WHAT WOULD YOU RIDE?

• 9 posts
    March 19, 2015 1:40 PM PDT
     The year? Ain't important...as long as it's SAFE. I'm a bit too old now to have to worry 'bout this 'n that. 
    I been ridin' close to 35 yrs, and my bike of choice is still a Harley-Davidson SPORTSTER. 

I fit them, and they...fit me. 

And here in Jax, that barterin' you talk about and know, up yonder? 
    Is non-existent, here in the SOUTH. 

It's dog-eat-dog down here, Brother. Sad to say. 
    Not sayin' a Brother won't STOP for another on the road... 

But therein, lies the rub, 
    and one that's always been my curse. 

I'm NOT a "BROTHER"...I'm a Mother. Feel me? (spellin' notwithstanding) 

And I've been a ridin' "baby", since before most of the rider's today...were babies. 
    When a LONE ridin' Momma, was tokened, a "Road Whore". 

Things are diff'rnt, and that's all good. 
    And I'm not depressed. Not at all...anymore. 

Do I MISS IT? 
    That's a silly question, then ain't it? 

You can take my bike from underneath me... 
    but you can't take the life, 

That God breathed into me. 

Ride Free 
    Tweek 

• 3006 posts
    March 20, 2015 4:18 AM PDT
    Some of the most good looking motorcycles on the road are Sportsters, seen some customized really sweet.
    I nearly purchased one new back 02. Yet I ended up w/my Honda,and very happy overall with it.Still I often think that the Sportster would have been the better ride overall.My main criteria was saddle height,the Harley was about two inches higher & those of us vertically challenged like lower saddles. LOL also recall at the time Harleys were at a premium,and not a lot of any good used rides at a reasonable price.Now a days it seems like there is a ton of product out there here on the coast, and negotiating price is normal again for new riders looking to buy.

Stay positive and keep the faith, you still have plenty of more miles in the saddle to ride !!!
    You are just a youngster)
    • 10 posts
    March 20, 2015 9:43 AM PDT
    Here you go Tweek. I hope the link opens up.  Remember "Then Came Bronson" ?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/378724649884595496/
    • 1 posts
    March 20, 2015 11:46 AM PDT

I would pretty much ride anything that has 2 wheels a seat, handlebars and brakes...optional
    • 9 posts
    March 20, 2015 2:52 PM PDT
    panheadgeorge wrote...

It actually didn't work..dagnabbit.  I even tried to C& P to the google search.
    Can't remember my pinterest password, or I'd try it there....lol

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 10 posts
    March 21, 2015 3:28 AM PDT
    highlight the text, right click and "go to https:"

TV Series was in 69-70

He is riding your sportster
  • March 21, 2015 7:10 PM PDT
    I think most of us started on sporsters simply because that's the harley I could afford at the time. I still love waking the neighbors and ripping around Escondido on my sporty and I don't care what others think about my ride. I love riding and it sure don't matter that what the next guy or gal thinks to me.
    • 1 posts
    March 22, 2015 2:37 PM PDT
    who cares what it is as long as you're having fun...i rode there in your country twice big miles on non american you think I cared? Not a bit...sounds like ego if you care..riding is riding..get out there and just do it. With an engine of course..pedal power is for lyrca wearers..
    • 9 posts
    March 24, 2015 11:28 AM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    panheadgeorge wrote...

It actually didn't work..dagnabbit.  I even tried to C& P to the google search.
    Can't remember my pinterest password, or I'd try it there....lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
    GOT IT.  And I love the song too...THUMBS UP!!!

• 9 posts
    March 24, 2015 11:46 AM PDT
    I don't come here near as much as I want to...anymore. As I've felt the "sting" of "wannabe" status.
    I refuse to debate that SHIT, as I've been legit, and a BIKER for almost 35 years.

I was one of one in Lakeland, FL, until I talked the Dealership Owner's daughter into takin' the safety course
    with me. We did, and bought bikes (altho I'm kinda sure, she didn't have to pay...lol) My husband (WAS)
    the head mechanic.

We were incredulously, both so proud of our NEW HARLEY'S!!!

My FIRST, NEW HARLEY.
    Her's too.

She was hit from behind at a stop light, two years later and died.

I felt GUILTY.

I mean her dad owned the dealership, right. But up until I MOTIVATED her, she never really
    thought about ridin' HER OWN.

And I have led, and live a BLESSED LIFE.

So, IF, I don't get to ride, RIGHT NOW???
    That's how it's supposed to go.

And I, don't have to 'splain that...
    to anyone.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1161 posts
    March 25, 2015 2:33 AM PDT
         I have as long as I can remeber wanted a harley.   But it was just never in the cards (as of yet I'm still younger 38).  But I'm more then happy to be on two wheels (Honda) even if it is not a Harley.  But lately I have been looking into other bikes as well, Because my body can't take the punishment of riding long distances with out something to lean against for my back.  I want to ride to all (Lower) 48 states since I have done that in a cage already.  
  • March 25, 2015 3:05 AM PDT
    I've owned and ridden British, Japaneses, and American and best I can remember they all made my hair blow and my eyes water. Only difference is maybe the sound.
    Dragon
  • March 25, 2015 5:04 AM PDT
    I'm on my 4th Sportster since 1973....love 'em! I've had a 900, 2 1000's and now a 1200,but, if you are planning to ride across country, as I am, I suggest going larger. I do love my Piglets, but my kidneys, lowerback, ass, spine, and every other piece of my body would not be forgiving if I did not use a larger cruiser....after-all, I'm not in my first set of 20's anymore....3rd set does not recover so quickly! Retirement next week and then the search for my FX or FL for my dream vacation! Ride to Live, Live to Ride!
    • 6 posts
    July 20, 2015 1:06 AM PDT

20 years ago I got off the old Harley and had never thought of riding again. Now, after three heart attacks, one stroke, and four cancer surgeries, I've figured out the open road is the best medicine. In May, I rode to Maggie Valley, N.C. and down the Dragon. Wet and cool but still a good ride. I made the 1500 miles in four days on a loaded down XV250 from South-Central Illinois. I could ride other bikes, but I just needed the challenge. I never had more fun on any ride. September, I'm gonna do it again!

• 1161 posts
    July 22, 2015 10:14 AM PDT
    Oh ya mac117, I had planned on getting a bigger bike. As of a two weeks ago I have gotten a Honda VTX 1300R.  So far I love this bike!
     I would still love to get a Harley-Davidson.
  • October 19, 2015 2:20 PM PDT
    when you throw a leg over it an it stirs your soul ride the wheels off it
    • 58 posts
    October 20, 2015 12:51 AM PDT
     I loved my RK (my first HD in 40 yrs on 2 wheels).  I started looking for an E-Glide when she was sent to the garage in the sky by a Cadillac making a left turn and T-boning us.  I found the bike I bought, looked at another, came back to this one, looked at still another, and bought this one.  When you sit on "that" bike, there is just no getting away from it.

• November 24, 2015 12:54 PM PST
    My first bike was a Honda VT 1100 - put 2000 miles on it and decided it was time to move on up.
    I had originally planned on getting a Wide Glide, but wound up with the Yamaha Raider (1854cc)
    due to an awesome deal that came my way.

The Raider should last me until I can no longer ride, but I saw a yellow Goldwing F6B a few months ago
    that will just not get out of my head - will definitely check one out in the near future.
    • 9 posts
    January 28, 2016 3:19 PM PST
    It's been so long now, and my body is most def, NOT what it once was...
    But you know what? If I got another Sporty, sometime soon? I'd risk it all.
    I'd take that ride. I'd live with the pain (like I do now, for no apparent reason), and I'd ENJOY LIFE!

Jesus has shown me how to be content in my circumstance.
    If I were BLESSED with another BIKE?

YOU BET, I'D MAKE THE MOST OF THAT CIRCUMSTANCE.

Everytime I'd throw a leg over her...I'd not return to the barn, without
    tellin'  folks what HE has done for ME.

And askin' them, if they would like to meet Him.

RIde Free
    Tweek
    • 4 posts
    January 28, 2016 6:02 PM PST
    I had some good times on my Sporty. I have a great story bout how I got it....but this isnt the forum for that. I have owned a bunch of bikes....had fun with All of em!
    Luv my current ole gal....shes been good to me. Bought her from the orig owner w less than 23K on her, she Will roll past 200K this summer. While Im prepared to buy another...Im not ready to yet. Bikes that fit will find you.

Tweek...keep hope alive, stranger things have happened. Be safe and get in the wind.