California Fires

• 57 posts
    August 13, 2015 1:09 PM PDT
     Hoping someone can give us good information about the Fires there,We are flying into San Francisco 8-20 and have a ultra rented for the week going to Sacramento for a wedding 8-22, how bad are the fires-should we forget the bike and get a car,any information would be helpful

Thanks Rich
    • 5419 posts
    August 18, 2015 3:25 AM PDT
    Looks like most of the fires up in that area have been contained. You should be okay riding in the area. Just pay attention to any warning signs and possible road closures.
    • 1855 posts
    August 18, 2015 11:38 AM PDT
    i just heard on the news that they were out of control.
    • 5419 posts
    August 18, 2015 12:11 PM PDT
    I think they are talking about the ones up in Mendicino and Humbolt counties which is pretty far north of where Hunter is heading.

Can you imagine what a fire in Humbolt County smells like :-)
    • 19007 posts
    August 19, 2015 1:57 AM PDT
    sweet smell of grass burning?????
    • 57 posts
    August 19, 2015 10:42 AM PDT
    Thanks,
    • 3006 posts
    August 20, 2015 8:32 AM PDT
    Looks like you should have smooth sailing up to Sacramento,the fog rolled in and the temps are considerably cooler.The firefighters have most of the local blazes under control for now. The ride should be nice to Sacramento,a bit windy over the bridges,just slow down a bit and bring plenty of sunscreen.!!!
    Stay safe & enjoy the ride
    • 57 posts
    August 28, 2015 9:13 AM PDT
    Ok so we stayed a few extra days,fires weren't really an issue.We rode out to Lake Tahoe and had a lot of haze and smoke but know fire, no problems around Napa area but several roads closed in Kings Canyon NP a lot of fire equipment and Heavy Smoke in Sequoia NP but just a beautiful ride the road going south out of the park was a Blast I wanted to turn around and go back but it was already getting late.On the way back to the coast the bike looked like we rode thru a vegetable stand. We were hit by tomatoes -garlic bulbs- brussels sprouts and we think almonds,took the PCH back to SF from somewhere near Monterey and spent a couple extra days there. Thanks for the info again