:11 AM PST
    like the look o that road adventure girl ,nice wee twisty's .u look great on ur sv ,looks like ur having fun ,stay safe girl .
  • g
    November 18, 2009 7:12 AM PST
    u look the part ,u wid fit in fine over wee us in scotland .
    • 910 posts
    November 18, 2009 8:24 AM PST
    g wrote...
    like the look o that road adventure girl ,nice wee twisty's .u look great on ur sv ,looks like ur having fun ,stay safe girl .

Thanks g!
  • g
    November 18, 2009 8:30 AM PST
    naa bother .
  • November 18, 2009 10:42 AM PST
    It depends on what I am doing and where I am going. About 90% of the time I will wear one on the highway if I am riding local no I don't like them. I will wear one if I have to, like going in Mass. In the state of RI only the passanger is required to wear one, and in CT no one is required to wear one. Thats my story and I am sticking to it!
  • November 18, 2009 11:03 AM PST
    Only about half the times more then I use to. Now that it is getting cold a lot more.
  • g
    November 18, 2009 9:05 PM PST
    its no ment for keeping ur heed warm .
    • 513 posts
    November 18, 2009 10:22 PM PST
    g wrote...

It does help tho

The thing I notice about riding with or without a lid is that when I ride in a country that allows you not to I tend to ride slower and easy.
    At home I ride a little faster and probably a bit more careless because of the fales sense of security with a lid on and I wear an open face helmet all year round in Ireland.
    I can't speak for other countries but I know here in Ireland the guys who shout the loudest about having to wear the best lids noey can buy or believe that safety gear should be a legal requirement are usually the worse offenders of speeding and acting like idiots on the road.
    If you act like a looney on the road, odds are you will need that safety gear sooner rather than later.
  • g
    November 18, 2009 11:53 PM PST
    aye true dyna ,but still no worth the risk .
  • g
    November 18, 2009 11:59 PM PST
    a car or truck could pull out on ur path ,no ur fault ,still ****ed no matter what ,or like the guy on the bike in aberdeen ,he hit a paki ,the paki got out his car on the main road ,crossed over to pray ,on his way back to his car he got run over by the guy on his bike and was killed .TRUE STORY ,was on friday last week ,rush hour time .so u dont know when u might need a lid or any other gear .
    • 5419 posts
    November 20, 2009 2:51 AM PST
    Dyna wrote...
    g wrote...

It does help tho

The thing I notice about riding with or without a lid is that when I ride in a country that allows you not to I tend to ride slower and easy.
    At home I ride a little faster and probably a bit more careless because of the fales sense of security with a lid on and I wear an open face helmet all year round in Ireland.
    I can't speak for other countries but I know here in Ireland the guys who shout the loudest about having to wear the best lids noey can buy or believe that safety gear should be a legal requirement are usually the worse offenders of speeding and acting like idiots on the road.
    If you act like a looney on the road, odds are you will need that safety gear sooner rather than later.

That's true everywhere Dyna.  I see these guys on sport bikes in full leathers, racing boots & gloves, and a full face hemet.  Then because they are dressed like a racer, think they should ride like one on the public streets.   Now all that stuff will certainly help protect you on a race course where the asphalt blends nicely into grass, ending with hay bails, but it's not going to help much when you cross the line and hit a car head on or go over a cliff.

• g
    November 20, 2009 5:33 AM PST
    i have race gear ,have a race bike ,had a bike licence for 14yrs ,and never had an off yet ,still would never go on a bike with out a lid ,plain stupid if u ask me ,same as i would never go on a build site without my hard hat .but its up to u guys what u do ,im just glad we have to wear one .would be a lot more bikers killed in scotland and europe if we never had to were on .
    • 513 posts
    November 21, 2009 6:05 AM PST
    g, you gotto remember though inour type of climate we have a lot to put up with as bikers.
    The constnat wet, wet leaves,badly maintain roads, muck and crap left on the roads by farmers, car drivers theat drive like looneys on our small roads.
    In the US and Canada their road are far superior to ours, not to mention wider and bigger.
    That is why I think the helmet law discussion will last as long as we biker and will be still going on when are children are biking....hopefully.
  • g
    November 21, 2009 6:51 AM PST
    aye dyna ,true ,true .
    • 1161 posts
    November 21, 2009 3:32 PM PST
    i Will have a Full Face even tho im trying to get an H-D.
    i have had my accident when my chute failed from 200 feet in the Army with my TBI (Tramidic Brain Injory)
    spelling may be off but you get the point, i Want my knees in the breese!
  • November 21, 2009 10:00 PM PST
    Fortunatly I live in a state (Wi.) that feels I am old & mature enough to make my own decision. Myself personally don't like them, although I do own 2.I believe it should be your own choice. Enough of our freedoms are being taken away from us on the premiss that Big Brother needs to protect us from ourselves.If someone wants to wear a helmet, well fine with me but please don't force your beliefs down my throat. I will make up my own mind. RIDE SAFE RIDE FREE
  • g
    November 22, 2009 6:59 AM PST
    aye ,its up to u guys .
    • 28 posts
    November 22, 2009 7:29 AM PST
    To choose or not to choose, not a choice for us here in CA... it's the LAW. I'd wear one where ever I ride, no matter what. Want to come home and be able to share my riding stories with friends and family. To everyone else out there...whatever your choice..RIDE SAFE.
  • November 22, 2009 7:52 AM PST
    when i ride localy i dont but on highways yes
  • November 22, 2009 8:26 AM PST
    I wear one occasionally. My wife wears one all the time (passanger) which I'm glad she does, since she has no control of the bike. She wears it more for protection from the wind than safety. Not wearing a helmet is just added risk when riding. It will not save you 100% of the time and thats why I think it should be freedom of choice. Get educated and make your own decision!
  • November 22, 2009 10:04 AM PST
    I have a helmet on the floor in the corner of my spare bedroom, it's been there since I moved here.
  • December 22, 2009 11:43 AM PST
    Helmets should be a matter of choice! I live in a state that requires a helmet, however mine is a skid lid! The govt does not need to protect me from myself !
    RIDE FREE / RIDE SAFE!