Moving to TX

• May 27, 2014 6:14 AM PDT
    Well folks it looks like I will be moving to El Paso TX from Little Rock AR towards the end of summer. Can anybody in the area give me any tips/advice.
  • May 28, 2014 8:22 AM PDT
    Well THE MOST important thing is.........If you can't speak Spanish, then you are OUT OF LUCK!
    Might take a quick lesson
    Stay Safe
    Night Dragon
  • May 28, 2014 11:43 AM PDT
    Unfortunately, Nitedraggon is correct! I'm taking it as Air Force and you have no choice in the move...? If so, Thank you for your service. Stay away from the border. If you like dual sport motorcycling you are heading to some great riding. Put in for a transfer as quick as possible!!!!!!!!!
    • 19007 posts
    May 29, 2014 1:37 AM PDT
    Not one to argue but I live 7 miles from the Mexico border in SW Texas, I speak very little Spanish and I get along very well. I do agree it would be helpful though. The desert area are great if you can handle it. Not for everyone. Summers are Brutal but winters are mild. ElPaso is about 300 miles from me and I only go there occasionally when I need some civilization services. From one retired military to you, an active military, all assignments have their ups, and downs. It is what we learn(ed) to do with them. Best of luck Friend!
  • May 29, 2014 3:26 AM PDT
    Thanks guys. I was stationed in Tucson for 6 years so I'm used to the whole spanish language barrier thing. I actually requested the move because I love the south west. Its only a three year tour so not to big of a deal. Its better than being stationed back in Alaska.
  • May 29, 2014 6:52 AM PDT
    My wife (at the time) and I took a trip to Mexico, and we get into this cab, to go down town. She reminded me later......Just because you speak English with a Cheech and Chong accent doesn't mean they can understand you. I'm not married to that person anymore......no humor in her at all......LOL
    Night Dragon
  • May 29, 2014 11:46 AM PDT
    I travel thru El Paso about four times a year and all I can tell you is the 5 pm traffic is terrible but the mexican food is some of the best there is. An by all means possible stay out of Juarez Mexico.
    • 3006 posts
    June 1, 2014 4:06 PM PDT
    LOL crap if you were stationed in Tucson,El Paso should be a piece of cake.Spent a weekend down in Tucson in August one time,and the memory will never fade!!! I thought this is what hell must be like !!! 110 in the shade 120+ in the direct sun!!!
    Hope the move goes smoothly!!!