Cruising the States

• 4 posts
    December 28, 2015 5:12 AM PST
     Im heading out from Texas in April 2016 for an extended run. Going to be camping and hitting a new State every month. Gonna take time to explore and enjoy the sights.
    April-going to KC to visit my grandkids
    May-Northern Wis to visit for a cpl weeks
    Then cruise around Lake Mich to visit my mid daughter
    After that no agenda but to travel & enjoy. Not sure where i will winter for 2016-2017.....but for 2017-2018 am wintering in Alaska with my youngest daughter....then backbon the road.
    Anybody up for cruising along??

• 2 posts
    January 15, 2016 11:35 AM PST
    Keep us posted
    • 4 posts
    January 15, 2016 11:45 PM PST
    I will try to. Im not sure how often i will have internet service but I will update wjhen i can. Its killing me to be sitting here in Waco marking time. I have purchased everything I think will come in handy...my lil trailer is stuffed full. I bought a luggage bag that attaches to the rack on my trunk. Im not at all happy with the crappy lik straps& velcro it has to attach it....im modifying it. I added a 3/8 inch board/panel to the entire bottom & im going to use 3/8 inch threaded stock to build 4 compression clamps on the bottom of the bag that will tighten up on the trunk rack on the bike....it should work. We will see. Im def gonna be Loaded up with gear.
    • 1855 posts
    January 17, 2016 1:52 AM PST
    How about showing us a pic of your gear? Before Gypsy I'd do camping but her idea of camping is the Hampton. That makes extended trips a bit too expensive. It literally costs us an average minimum of $1.00 a mile. We're usually out two (2) weeks at a time then head home for a month and take off again somewhere. I'd love for us to just keep going but that won't happen unless I get a little toy hauler or something. Have a great time and keep us posted.
    Peace
    • 10 posts
    January 17, 2016 2:16 AM PST
    I have seen some of those trailers lifted up by high winds on the highway.
    • 4 posts
    January 17, 2016 2:40 AM PST
    I have seen video of trailers exactly like mine going thru the Dragon Tail...they pull just fine. Extremely high winds arent fun for anyone. But I have not had any probs pulling one. I will get some pics uploaded prior to heading out. Currently im waiting for the temps to get back in the 60s for a few days in a row so I can rearrange my gear inside the trailer.

I do not have to be in a hurry in my travels and I pick stretches of decent weather to travel in before i head out. You cant ride without hitting some storms and for the most part I dont have alot of probs in the rain. I carry all kinds of inclement weather riding gear. I am careful in my planning & my riding and I have been known to pull over & sit it out when necessary. Sometimes just standing in my rain gear and waiting for it to let up or get a room at a motel.

I appreciate the concern but I will do my best .
    • 58 posts
    January 18, 2016 3:17 PM PST
    I would love to be able to help you get started. I am just west of Tyler but I work in DFW Weds PM thru Sunday AM.
    • 4 posts
    January 19, 2016 12:49 AM PST
    I decided that im gonna go to Louisiana in April....prob camp somewhere east of Shreveport area. Wanna spend some time there. I luv cajun food and any Southern accent from a woman melts me....oughta be fun. Early may i will go kansas to camp w my grandsons for abit. Am looking at a cpl of CGs near Paola KS. Then im headed north. I promised my dad id see him in may. Ill prob hang w fam for awhile & do some trout fishing. Then im riding around Lake Mich...i have a daughter in Kalamazoo....will stop there for abit.
    Then head east....i wanna hang in the aapalachians for the summer...i have a nephew in KY that I will def make time for...but thats my agenda.
    • 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 6:36 AM PST
    I have one more mod to get done on my trailer & Im gonna upgrade the tires cuz im def carrying a load. Im having a rack made for the back of the trailer. Gonna mount a 24 gal Rubbermaid Action Packer for tools etc and to use it to help balance out my load. The Rubbermaid is lockable...its not WaterProof but it is resistant...im gonna see if a thin bead of silicone might improve that.
    Once this gets done, im pretty much stocked & ready....April wont come fast enuff.
    • 57 posts
    January 31, 2016 7:51 AM PST
    I think Lucky has a lot of experience pulling trailers and pretty sure he says the tongue weight is critical to a good ride with a trailer. Have a Great Ride
    • 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 8:02 AM PST
    Yup. Tongue weight is Huge. My mechanic trailers on a regular basis & has been adamant on that aspect. Too much weight can really make drastic changes. I have another lil trailer much like this one back in Wis. and I used it for over 5 yrs.
    I thank ya for the concern. This last mod will help me actually influence tongue weight in a positive manner.
    • 4 posts
    February 7, 2016 4:28 AM PST
    I bought a mechanical scale & as soon as my last mod gets done, i will practice loading for proper weight distribution. Got a whole month to get it down.
    The scale has to be at the same height as my hitch when i use it. Im seeing lots of info about exact poundage vs % of weight...
    • 3006 posts
    February 7, 2016 6:41 AM PST
    Sounds like a great way to spend some time on the road.
    Pulling the trailer is a necessary evil. Take her out on a couple shakedown cruises.
    Feel it out, and be patient it may take a while to dial it in for maximum riding comfort.
    Most of all stay safe & enjoy your ride !!!
    • 1855 posts
    February 7, 2016 6:46 AM PST
    I'm curious as to how much stuff you think you need to take with you. In my younger years I traveled all over the country on an old shovel head for months at a time. I had leather throw over saddle bags and a pack over my sissy bar. I carried a sleeping bag, ground cover, pup tent, a few simple tools, two spare inner tubes, WD-40, and not much more 'cept an extra pair of jeans and a couple tees and basic hygiene stuff.

Are you traveling alone or do you have a passenger?
    • 4 posts
    February 7, 2016 4:48 PM PST
    Im going to be staying in dispersed sites for up to 14 days, no amenities in that situ. I will do intermittent stays w services at other camgrounds. Im going for fully self sufficient. Sawyer water filter-(if needed), solar charging capabilities along w power convertors, solar led lights, stc. I used to travel with just what I could strap on my bike for years...Im changing that for Me. My Tunes will consist of a 7 watt Mighty Dwarf, an MP3 player w 16gb and 4- 10,000mAh power banks &  I- 60,000mAh power bank...i have gas grill, gas burner, electric burner, etc. Pretty much everything I could think of...Admittedly, overkill for sure. Coleman WeatherMaster 6 tent, coleman 4 in 1 mattress, queen size sleeping bag, the works...and yeah, just for me. 

Yup, Im upgrading tires this week to 6 ply, i have an appt at end o month to drop off trailer for last mod. I will have all of March to get in some shakedown runs & I will have plenty of time to work out proper loading.
    Im staying on State & County highways, no interstates unless necessary, I am in no hurry. Wanna see the lil towns. And it may offset some of the loss of gas mileage w the trailer if Im cruising at 55-60 vs. 65-75...maybe not, but I will see some interesting towns and can hit lil local restaurants vs McCrap,
    • 57 posts
    February 7, 2016 8:25 PM PST
    Whats that old saying The more room ya got The less room ya got. Hahaha  Good Luck anyway Hope you enjoy the ride.
    • 4 posts
    February 8, 2016 4:21 AM PST
    Yeah. So true. The prob is when is enough really enough...,
    I will spend alot of time next month taking a critical look at all the gear Ive amassed. Im comforrable with my experience camping and feel that I have done a pretty good job at getting this all together. Theres some really cool stuff out there thats solar powered and LEDs are def a good upgrade in equipt.
    Has anybody had any experience with
    DYNA PLUGS....its a brand of tire puncture repair that supposedly is Safe for motorcycle tires?? I bought one and have an air compressor in my trailer. Hope I never need it but....
    • 4 posts
    February 13, 2016 4:57 AM PST
    The trailer is at the Shop. The only thing left to purchase is a new sleeping bag. My Slumberjack is up in Wis...i have a cheapie here thats not very good. Am gonna buy a Queen Sized -(double bag). I found a decent one thats rated to O degrees Farenheit, that & my Coleman 4 in 1 mattress should make for a comfy night.
    Next up, loading practice to find the right tongue weight. Im carrying about 250 lbs sooo im shooting for 10 %, aprox 25 lbs of tongue weight. Ill get it close and try it out on the road till I get it right. Gonna be fun.
    • 4 posts
    February 28, 2016 6:09 AM PST
    My trailer is done. Gotta pick it up Tuesday. Im so damn excited I can hardly stand myself. Plan is to take the month of March to work out loading and get a few shakedowns completed. Its gonna be damn hard to keep to that agenda. Im changing my oil this week on the bike & its ready. Ive got some organizing to do with my gear but that wont take more than an afternoon.
    Once, im comfortable with my tongue weight and how the trailer pulls....I expect im gonna be in the wind before the month ends.....we will see. A factor that im quasi ignoring is that I felt the extra cpl of weeks would be beneficial in regards to the temps improving....itd be pretty easy to brush that off by thinking, Hell, ive got good gear for cold weather.
    Ill be back on here by end of this week to update on the trailer.
    Be Safe.
    • 4 posts
    March 1, 2016 11:36 AM PST
    Yee Haa!
    The boys outdid themselves. Trailer is done. It looks Great and pulls Fine. I reloaded and redistributed me gear and its balancing out nicely. Am changing my oil tomm morn & doing another shakedown cruise....
    I checked forecasts and have my route plotted, im Gonna Be In The Wind Thursday morning.
    Ill get pics of the trailer & bike tomm and ill get em loaded up on my profile pics. But that wont happen till Im hunkered down for abit, somewhere. Next week for sure.
  • March 1, 2016 12:05 PM PST
    Keep us posted. I'm in Grand Rapids just north of Kazoo. Might be able to hook up as you pass through. Enjoy the north part of the state. If you've never been here you'll find it inspirational. State forest campgrounds are cheap, plentiful and moderately remote. Enjoy!
    • 4 posts
    March 1, 2016 7:56 PM PST
    Steve, thanx, i will. I was born & raised bout 45 minutes from da yoopers. Luv da Nort Wuds! Am really looking forward to a run across mackinac and am gonna take some time to camp on the ride round lk Mich. Am planning on checking in w daughter near Kalamazoo.. We just may be crossing paths.
    • 314 posts
    March 2, 2016 10:13 PM PST
    I look forward to your updates
    • 4 posts
    April 15, 2016 12:28 PM PDT
    Am in KS now visiting my grandsons and my oldest daughter. Bought the boys there first decent tent, sleeping bags & their first pocketknives. We had a cpl of knife sessions, then taught em how to set up camp. They come every wkend & camp w me
    LUV it. Am heading North to WI about 2nd wk o May. Gonna visit my Father and some Bros. Get a lil trout fishing in, update my Concealed Carry Permit and some other business for abit. Then gonna do a run around Lk. Mich down by Kalamazoo n see another daughter for a week or so...then, I think the Appalachians are calling me...dunno for sure yet tho...
    The bike is running great, Trailer is Fantastic, got all my gear rearranged and packed better, Tent is great no rain probs at all.
    It's Windy as hell here!!! Don't think I'd be happy in the Plains States. I'm camped bout 40 miles from my grandkids and that's nice. We are having a hoot on the wkends.
    I gotta get to a wifi spot & figure out how to post pictures, hasn't been a priority, but I will.

Ride Safe