Lookig to ride cross country

• March 22, 2015 11:58 AM PDT
     im looking to ride cross country and back this summer. Just the bike and a tent. From Florida to California, to washington to Maine and back down to Florida. Looking for other riders. 
  • March 22, 2015 11:01 PM PDT
    Update- I'm looking for either a woman that wants to ride on back or has her own bike or guys who have their own bike. Just looking for company on a long trip.
    • 57 posts
    March 23, 2015 1:51 PM PDT
    Sounds like a great ride,hope you have enough time allowed to enjoy it.Ride Safe
    • 314 posts
    March 24, 2015 1:03 AM PDT
    I just happen to see this on another site. Since your looking at a long trip it could be an idea

One way to enjoy a LONG tour and keep the onboard gear to an absolute minimum is to use the U.S. Post Office and FedEx.

When you plan your route, you MUST pick several post offices that you will stop at along the way. They can be major cities or smaller towns, but it is important to pick post offices that WILL be open when you come by. Don't pick a post office that is closed on Saturday or Sunday, and don't pick one that is at your daily destination, because it will probably be closed when you arrive. Post offices at your planned lunch breaks on weekdays work best.

Log into FedEx and establish an account that is tied to your credit card number. You will be given a customer number which you can use to print self-adhesive shipping labels that you carry with you. Place a label on any box of nearly any size, and it will be shipped automatically. Your card will be billed for the shipping costs. This works great for that big widget you bought on the road, with no way to get it home.

Now, PLAN your trip. Are you traveling in variable climates? (Cold and Hot) Are you anticipating any specific activities like fishing, rock climbing, etc. along the way?

Once you know your basic route, and you have selected your mid-day Post Office stops, get several small boxes. The 1.5 cu. ft. boxes from your local moving store work best. Get GOOD packing tape, and a bag of foam peanuts. Pick up a small paper air freshener for each box.

Pack what you will need from that point to the NEXT point into each box. A change of clothing, a fresh sweatshirt, thermals, a windbreaker, a floppy hat for sun while you stop at a stadium to watch the football game, swim trunks, flip-flops, etc. In this way, your photographs won't have you wearing the same two shirts in every photo throughout the tour! For socks and underwear, slip them into a large zip-lok freezer bag with a dryer sheet to keep them "tame" until you wash them.

Pack the items that you CANNOT find on the road ... YOUR brand of deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen, lotions and potions, etc. Zip-Lok freezer bags are great for shipping this stuff, I normally double up on the bags to insure that they do not leak. I also pack things like AA-batteries in the packages, and things that would cost much more on the road or at a tourist trap. Don't forget postage stamps for letters, postcards, etc., and envelopes, and pens.

Pack anything other bulky items you will need. A change of shoes. A fresh CPAP mask, for instance. Adult diapers. Some DVD movie(s) you might want to watch in your hotel room. Whatever. The goal is to not have to carry it with you for the entire tour.

NOTE: When shipping liquids, the boxes may ride on airplanes. This causes bottles to expand with the reduced air pressure in cargo compartments. The solution to this is to open the bottle, squeeze the air out of it and seal the bottle tightly again WHILE it is squeezed. Then, if the bottle expands in the plane, it will not leak.

Any box that you send to YOURSELF in care of GENERAL DELIVERY will automatically be held by the receiving post office for 30 days. After that, it will be returned to the shipper's address (your home.) On the shipping label, it helps to print a nice 4x5 photo of your smiling face ...

"Only THIS PERSON (your mugshot) is authorized to pick up this package. It will be claimed on or about (date.)"

Stop at the post office. Pick up the box that is waiting for you. Change out clean clothes for dirty ones. Take out the fresh batteries, etc. Put the things you no longer need (but want to keep) into the box. Ladies, change out your jewelry and makeup. Swap out a purse. Ship heels and a dress for that dinner with the in-laws!

Open one scented air freshener and place it into the box to handle the used clothing issue. Dryer sheets work well too for this, but they must be stored in a zip-lok bag until ready for use so they don't dry out or go stale.

Take out the pre-printed shipping label that is already IN the box and attach it to the outside of the box, and seal it good with the roll of tape you carry with you. Ship it home again (or to a neighbor or family member) where it will be waiting for you when you return. Now you are good until you reach the next post office. Don't let boxes stack up at your front door, or be left out in the rain, or to be stolen!

For items you buy along the way, the pre-printed, self-adhesive FedEx shipping labels are great! Simply slap one onto anything you buy and have the STORE hand it to the FedEx guy when he comes by. You don't even have to carry it out to your bike! If it is not boxed, take it to a packaging store and box it up, and slap the label onto that box. They will charge you a small fee to box up the item. FedEx will also hold packages for you. check with them for the details.

With proper planning, you can enjoy:

A wider variety of clothing (not wearing the same thing every day.)

Shedding cold weather clothing when you no longer need it

picking up cold weather clothing only WHEN you need it

Traveling very light.

Having what you need, where and when you need it.

No delays sitting around at laundromats, or handing your laundry to the hotel staff to be washed with those of other guests.

The ability to buy larger items and get them home safely.

Not paying "tourist" prices for items you can buy cheaply at home, or already have.

If your tour is longer than 30 days, have a trusted friend take the next load of boxes to a post office (n) weeks into your trip to ship them out and start the 30-day retention clock at their destinations.
  • March 24, 2015 1:32 AM PDT
    Do you have your route planned ? Backroads or Interstate? How long do you plan to be on the road?
  • March 24, 2015 1:59 AM PDT
    Awesome idea, Paul. Thank you!
  • March 24, 2015 1:59 AM PDT
    And I don't have a specific route planned. But it will be only backroads. I want to enjoy the ride. Lol
    • 5419 posts
    March 24, 2015 3:11 AM PDT
    Sounds like a great trip, one day I hope to do the same. I like Paula's post on shipping stuff from point to point. We do that when we do LONG. However I don't usually do the return thing. Throughout the year I save jeans, shirts, underwear and socks that have one or two more wearings left. I put them away for when we travel. When they get dirty I throw them away, then the next set is waiting at FedEx or the PO for me.

Hope you have a fun and safe trip.
    • 3006 posts
    March 24, 2015 6:12 AM PDT
    Sounds like a great ride!! I know a few ol school riders who have done a similar ride,yet they took the southern routes as they claimed people in the south were the friendliest and the riding weather better. They rode from here in SF bay to Florida n back.

Those ideas for the ride were excellent Paula,another way to enjoy the trip more w/less clutter in the saddle bags.I know some other riders on here use the same way to ship stuff in advance to the major rallys.

Hope you have many miles of smiles on the trip
    • 1855 posts
    March 24, 2015 8:25 AM PDT
    Check out this route.

• March 26, 2015 9:55 AM PDT
    Jimmy- I like it! Can you post a link so I can access the route?
    • 1855 posts
    March 26, 2015 11:17 AM PDT
    Harleypatriot wrote...
    Jimmy- I like it! Can you post a link so I can access the route?

Actually it's a google trip to hit 50 landmarks.  A great deal of it is interstate but there are ways around that.  The beginning Florida landmark is near Cape Canaveral.  Google Cape Canaveral to New Orleans, enlarge the google map to bring up the state routes or u.s. routes.  From Rte 98 in Florida (a great scenic route) you can follow that along the western gulf shore and into Alabama.  I-10 from Mobile Bay, Alabama to New Orleans is not a bad ride.

As you look at and move your google map west you can see some great routes north before you get to New Orleans.  You can plan the entire route using the google map, moving it along in the direction you wish to go.  Another good source is the U.S./State Maps in the booklet from HOG where you can also see the location of HD shops (assuming you ride a Harley). 

If you head north to Arkansas you can take 412 west across the Oklahoma Panhandle into New Mexico.  When you cross the border of Oklahoma into northeast N. Mexico you'll be in for a great ride but you'll have to work your way through some terrain and may discover than I-40 may be your best bet.  I wish I could give you more but I'd be here all night and the next day trying to remember how I got from where to where.  Just make sure you keep your gas in check along the way and carry some octane booster with you as you'll find places where there is none in the gas. 

Good luck.  Hope ya find a riding partner.   We're heading out of Ohio near the end of May to S. Carolina and then wherever the bike takes us until the realtor calls and tells us our home is sold and we need to come home.  LOL   We could be out quite awhile though we whatever happens with the house, we're not spending another winter in Ohio. 

Peace

• March 26, 2015 12:30 PM PDT
    I will check it out. Thanks.
  • March 27, 2015 1:08 AM PDT
    Looks like the route leaves out Hwy 1 in Ca. and Hwy 101 in Oregon and Washington----great rides. If you go to Las Vegas and to the Ca. coast, check out Hwy 2 in Ca. Also the Big Bend area in Texas (hwy 170 along the border). It does include the "Road to the Sun", need to check when it is open (closed most of the year). When in TN. and NC. make the" Dragon" and other rides in that area. When do you plan to start your trip?
    • 86 posts
    April 6, 2015 2:38 PM PDT
    jimmyacorn where did you find this route?