New Handlebars for the Road King

• 5417 posts
    August 17, 2014 6:22 AM PDT
    As you have heard me say many times... I don't do anything to my bike just for looks, but only for comfort, safety or reliability.  Well I have been having a problem with my hands falling asleep (especially my right hand) when riding so I was looking for new handle bars for the Road King.  Everyone suggested mini-apes to get my arms up at shoulder height and to pull them back so there was a slight bend in the elbow when riding,

I found lots of mini-apes out there but none of them felt exactly right, plus I am a cheap-o and most of these were only about $100 to $200 but the problem is they all required extending the wiring and cables which was another $350.  Thanks to a recommendation from my good buddy Jeff (highrisk) who told me he put stock Heritage handlebars on Deeners Road King and it required no cable changes.  I sat on Deeners Road King and the bars felt like they were made for me.

I went down to the Harley dealer last week and picked up a new set of Heritage handlebars ($79) and a set of Kuryakyn grips ($69) and wahla they went right on with all of the existing cables and wires.  It did take a little careful rebending of the solid  brake line Harley uses at the handlebars, but that was easy.  I am also going to get a 2" over clutch cable because with the new bars you can't route it thru the clamp on the forks and it flops aroud (probably time to change the cable anyway).

So if you are looking for inexpensive solution for really comfortable Road King handlebars I recommend the stock Heritage bars.

I also noiticed that on the 2014 Road King's this is what Harley has gone to.
    • 1855 posts
    August 17, 2014 7:40 AM PDT
    Looks good. Yep. I don't remember seeing you post about this before but that's what I did to the RoadKing I had. The Heritage Bars worked great. And, when I did buy the 2012 Heritage I put the taller apes on that and put those heritage bars on that '78 shovel. I too don't do a helluva lot for looks over practicality either. The larger apes lessened the stress on my upper back. Putting the Heritage Bars on the shovel? Well, waste not want not ya know. And those drag bars just were NOT going to cut it. BTW, I still have the original bars that came with my 2010 RK.

Peace
    • 5417 posts
    August 17, 2014 8:40 AM PDT
    We put my original Road King bars on my buddy's beach cruiser bicycle. Looks pretty cool with them Kuryakyn grips :-)
    • 1855 posts
    August 17, 2014 10:19 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    We put my original Road King bars on my buddy's beach cruiser bicycle. Looks pretty cool with them Kuryakyn grips :-)

• 16795 posts
    August 17, 2014 5:15 PM PDT
    COOL!
    • 19004 posts
    August 17, 2014 7:23 PM PDT
    You can also put stock (12.5 Mini Apes) wide glide bars on the King. Rex had them for about 4 years until I put the 16" chubby apes.
    • 284 posts
    August 17, 2014 10:50 PM PDT
    They look really nice. Glad you used your old bars on your buddies bike. I found just adjusting the angle of my stock bars made a big difference in my back and arms not hurting.

Want to make a big night time improvement. I put LED Center and 3in side lights.

It is amazing the increase in visibility.
    • 3006 posts
    August 18, 2014 5:48 AM PDT
    This reminds me of when I had my old yamaha and I had the bars heated and bent for some custom pullbacks.It sure made the ride a lot more comfortable.For the money it looks like an inexpensive way to improve the ride.It looks good on your ride too.
    • 13 posts
    August 18, 2014 8:31 PM PDT
    Looks good. What Kuryakyn grips did you get-- Iso or Kinetic?
    • 5417 posts
    August 19, 2014 2:02 AM PDT
    Got the ISO. Been riding wiith those for years and love them. This time I went black/black though
    • 844 posts
    August 19, 2014 9:31 AM PDT
    Looking good Lucky

But you been riding that 2007 all this time with stock bars?
    • 5417 posts
    August 19, 2014 11:21 AM PDT
    Yep Gofur been riding with the stock bars for over 6 years.  My last Road King had Chubby 508 pullback bars and I didn't like them so sold them with the bike.  Since I got this bike every time I come back from a trip a say I'm gonna change them.  Then I look at some bars and put it off until before the next trip.  then I'll be doing a pre-trip once over on the bike and cuss myself for not changing the bars.

Guess you can say I tend to procrastinate, which is something I need to work on... maybe tomorrow 
  • August 19, 2014 4:13 PM PDT
    I like your new bars. I liked the price and I considered them for my Road King before I ended up with the 2008 RK CVO bars. They are 1.25" bars so I went with internal wiring. I had the Chubby 513's, but they made my arms go numb.
    • 57 posts
    August 19, 2014 10:42 PM PDT
    The first thing I wanted changed on 14 ultra were the handle bars but the H-D Dealers keep telling me no one makes extended lines for Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS,painful elbows until then I guess
    • 5417 posts
    August 20, 2014 3:10 AM PDT
    Hunter, I would check with Harley again...

The new Diamondback™ and Diamond-Black Brake Lines make it easier to change the handlebars on 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring motorcycles. In order to swap out handlebars in earlier models, you were required to purchase both braided upper and lower brake lines. Since this is no longer the case on 2014 Touring models, you can expect a 30-50 percent savings in the cost of parts when you go to change handlebars because you would only have to purchase the braided upper lines. The new Upper and Lower mid Brake Line Kits act as a connection between braided lines and the ABS unit near the rear of your motorcycle. These mid brake lines have a stock finish and diameter that will fit along your vehicle’s backbone. To simplify installation, connections are made using JIC fittings.
    To install Diamondback™ or Diamond-Black Upper Brake Lines, use Upper Mid Brake Line Kit, P/N 41800321
    To install Diamondback™ or Diamond-Black Lower Brake Lines, use Lower Mid Brake Line Kit, P/N 41800323
    Note: Check with your Parts and Accessories sales associate regarding any part number requirements and/or fitment information for handlebar installation.
    • 57 posts
    August 21, 2014 12:47 AM PDT
    Thanks for the info Lucky I'll try some different H-D dealers, I really like the bike but the 10 inch bars are horrible unless you're 5'6"