Sturgis 2015..75th Anniversary

• September 3, 2014 12:42 PM PDT
     I've never been to Sturgis but plan on going next year in 2015. It's the 75th anniversary and I'm looking for tips. So far multiple people say camp or stay outside of town (deadwood). I'll be riding solo from NorCal or with 1-3 others. Planning on staying in Elko then Rock Springs each way... 2 days to get there two days home. I'm more interested in the ride and Rushmore, Crazy horse, etc. than down town.

Any lodging suggestions? One suggestion was to go the week before to avoid the crowds. I've been riding for 12 years but sounds like a ton of rookies show up and can be more dangerous than cagers...  Thanks in advance.
    • 79 posts
    September 3, 2014 3:39 PM PDT
    Book soon,called the campground we always stay at and all the cabins are booked already.
    • 1855 posts
    September 3, 2014 10:58 PM PDT
    My suggestion is check out the area around Hot Springs. It's a great area and you most likely won't run into a lot of idiots. It's close to the monuments and the places you'd love to ride. 10 miles or less from the Wyoming border and a great ride up to Devil's Tower.

Best Value Inn....reserve now.

Peace
    • 57 posts
    September 4, 2014 12:56 AM PDT
    Suggestion,if you are staying in Motels book soon and if you're really not interested in the downtown Sturgis scene stay further away,it'll cost a little less and if you are camping don't take cheap gear or you will pay the price when those summer t-storms come rolling through.check surrounding area's for cabins but they book faster than motel rooms so act fast,i have stayed in cabins at Custer State park and motels 70 miles away,Do it your way Not what someone else's idea of Sturgis is.
  • September 4, 2014 11:14 AM PDT
    Great tips everyone. I appreciate you taking the time.
    • 5417 posts
    September 4, 2014 11:48 AM PDT
    Depends on what you are looking for as far as the actual Sturgis event goes. To be honest I am done with Sturgis rally. Been there a couple of times - both times stayed at the Buffalo Chip. The first time had to go into town just to do it and park my bike on the main street. Shopped all the vendors, saw the demos and shows and did lots of riding in the Black Hills. Second time we never left the campgrounds except to do the day rides in the hills. It was more about hanging out with friends, both old and new. Like I said we stayed at the Chip because we like the party and the concerts and don't mind all the people - hell, some of my best friends are people :-)

But there are plenty of choices for staying a little away from it all including quite campgrounds, hotels and even lots of private rental homes. If you have never been, I would kind of recommend being there for at least part of the rally. Just something about hundreds of thousands of bikes all in one area that is pretty cool. Yeah its crowded, and yeah there are some newer riders, but just be extra careful.

Good luck and have a great time whatever you decide.
    • 79 posts
    September 4, 2014 5:07 PM PDT
    We go to Sturgis on wednesday and thats it,the rest of the rally is about the rides so we stay 50 miles from Sturgis.There are still bikes everywhere but you are not spending hours trying to get out of town.
    • 467 posts
    September 5, 2014 2:29 AM PDT
    I live here, so for me Rally is about old friends. I stay at Glencoe (which I've already booked for next year) with pretty much the same people I've been camping with for more than 15 years. We do a few day rides together into farm country (Stone House, Vail, Aladdin, Beulah) where the traffic is less and you don't have to go through town. We save our downtown trip for Friday (when all the big sales are).
    And going the week before to avoid crowds is kind of a myth. Everyone seems to have the same idea! Every 5th year, we go for the full week before and of Rally. If you want to come up for some of the big party and still be able to ride the Black Hills with less crowds, then I suggest you get here on Tuesday and stay till the Tuesday after Rally. (This is what we do every year that is not a 5th year) Things really start slowing down on Thursday.
    But of course, this is all for a normal year. Next year being the 75th, it's going to be a mad house!
  • September 5, 2014 4:39 AM PDT
    Keep an open mind!! Check out everything that Sturgis has to offer. There is alot more to Sturgis than a bunch of drunks and topless women like all the tv shows would have you believe. We really enjoy our rides thru Custer national park with all the buffaloes etc. The biggest thing that we take away from our visits to Sturgis each time we go is all the great people that we have met thru the years while camping at various campgrounds.
    • 16795 posts
    September 5, 2014 4:52 AM PDT
    We were there in 1990 for the 50th, and 1997, and 2006.
    We only had problems with some spoiled rich kids in 1997 at the campground.
    I had a serious talk with the leader of the bunch, problem solved.
    • 1855 posts
    September 5, 2014 7:04 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Was it REV that solved the problem or Big John?  LOL

• 284 posts
    September 5, 2014 10:29 AM PDT
    Never gone to the big rallies. I like the smaller ones. But I do know that any rally whether you are camping or staying in a motel you better book it well in advance. Places seem to book out fast, months in advance.
    • 16795 posts
    September 5, 2014 5:30 PM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Was it REV that solved the problem or Big John?  LOL

Big John

• 3006 posts
    September 8, 2014 6:43 PM PDT
    This looks like a great ride.An older friend of mine went back in the late 70's he said it was good ride & best part was the riding area around town up there.He camped out outside of town.Basically just his bedroll n a tarp.

Nowadays people are planning a year out for vacations like this,and this coming 75th anniv celebration will be huge.

• September 9, 2014 12:19 AM PDT
    We'll be going. But FYI for all. Talking with the local businesses, they said at the 50th anniversary theer were 650,000 who came and they are speculating 850,000 for next year..Also cost on motel rooms will be approx. 300-350.00 per night during the week of....
  • September 21, 2014 1:02 PM PDT
    Great tips and insights. Thanks for taking the time to share.
  • October 17, 2014 11:48 AM PDT
    When you go stay away from the Buffalo Chip. Paid a ton of money, water was in and out, when they pumped my tanks they purposely did not pump out all so that they can come back. The after parties were controlled and if you were too loud they shut off your power after a few warnings. The party did not happen!!! This is not a lie. Simply being honest. I will never return to the Chip. Just not worth the time. Trust me.
  • November 2, 2014 6:07 AM PST
    Talked to a guy I know {who owns one of the campgrounds}, and most are already sold out.
  • December 17, 2014 2:06 AM PST

VENDORS WANTED FOR 75TH STURGIS RALLY

Come join the team at The Beaver Bar Sturgis

We are looking for over 100 vendors to set up at the NEWEST and BIGGEST BAR in Sturgis.

We have spaces available to meet your needs. 10X10 pricing starts at $1000.00 (Permit NOT Included)

Our plans for the 75th include many upgrades to the property with 2 100 foot longs decks that will overlook hwy 34 and we will continue the tradition of our $2.00 Ice Cold domestic beers.

We are the alternative to the high priced venues who only want your money. We want you to join our team and be a part of our Beaver Bar Family.

So email me at smileypromo@gmail.com and let me provide you with your vendor space for the Worlds Largest Motorcycle Rally.

again my email is

smileypromo@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jene Smiley Gilchrist

• December 17, 2014 2:19 AM PST
    The Beaver Bar (Across from FTS) which was new for 2014 is planning to have the campground up and running for the 75th. We will have 50 cabins that sleep 6, air and fridge. We will also have primitive tent/rv camping.

The Beaver Bar is planning some big things for the 75th and we offer you an alternative to the high price beers...

Our domestic bottle beer is ICE COLD and ONLY $2.00 ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

We will have some great bands, We are building 2 - 100 foot long decks that will overlook the roadway so you can watch the slow ever flowing stream of bikes inching by while you rock in one of our rocking chairs and drink your ICE COLD $2.00 BOTTLE BEER!

• 10 posts
    December 19, 2014 1:07 AM PST
    Rode there in 2010 and stayed at Shade Valley. Next time I would stay at Glencoe. I would like to go to Sturgis for riding without the crowded traffic when it is NOT bike week.
    • 467 posts
    December 19, 2014 8:50 AM PST
    Then you should come out by Thursday during the Rally and plan to stay after the it ends. The build up before the rally lasts almost all of July, but come Sunday morning...it's a ghost town.
    • 10 posts
    December 26, 2014 8:01 AM PST
    Will Glencoe be open after the rally? If I stayed after, where would I be able to camp? Days End?
    • 467 posts
    December 28, 2014 12:51 AM PST
    Technically Glencoe closes the Monday after the Rally. There might be a difference this year with it being a big year. Not sure about others. The people that own it are really nice and you should be able to call them with any questions.
  • January 4, 2015 7:34 AM PST
    This will be my first trip to Sturgis also. I have camping reservations just outside Sturgis. Not sure when I will leave, as I have plenty of time. I will be leaving for the Portland Oregon area. I have been to the Black Hills several times, but there is still a lot for me to see. Hope to see you on the road!