When A Simple Project Goes Down Hill

• 5417 posts
    January 11, 2015 5:18 AM PST
    I know each and everyone of you has had a simple little project that has turned into a multi-day project - and normally caused by yourself.

Well that was my Friday.  A week or so ago my microwave went out - kapooee - just fried.  So a friend of mine who works for an apartment complex told me they were remoldling and selling the microwaves, stoves, fridges that they removed and they worked.  So I picked up a good condition large over the stove microwave for just $20.  

Good deal and quick job installing with the help of my son... just change out the wall mounting plate, slp the microwave in and reconnect to exhaust vent.  Al done in less then an hour and feeling rather proud on how quickly we got it done.  

So I go to cook a cup o soup and 15 seconds in I here a slight pop an micowave shuts off.  I figure maybe in transporting the micro we knocked the main fuse loose so I open the control panel and pull the fuse.  When I went to the garage to get a meter to test the fuse the control panel falls and breaks the circuit board off where the wires connected.  So the new microwave is now trash.  No problem call my friend and he has another and won't even charge me.

In the meantime I notice that sever lights thropughout the house are out.  I check the microwave outlet and no power.  Since I remodeled the kitchen myself 10 years back I knew there were wires in the wall and figured I must have drilled through one putting the new mounting plate in.  I bust the wall open and find that is not the problem.  Of course while ripping the drywall off (even though I scored it - it ripped down past where the microwave would cover.  Again knowing the wiring in the kitchen I traced it back to a simple loose wire nut on the outlet prior to the microwave.  Since it was arching I figure that is what fried the original microwave.

Bottom line is because of one loose wire nut I now have a second broken microwave, replaced a 2' x 2' piece of drywall and have to patch and paint the entire kitchen wall.  Still waiting on the second replacement microwave.

• 16795 posts
    January 11, 2015 6:20 AM PST
    That's why when I start anything I expect the worst, most times things go right and I'm happy, but if not I'm less upset.
    • 1855 posts
    January 11, 2015 6:44 AM PST
    I absolutely hate doing projects on my own. Not because I don't want to do anything but simply to have a buddy around for encouragement AND blame when the OL asks, "What the hell did you do?"

Peace
    • 1 posts
    January 11, 2015 8:52 AM PST
    I'm in the same boat...electricity can stop your heart...so I don't play with it....The last time I was mucking around with a power saw..I dropped it and near cut of my little toe...ever seen slow motion in reality? standing there watching as the power saw inched its way towards my toe and not moving....and then zap...it stalled in 2 movements the blade slicing 2 neat cuts in my toe.
    • 3006 posts
    January 11, 2015 3:30 PM PST
    Same here,seems like I go to do some simple sort of job & it turns into a hassle,yet I am fairly use to the scenario so I am by no means surprised anymore when it does happen.Like changing out my rear wheel to replace the tire,piece of cake getting it out,nearly had a hernia trying to mount it back on.
    • 19004 posts
    January 11, 2015 11:52 PM PST
    HA!
    • 5417 posts
    January 11, 2015 11:52 PM PST
    Yeah Jimmy I was going to blame my son since he was helping, but he is faster then me. As soon as Laura walked through the door, before I could even turn around, he is quick to tell her he didn't do it. But she knows me and probably already figured that out :-)
    • 19004 posts
    January 12, 2015 12:20 AM PST
    Riley has you figured out...
    • 5417 posts
    January 12, 2015 1:04 AM PST
    Oh yeah he has. That is why I normally blame the dog. But kind of hard to blame a wiring problem on the dog :-)
  • January 12, 2015 1:43 AM PST
    Yep I feel your pain.......If I plan on working on a car / truck or anything that requires more than a screw driver, first I hit my thumb with a hammer, then drag a couple of knuckles across the radiator.......then I'm ready to start work.
    • 1 posts
    January 12, 2015 2:52 AM PST
    Okay now I have to rethink reworking my 07 engine, just joking on that.
    Lose wire nuts are the number reason for electrical fires. Check them and then recheck them, and then pull on those suckers tight a third time, better safe then sorry. And last: I was thinking of up redoing all the electrical in the entire house as the garage now needs more watts then I can give it safely, I will hire some one else to do that as then I have someone to blame besides me. (electrical is still not my strong suit, even though I have made it a point to learn.)
    • 0 posts
    January 13, 2015 11:28 AM PST
    Yall never owned an ironhead aye?....
    • 10 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:02 PM PST
    If the voltage is low, then your microwave will draw more current than it is rated for. That is what will burn up anything electric with a motor.  Loose wires also contribute to the problem.
  • January 14, 2015 2:13 AM PST
    Nice to see BOOF again missed ya.
    Be safe down there
    ND
    • 9 posts
    February 7, 2015 6:23 AM PST
    I did, I did!!! lol
    And I hate to mess with any of that stuff. DONE DONE DONE.

It's worth it, to hire that stuff out. The money you save on new appliances, wiring, walls, paint....
    oh yeah...
    C'mere Yellow Pages.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    February 7, 2015 9:29 AM PST
    So far our kitchen remodel project is moving right along.  Just sold the stove....cheap of course to a young couple.  Unfortunately our new stove, cabinets, and counter tops won't be in for another 2-3 weeks.  Is that a project gone "down hill"? So I guess we go out to breakfast and dinner for awhile.

Wiring is being updated.  Knocking the wall out on the living room side and putting in a breakfast bar.  It's all gonna be real nice and ready to be put on the market.  Remember, we're moving to Alabama come hell or high water. 

Peace
    • 1855 posts
    February 7, 2015 9:30 AM PST
    BTW, notice the captains chair in the background from a 1994 Chevy Van. That's gone too. LOL