Secure your Bike at a Hotel

• 284 posts
    April 22, 2014 12:03 PM PDT
    I was wondering how everyone secures your bike when it is parked in a hotel or motel parking lot.

Years ago I knew folks who would take Cable lock systems.  The two eyes at each end and then run the cable thru the eye around a post or column and the other end they would put a heavy duty lock thru the eye and around the cable.

I have actually ridden my bike into the hotel room before and kept it inside all night.

So today does everyone lock their Bike to something at night at a hotel\\motel?

At home my is Garage Kept and doubtful anyone will cut the locks I have in place.

Thanks for your input...... 

• 5419 posts
    April 22, 2014 12:41 PM PDT
    I typically do the same and lock my bike to a pole at a motel. I try to check it out first and see if I can find a ground floor room with a pole right outside. Otherwise I will normally lock the bikes together if traveling with other bikes.
  • April 22, 2014 1:40 PM PDT
    I have a disc brake lock and I usually have a kryptonite bike cable run thru the frame and motor. Like Ron I try to stay on the first floor with the bike right in front of the door if possible.
    • 16795 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:12 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I typically do the same and lock my bike to a pole at a motel. I try to check it out first and see if I can find a ground floor room with a pole right outside. Otherwise I will normally lock the bikes together if traveling with other bikes.

Plus a remote motion alarm self powered and unnoticeable.

• 314 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:25 PM PDT
    I have a big cable, like wheels has
    • 1364 posts
    April 23, 2014 12:15 AM PDT
    On he road we get bottom floor hotel room, Lots of places let us park right in front of or room on the walkway, We lock the forks, ignition switch, rotor lock and I also have lo jack. Mr Taurus .40 cal is alway on alert.
    • 19007 posts
    April 23, 2014 12:37 AM PDT
    Never out of earshot, always kryptonite cabled, always self sustainable alarm on. Two friends I frequently travel with have the same cable so we can link them together.
  • April 23, 2014 2:52 AM PDT
    Prayers and progressive insurance....
    • 846 posts
    April 23, 2014 4:13 AM PDT
    Ground floor in Motels, Disk lock with motion alarm.
  • April 23, 2014 4:32 AM PDT
    90% of the time I bring it in the room with me....
    • 284 posts
    April 23, 2014 8:27 PM PDT
    Thanks for the input, seems like nothin has changed over the years, except for the motion sensor alarm.

Keep the ideas flowin.

Thanks again. 
  • April 24, 2014 1:02 AM PDT
    I lock the ignition, and the forks. Carry nothing else and have never had a problem. Been all over the country on a bike never had to worry about security.
    • 2 posts
    April 24, 2014 1:58 AM PDT
    Fork lock ,Cable lock through fork and frame and 357 Magnum.
    • 1855 posts
    April 24, 2014 5:13 AM PDT
    I use a couple of rotor locks and I park in front of the office door under the canopy of the hotel until they tell me I "can't"
    • 5419 posts
    April 24, 2014 5:19 AM PDT
    If I can't park by my room, like in the places that have halls and interior room entrance, I will lock it to a pole right outside the office. I normally tell the person working graveyard at the front desk to keep an eye on it and give him a couple beers!
  • April 24, 2014 11:25 AM PDT
    The neatest thing I ever had happen when asking the motel owner about secure area for bike parking he opened up both front doors and said park IN The Lobby ;-) Pretty cool, seeing as I don't own a high dollar bike !!!
    • 3006 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:23 PM PDT
    Ground floor & the ride is visible from the unit,otherwise fork lock & leave her in the lot hopefully in a well lit area near the front office,I come out n check before sleeping.Never had a problem,yet the places I stayed were fairly out of the way.Plus my Honda is not a high ticket item.Also I carry a full cover for the ride and make sure its covered up and locked on the bottom with a heavy padlock.
    Recently someone did attempt to remove one of my leather saddlebags.It is well secured to the brackets so they gave up it looked like, or were out of time to rip it off I figure.
    • 2 posts
    April 29, 2014 5:37 AM PDT
    When checking in get a room ground floor so I can park the bike right outside the window. Cable lock wrapped through front and rear wheel and to a pole if possible. Cover the bike so you actually have to come over and pull the cover off to see what it is. No need to advertise what is there.
    • 844 posts
    May 1, 2014 1:50 PM PDT
    Same as pretty much everyone else. Get a room I can prk outside of and chain it to a pole. Other than that I have really good insurance on it.
  • May 15, 2014 1:10 AM PDT
    I remove the contents of my saddlebags (I use liners) and tool pouch. Also I lock the forks and use a disc lock. If I can't park it right outside my room, I ask the clerk if I can park it under the porch at the front entrance in view of the night clerk in the front office. There are some good ideas here about chaining it to a pole and covering it up.
  • May 18, 2014 10:48 AM PDT
    Mine is never out of my line of sight. If I can't get a ground floor room with parking right in front of the rooms window, i find somewhere else to sleep. Plus I always keep mine kryptonite cabled and disk locked, then covered and the cover locked down too. Aside from the alarm system on the bike, I also have my conceal carry permit.