Question for the Hunters

• February 12, 2015 1:17 AM PST
     Well in about a month I will be heading to Texas for a little Hog hunting. I have done plenty of hog hunting during the daylight hours, but also this trip I will be hunting at night as well. I mounted a "green" stinger flashlight on the end of my 30-30. Last night I tested it out in total darkness and I can't make out anything through the scope past 25 yards. I don't care to go out and spend ton's of money on a fancy night vison scope or high dollar Green light.
    So here is my crazy question.....What if I placed green glow sticks around the feeder. Does anybody think this will spook the Hogs or keep them from coming to the feeder? I hunted once at night with a "Red" light on the stand pointing at the feeder and I could barly make out the feeder. I'm not sure how hunting with colored lights would effect me as I am colored blind.
    Would appreciate any suggestions
    Night Dragon.......Funny Night Dragon can't see at night...LOL
    • 16795 posts
    February 12, 2015 5:37 AM PST
    A night scope is what I'd use.
    • 1855 posts
    February 12, 2015 7:01 AM PST
    Green light above the feeder will work. You will get a decent, pretty clear view of anything that comes in to feed.

Peace
    • 5419 posts
    February 12, 2015 8:23 AM PST
    We used to night hunt hogs in the everglades when I lived in Florida and I know that they spook much easier at night then do do during the day. Could be because it was the everglades and if is pretty damn quite and erie out there at night (I have never night hunted anywhere else). I would think that glow sticks at ground level or near ground level would be something they would stay away from, or at the least make them pretty damn cautious. I like Jimmyacorn's idea of the green light about the feeder, its seems it would look more natural blending with the moonlight from above.

When we hunted in the everglades at night we did it during a full moon which supplied plenty of light since there is no tall trees or vegetation.

Oh, by the way.  With enough ice for the meat and red bull to drive straight through you should be able to get from Texas to my house with fresh hog for a BBQ!!!!
    • 9 posts
    February 12, 2015 11:19 AM PST
    I watched a video on "the other social site" tonite, which totally freaked me out...
    It was a huge HEARD of wild boar, stampeding through the hill country of the Smoky Mountains.

I'm thinkin' you'd be wise to invest in a nite-scope of some kind, Kenny.
    I don't think you'd wanna be taken by surprise....

**and...there's no sure way to know just what those hog's can see
    in the dark.

NO ONE, can shoot that many pigs.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 0 posts
    February 12, 2015 4:23 PM PST
    3 words. front toward enemy
    • 314 posts
    February 12, 2015 9:46 PM PST
    I went once years ago,exciting. Look forward to hearing about yours
  • February 13, 2015 3:57 AM PST
    BOOF wrote...
    3 words. front toward enemy

Sounds like your talking claymores 
    Yep that should do it for sure

• February 13, 2015 3:59 AM PST
    I made a video camera bracket our of an old Harley part to mount it on my rail system on the 30-30. Hope to get some good video's of the event.
  • February 13, 2015 4:08 AM PST
    I know from hunting during the day.......Hogs can smell very well so ya need to be down wind from them,( the hogs scent blowing toward the hunter) and there hearing is pretty good as well. As for sight I think they can't make out colors, but can detect movement. Also they don't have the ability to look UP very well. I was setting in a bow stand one time and about 12 hogs just walked right under me. Never knew I was there until I let go with a 300 win-mag. To much gun for Hogs......note to self.
    Anyone else care to add to that?
    ND
    • 1855 posts
    February 13, 2015 6:43 AM PST
    My family tells a story about me that I was too young to remember. W. Virginia born I was in the woods up behind my Mamma's house. Hogs were put out to feed on their own late spring/early summer back in the days. My uncle tells me that I was 5 years old with a big ole sow hot on my tail and I was a hollerin', runnin' like a scart rabbit. He said, "Ya' cleared that there dang fence 'round that empty hog pen liken a yearlin'. Musta been a four foot leap but you made 'er none too soon landin' smack dab on yer face. Came up a cryin' and a face full o' hog shit you did. Mamma was a screamin' at me cuz I was supposed to be watchin' ya. We was scart for ya, but ya made us all laugh when you ran over and proceeded to kick that ole hog's nose a pokin' through the fence".

The way I see it; it was just one traumatic experience for a 5 year old that's funny when someone else tells the story than me remembering it. Bu my uncle tells that story to all the young folk in the family. Kind of makes me feel special to be a part of family folklore. Sometimes I pretend I remember and embellish the ending some. My grand kids love it.
    Hogs ain't nothing to take casual, that's for sure. I do remember a couple of fall round ups and everyone was packing double something or another. Have a great hunt.

Peace
    • 57 posts
    February 13, 2015 10:55 PM PST
    Dragon, it sounds like your biggest challenge will be the lack of light required for night hunting,there are a lot of different types available some good and some not,Google Varmint hunting Light.I recently went night hunting with a friend who simply zip tied hand held rechargeable spot lights to tripods and we were able to shoot 150 yards with no problem,Pigs make a lot of noise when feeding so when you think they are at the feeder fire-up the light and the 30-30. I know you said you don't want to spend a bunch of cash but a good quality Night Vision scope would only set you back the price of a real good used truck,Hahaha check out Nightvision4less.com Have fun and tear em up. P.S I use an illuminated reticle for night hunts Good Luck
  • March 1, 2015 2:44 AM PST
     Well I leave 2 weeks from today for Texas for a little Hog Hunting, and I think I finally have my 30-30 set up for some night hunting. I have the regular stinger flashlight set up on top of the scope (to look for snakes), and the Green Light mounted on the side. I invested  a little over $100 for the Orion H25-G 300 lumens Green light. I checked it out in total darkness and it will light up the area out to about 150 yards, which should be within the range I need.
    The crazy thing is I bought this Tact Rifle because of the light weight (7 pounds) well the more I add the heaver it get's. I made a mount for a video camera but don't think I will use it.
    Everyone be safe
    Night Dragon
    • 1855 posts
    March 1, 2015 5:42 AM PST
    Nice weapon ND. If the snow melts you just might make it to Texas.
    • 2 posts
    March 1, 2015 9:01 AM PST
    Your rifle, your life, your choice, but why put a scope on a quick pointing, lever gun?

If it was mine I would bag the scope and go for something like this

reviews.cabelas.com/8815/225309/truglo-winchester-94-rifle-sight-set-reviews/reviews.htm
  • March 1, 2015 10:03 AM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    Your rifle, your life, your choice, but why put a scope on a quick pointing, lever gun?

If it was mine I would bag the scope and go for something like this

reviews.cabelas.com/8815/225309/truglo-winchester-94-rifle-sight-set-reviews/reviews.htm

Well my 66 year old eyes are not what they were a few years ago. I want to make sure I make a quick kill and not allow the Hog to suffer. That is why I chose to use a scope.
    Maybe your eyes are good enought to use iron sights......... Bless you and good luck with that.

• 611 posts
    March 2, 2015 5:44 AM PST
     HOLY CRAP Dragon! I think the video mount, a GPS on the left side... perhaps a shark 'bang-stick' underneath and don't forget the hand-truck/dolly to roll it out to the stand! HAHahahahahaaaa...
    omg... still laughing.. at myself. I crack myself up... 
    No I'm just poking fun, it's a beauty rifle! Dig that slide-out composite stock, nicely mounted scope (my 60 year-old eyes need one too) and you say the green light on the side reaches 150'? Sweet. I read your post again (short-term memory) but I don't think you said if you'll be in a stand. As you already know, hunting from the ground brings its own variables. Terrain, brush etc could mean that you'll be closer than 150' to the 'big bad pig'. Should be no problem getting off a kill-shot. Just remember that when they scatter, a few might head right for you so be ready for a 'hip shot'. I know you'll also have your sidearm for upclose and personal. 
    The little 'snake-spotter' maglight on top could be removed and you could wear the light on your hat. That way where you looked, there's the light & you wouldn't have to be pointing the rifle at the ground. Just a thought...
    All right, looks like you're geared up and pumped! Have a great hunt, enjoy yourself and kill a pig or three!
    Edgeman
    • 5419 posts
    March 2, 2015 10:29 AM PST
    Hey Dragon.  If you are looking for a nice video cam for the gun check out TachyOn Gun cam.  They are advertisers here (bike/helmet cam) and I know them well.  I have tried their gun cam at demos and pretty cool.  They sell lots to comp shooters, law enforcement and military...http://www.tachyoninc.com/guncam.html
  • March 24, 2015 9:35 AM PDT
     Back from the Hog Hunt in Texas...........Got home with two 100 pound Hogs.
    • 57 posts
    March 24, 2015 9:41 AM PDT
    Bacon Baby,so how did the new Gun and Light set-up work out ?
  • March 24, 2015 1:12 PM PDT
    Hunter55 wrote...
    Bacon Baby,so how did the new Gun and Light set-up work out ?

The gun and light set up worked great. That 30-30 is plenty gun for Hogs.

• 314 posts
    March 25, 2015 12:44 AM PDT
    Nice job, congrats