I want

• 1855 posts
    March 13, 2014 8:46 AM PDT

To find me another shovel head......1980, 81, 82....FXE, FXR, FXDWG  In my search I've discovered that those I find for sale seemingly are made of gold and owned by people who haven't ridden the damn thing in years and have no idea that their bike isn't what they claim it to be.  Putting 5 grand in your bike doesn't make your old shovelhead worth 5 grand more.  What makes your old shovel head worth anything at all is that you still ride it (maybe not your daily ride), know how to fix it, keep it in running condition, and really don't want to part with it.  If that's the case I'll consider your asking price and then we'll go from there.  I love mine so I understand the sentiment.

Ah you caught me.  You see right through me don't you!  I want a helluva deal. Nope.  I've got nothing to trade; just cash and not much of that.  Unless of course you can come up with a 1956 F-100 Ford truck you'd be willing to trade for my 2005 F-250; a beautiful truck that runs on lots of money and serves no practical purpose in my life.  I mean, it's sort of like a Jeep Wrangler, more a status thing than practical. My buddy ooo's and ahhs over it and says, "Man that's what I want."   Not bad enough though.  He won't deal with me on his old shovel head.  LOL   

Really I want a shovel head and I'm going to make a mission this year to find just the right one; meaning one I don't need to fix.  So, if someone whispers in your ear just say you "know a guy".

Peace

• March 13, 2014 1:37 PM PDT
    it's just something about a shovel, then it becomes supply and demand
    • 2 posts
    March 13, 2014 2:10 PM PDT
    Appreciate your honesty and humor and will forgo my usual "Wish for a pony while you are at it, you might get the pony".

Best wishes on your search you have a tall hill to climb.
    • 1855 posts
    March 13, 2014 2:24 PM PDT
    Thanks guys. Just had to add some humor to it.

Peace
  • March 14, 2014 2:43 PM PDT
    There is a couple in craigslist los Angeles but I went to look at one and it wasn't exactly like the picture, every nut and bolt was rounded off, the steering stem was hacked and rewelded by drunk pigeons, the wiring looked like some meth head tweeked on it for about a year, and he only wanted 6k
    • 5419 posts
    March 14, 2014 2:52 PM PDT
    Damn internet and all these TV shows on old cars and bikes have made everyone think what they have is worth money... whether it is or not. Years ago you could pick up old cars and bikes for a good deal because to a lot of the owners they were just old and sitting around. Now they see these online auctions and shows like Pawn Stars paying big bucks for certain rare ones and everyone thinks just because theirs is old, it is rare and valuable!

Keep looking and I am sure you will find the deal you are looking for!
  • March 14, 2014 3:27 PM PDT
    Ain't no kiddin Lucky. I remember American Pickers found a bike in pieces The tank said AMF Harley they took it to some guy that told them it was the fist Harley ever built. Paid them like 10K for a few crappy parts LOL what a joke I've had a few things they found and Not worth a fraction of what they said
  • March 16, 2014 3:04 AM PDT
    I would love to have a 74 74 FL......

Just Trippin my ass off!
    • 1855 posts
    March 16, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
    I'm maybe going to bid on an '83 shovel on Ebay. The seller lives just 40 miles south of me. It said that he welcomes anyone to look at the bike. I've emailed him, messaged him on Ebay, gave him my phone #, and I get no response. Kind of pissing me off a bit. Well not "kind of". It REALLY PISSES ME OFF. I'll stop now before I result to name calling that damn pin Richard.

• March 16, 2014 4:45 AM PDT
    Cool
    • 1855 posts
    March 16, 2014 11:33 AM PDT
    O.K. the guy did back in touch with me. And I've looked at so many bikes on line that I was wrong about it being an '83. It's actually a '79 FXE Super Glide and I have to say that it IS in pretty nice shape. A few electrical issues but I've never owned a shovel that didn't one electrical issue. None of which is really all that serious. Once we got by the electrical and I got it started, it ran real nice. It just sat there and barumped, barumped, barumped like it was suppose to. I got to let it idle for about 25 minutes and it never puffed a bit of smoke. I wanted to go for a ride but it's like 18 degrees and my back ain't heeled just yes. I got my woody on though (oops sorry).

I'm not so sure I can get this bike for what I can afford to pay. Well hell, I'm lying. I can afford to pay what it is worth and it should go IMHO close to 7 grand; but now I'm feeling a bit selfish. Gypsy won't say a thing regardless but damn man, she never asks for anything and I'll get her anything she'd like to have. We DID talk about it on the way home "What do you think baby?". And all she said was, "What are you going to do with it?" LOL O.K., a legitimate question coming from the lady of the house who knew absolutely nothing about the lifestyle until she met me ;and all I could really say was, "Ride it". In the end she'll say nothing and would never be p.o.'d at me for buying it. It's that damn question of hers that bothers me. I didn't want her to ask that. I wanted her to "understand" the biker acquisition syndrome. It's a sickness. A need. How many bikes DO we need? One? Hell no!!!! LOL

Peace
    • 1 posts
    March 16, 2014 11:11 PM PDT
    Love my old shovels but no they are not for sale. I do appreciate the comment about keep them running, I still love to tear into her and find her little kinks and quirks. Shovel head problems: Exhaust leaks, they only have the one nut holding on the front to the heads. Always having to adjust the valves, about every 20,000. Or at least on my 80. Hope you close the deal and have many good days riding her. Oh and she will understand when she hops on the thing, nothing sounds like a shovel.
    Also in my house the shovels have been there the longest there for they get any and every thing they want first. Okay who am I fooling our bikes are spoiled and they get every thing they want.
    • 1855 posts
    March 17, 2014 7:57 AM PDT
    Ahhhh what the hell. I placed my bid. uhhhhhhhhhh, got a couple guitars for sale now. LOL

Peace
    • 8 posts
    November 28, 2016 10:06 AM PST

I have abuild your own Shovelhead,  1981 Fl mill ballanced, new valves pistions and clear tilte has not been run, trans and rolling frame 

• 58 posts
    November 28, 2016 5:25 PM PST

I know what you mean Jimmy.  I have had a build in the back of my mind for close to 20 years wanting to come to fruition and all the wife can say is "But you have a bike already!"  Aahh well.   Maybe once she, my wife, gets comfortable enough on her own bike she will come to understand....

• 19007 posts
    November 29, 2016 5:51 AM PST

ME too....been searching for a mid 80's CJ7. So many out there and everyone wants well over 5K if it just runs...If it is restored and too pretty to play in the desert that are well up into the 20-30K range. I started this search looking for a CJ2 or CJ3----WOW forget them....up to 8K if they don't run...BUT me thinks I found one sitting under a shed here in the desert and maybe the owner is realistic. 

• 19007 posts
    November 29, 2016 6:27 AM PST

In case you think I'm exaggerating....and the two listed for under 2K one is almost 5K, and the other is now over 6K