Bifocals

• 314 posts
    April 8, 2014 12:03 AM PDT
    Anyone wear them? When you first started to wear them was it weird riding?
    • 9 posts
    April 8, 2014 12:29 AM PDT
    A little bit. But I had one advantage. My bottom lenses are clear. (Non-script). I know that won't always be the case, but til then, I'm good with it. It takes a few to get used to, so get comfortable. (Especially in city travel).
    If you've only just started wearin' the glasses, use extra caution. They're "weird" in everyday life, for a minute...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 57 posts
    April 8, 2014 12:38 AM PDT
    I started wearing Bifocals long before I started riding but they can be difficult to get used to,at first it gave me the sensation of motion sickness and took a little time to get comfortable wearing them all day,Good Luck Be Safe
    • 314 posts
    April 8, 2014 12:48 AM PDT
    With in 5 min of having them on i was qweezy. Looks like everything is leaning down to the right.
    • 57 posts
    April 8, 2014 1:00 AM PDT
    Try moving your head more and your eyes less, concentrate on what part of the lens you are using,it sounds like a pain but it helped me,slow your eye movement,sounds easy right
    • 314 posts
    April 8, 2014 1:22 AM PDT
    I think that does make sense, thanks
    • 1855 posts
    April 8, 2014 2:09 AM PDT
    I've worn 'em before. I've never used them with my riding glasses. Don't seem a need to do so. But they do come in handy on my other pair, which I have to get upgraded. I remember when I first got them years ago. For 3 months they were a pain in the ass. I told the doc there was something wrong because it shouldn't take 3 months to get use to them. I told him he needed to check 'em out and I needed another pair made. He said I didn't need another pair and he was an ahole about it. So, being the jackass I can be, I stepped on them right in his office and said, "Now, I need another pair of glasses but I think I'll get 'em some other places. I did and they worked fine.

Peace
  • April 8, 2014 2:13 AM PDT
    Mine gave me depth perception problems at first.My eye doc is also a rider and I called and he told me the best thing I could do is wear them first thing in the morning till bedtime everyday until my eyes adjusted.They might nerd to look at them and check to see if the placement of the bifold insert is in the right place.
    • 1364 posts
    April 8, 2014 2:14 AM PDT
    I wear them for day use, My riding glasses do not have the bifocals, It was recommended to me NOT to ride with them.
  • April 8, 2014 2:15 AM PDT
    Need not nerd
    • 846 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:38 AM PDT
    The bifocals were a quick adjustment. Its the trifocals (dam getting older) that took more then a while to adjust to. The biggest problem was going down stairs. Riding I don't have problems with unless there are stairs. I can see the gauges now.
  • April 8, 2014 5:14 AM PDT
    Chaz wrote...
    The bifocals were a quick adjustment. Its the trifocals (dam getting older) that took more then a while to adjust to. The biggest problem was going down stairs. Riding I don't have problems with unless there are stairs. I can see the gauges now.

Ditto.  Been wearing them for some 30+ years, stairs are still a problem. LOL

Jon

• 1 posts
    April 11, 2014 12:42 PM PDT
    I started with reading glasses in my early 40's and for the last 5 years I have bifocals and still not used to them completely. It seems like when I get into tight places to work, like under the kitchen sink or places where I have too many focal points. Heck even sweeping the floor makes me about half sick. I guess my eyes gets twisted up trying focus between the bifocals area and the non bifocal area of the glasses and then it is on, I get sicker than dawg. Hell, I even have bifocal sunglasses for when I ride, can't see the dam speed odometer or instruments. Like Chaz says "Dam getting older"

Well, Paula good luck with your new glasses, eventually you get used to them, hopefully better than me.
    • 314 posts
    April 11, 2014 11:22 PM PDT
    I have adjusted well i guess, hoping to get out for a ride today so we will see how it goes
  • April 12, 2014 11:23 AM PDT
    Yeah...for the past couple of years those bi-folkals have been coming out of the closet....every time you turn on the sports...! oh wait.....your talking about glasses.

Sorry
    • 81 posts
    April 12, 2014 12:18 PM PDT
    I started with the progressives and it took me a few days to get used to them. No problems with riding. My safety glasses for work have the lined bifocal and I just can't get used to those. The line distracts me too much.
  • April 15, 2014 11:15 AM PDT
    I finally admitted last year that I was blind as a bat and bought me some progressive shaded glasses with the bifocal lenses at the bottom. Quite frankly I had to learn how to ride again because I could now see everything that before I had missed. I do wear a pair of clear glasses at night because the progressive lenses tended to be a little dark even when they were clear.
  • April 18, 2014 2:21 AM PDT
    I wear reading bifocals, but I can tell over the years that the time is approaching when I'll have to trade in the shades I wear for permanent bifocals on the bike and under the helmet. Thanks for the post and comments because I'll be there soon enough.
    • 284 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:45 AM PDT
    I bought big lenses and had the Bifocal part cut very low at the bottom.  I do not use them that much.

That helped, with the big lenses, with no motion sickness since when I look down I do not hit the Bifocal part, just the same strength lens.

I also wear contacts that are one strength.  Bring me back to normal vision, except for reading, so I can put in the contacts and ride all day, see the signs crisp and clear and only have to pull out my glasses to read and then it is really big magnification which with some menus makes it very nice.

And not having to wear prescription sunglasses I can buy the cheap kind and not worry about scratchin a $120 pair of shades.

• 314 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:18 PM PDT
    When i told people that i was getting bifocals i was told i was going to trip going down stairs, that i was going to trip over my own feet and that it would take a couple weeks to get use to them. Other than the queasiness i had it has been fine, guess i just forgot about them. :-)

• 57 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:37 PM PDT
    Glad to hear you are not falling down,That Hurts! :{
    • 314 posts
    April 23, 2014 12:10 AM PDT