Self defense

• January 13, 2015 12:47 AM PST
     Is it legal to carry a handgun on a motorcycle in Arizona or California?
  • January 13, 2015 2:44 AM PST
    I have been to Arizona Bike week twice, and carried out in the open both times. No guns in bars however! Arizona has an open carry policy. Now it has been a long time since I lived in California, but what I understand they are not a gun friendly state. Maybe someone from Calif. can weight in on this part.
    Best of luck and be careful
    Night Dragon
    • 5419 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:04 AM PST
    Arizona definitely and open carry state. California NO.

California Penal Code section 25610 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

I have check with the local sheriff and this also includes a locked saddle bag or tour pack.

There is no open carry permitted in California for a handgun. To carry on your person you must have a CCW license.

Here is a good site in case you are traveling... http://www.handgunlaw.us/
  • January 13, 2015 9:45 AM PST
    Can the gun be loaded inside a saddlebag?
    • 5419 posts
    January 13, 2015 10:12 AM PST
    No, you can not transport a loaded weapon in CA unless you have a license to carry.
    • 0 posts
    January 13, 2015 11:18 AM PST
    pointy stick and pocket fulla rocks will do us when we return this year
    • 57 posts
    January 13, 2015 11:11 PM PST
    Bigdog, without the proper permits or license i don't think you will find many locations where carrying a loaded firearm is permitted,and for what its worth carrying a loaded firearm locked in the glove box or saddlebag isn't going to make you any safer than leaving it locked in the safe at home and if you haven't been effectively trained and practiced with that firearm just leave it at home,use your head and enjoy the ride,
  • January 14, 2015 1:52 AM PST
    Bigdog look up and read "Self-Defense and the 21 foot rule"
    You will be surprised how safe you will be with a Knife instead of a Gun.
    Be safe out there
    Night Dragon
  • January 14, 2015 3:14 AM PST
    thanks for all the info, also read about self-defense and the 21 ft rule lots of good info nightdragon thanks
    • 1 posts
    January 17, 2015 5:11 PM PST
    When I was last in Cali..I stayed in Inglewood cause I didn't know any better..saw plenty but Inglewood cops do a great job..never felt safer. If that helps. Being a tourist from another country I'm not allowed to carry much at all..espcially any guns.
  • January 18, 2015 4:33 AM PST
    I carry in my work and have to travel. I find checking the reciprocity map to be helpful. If you don't have a CCW permit - get one by all means.