June 2014 Meet & Greet Near Deals Gap and The Devils Triangl

• February 22, 2014 10:42 AM PST
    Hey everyone!

I started a topic asking basic questions about an area the Wife and I wanted to ride to (http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/topic/8/index/157910/2#160081) and it seems a lot of folks think the area would be a great spot for a Cycle Fish Meet and Greet. With all that said, I have started this topic to see if we can generate some interest in getting a group together.

My wife and I are going to ride up to Maggie Valley N.C. from near New Orleans Louisiana, arriving on June 8th 2014. We plan on spending at least one week in the Maggie Valley area. It really looks to be a great place for a motorcycle vacation.  Here is a decent link about the area if you are not familiar (http://www.visitmaggie.com/videos.htm) and it seems like the Highland Smokehouse http://highlandsrestaurantgroup.net/ could be a good spot for the Meet and Greet and a ride through the mountains afterwards.

At this point, nothing is set in stone. I'm open to ideas, and places to have this in the area. All ideas welcome, and encouraged.

So, who's in? C'mon, how do you beat riding in the Smoky Mountains, hot BBQ and new friends?

Hope to see a lot of you coming!

Dave.
  • February 22, 2014 11:04 AM PST
    I'm in just let me know when, and I will be there!
    Night Dragon
  • March 4, 2014 9:11 AM PST
    Wow.......after all the comments on my origional post for a meet and greet I am surprised to hear these cricketts chirping!
    • 57 posts
    March 4, 2014 12:33 PM PST
    Don't get discouraged Dave keep the topic going and you may get some interest,
    My wife and family are heading to Gulf Shore Al.the end of May and have plans
    For the obx of NC the beginning of October and coming back to Illinois through
    Maggie Valley mid October, Have a great trip ride safe
  • March 4, 2014 8:13 PM PST
    Not discouraged Hunter. I still think it would be great to get a group together in the area.
    • 11 posts
    March 4, 2014 11:12 PM PST
    TallDave,
    I know the area & would love to attend a Meet/Greet there. However, the meet/greet is all that I can do as I have no bike. I'm open to riding on pillion of someone whom I can find out is very safe. The Boone, NC bike rally (the one I most commonly attend, it is really close to me) is the last weekend of May & The Hot Springs, NC rally is only 2 weekends after this Meet/Greet that you want to hold on June 8th
    • 57 posts
    March 5, 2014 6:20 AM PST
    I think it sounds like a great idea too just wish I didn't have plans for that date already,it would be fun to meet some of the C/F group,if you get enough interest maybe we could take the long way home a few days early,this is an amazing area,Karen if Im ever in N/C with a open back seat  I would be Happy to invite you to ride along,locals know the best routes and places to visit,hope the new place works out for you
    • 1855 posts
    March 5, 2014 7:29 AM PST
    I'm sure we'll be in the area at some point this year. I just don't know when. We have a plan to go to the Grand Canyon heading that way near the end of April or first of May.. We have to be in Gettysburg, Pa. on July 15th. It just might be that our return from GC will be in June with a stop in Alabama. Heading north from there just might see us in N. Carolina. Your idea; pick a place to meet/gather, etc. and we'll go from there.
    Peace
    • 11 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:30 AM PST
    @ Hunter55; Thanks Rich
  • March 6, 2014 3:28 AM PST
    OK. Seems like things are picking up. I'll ask everyone who is Locaql to the area to make some suggestions as to a place to meet where we can all have some room and a decent meal.
  • March 6, 2014 6:47 AM PST
    I may be in for the meet......June 8th is on a Sun. If the meeting is the following Sat. I'm thinking if it is then I could ride in Sat. the 14th and stay over then ride home the 15th so i'm not missing any work. Just keep us updated with a date, time and place please. Thanks TallDave
  • March 6, 2014 10:17 AM PST
    CallBack wrote...
    I may be in for the meet......June 8th is on a Sun. If the meeting is the following Sat. I'm thinking if it is then I could ride in Sat. the 14th and stay over then ride home the 15th so i'm not missing any work. Just keep us updated with a date, time and place please. Thanks TallDave

GOOD DEAL MAN! It's gonna be a blast! Hey, check your PM.
    • 11 posts
    March 6, 2014 12:56 PM PST
    I'll try to get out that way & check some things out. Keep in mind that a large bike rally is happening in Maggie Valley the weekend of June 13th-15th
  • March 6, 2014 11:23 PM PST
    tanzanitediamond do you have any info about the rally that you could post a link on here?
    • 11 posts
    March 6, 2014 11:30 PM PST
    @ TallDave,
    Seems like the Luxury Inn in Maryville, TN would meet the requisites that you mentioned. It is beside the Foothills mall. Here is what I copied about the mall from the Luxury Inn site"
    Foothills Mall:
    "Located within walking distance to the hotel, this mall offers a great variety of retail shops and restaurants. A liquor store and movie theater are located next door to the mall"

Maryville is pretty much in between the southeast end of the Devil's Triangle and the North end of Tail of Dragon. It is 25 min. south of downtown Knoxville & it is 20 min. From Townsend, TN which is an entrance into the Great Smoky Park, too.
    More secluded/out of the way places would be the Bobarosa Saloon in DelRio, TN. about 45 from Knoxville, TN & on a beautiful section of the French Broad River. It is combination biker campground w/ tent sites, cabins, RV rentals, small motel, Bathrooms for the tenters are kinda crappy. Has 2 stages, great bar with decent food, I don't think it serves any breakfast or lunch. I've only visited there in late afternoon & evening time. I was primitive  camping in nearby Hot Springs
    • 11 posts
    March 6, 2014 11:34 PM PST
    @ Callback: If you click on Events up there at top of page; a drop down will come up, put in North Carolina & you'll see info about the rallies in May & June in the Maggie Valley area, and of course, in fact, all over the state and for all of spring, summer & fall. A really great & smaller scale one is the Boone one at end of May.
  • March 7, 2014 3:56 AM PST
    OK, so here's the deal. Some one suggested a place in Pigion Forge to hold the Meet and greet at.
    http://ironboarsaloon.com/ If there are no objections, or better recomendations over the coming weekend I will start setting things up for there.

Dave.
    • 11 posts
    March 7, 2014 4:11 AM PST
    Sounds good to me & It is on a very busy stretch of Main St, there in Pigeon Forge. Looking forward to meeting folks! Thanks & Way to Go TallDave!
  • March 7, 2014 4:53 AM PST
    Sounds good. If the plan is to ride the Dragon, Its nice to hit the Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson in Maryville. TallDave keep us posted. Depending on the ride that is planned for that day I will get a room there. If the end of the day is at the Iron Boar Saloon will get one around there. LOOK FORWARD TO THE GREAT TIME.
    • 44 posts
    March 7, 2014 6:18 AM PST
    Sounds good to me try to make it
    • 1855 posts
    March 7, 2014 7:56 AM PST
    Maryville is too congested IMHO. Since none of us really know the exact time we'll be there I think it best to meet up where TallDave is planning on staying. If we're not all together at the same time we can leave messages with the hotel, campground, etc.

Dave needs to give us more information as to how he plans to get to the area anyway. His he coming from the north and going to Maggie Valley area to stay or what? There are great motels in Maggie Valley or Robbinsville or Fontaine, accessible to all the places he wants to check out. But the meet should be where he plans on staying. FWIW

Peace
  • March 7, 2014 8:02 AM PST
    I think the same.
  • March 7, 2014 10:55 AM PST
    @ callback & @ Jimmyacorn. I am Riding North on 59 to Chattanoga, from there I can either go north of the Park towards Gatlinburg on 75 or stay on the south side stay on the south side and head towards Cherokee. Planning on arriving on June 8th. It seems my reservation in Maggie Valley has shot craps on me, so I'm looking for a place to stay again.
  • March 9, 2014 10:30 AM PDT
    I live there, let me know if I can help you with anything. You HAVE to go to Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum. And if you haven't already booked a hotel, book your stay at Smoky Falls Lodge. It's very motorcycle friendly. I can tell you about the great rides around here, where to eat and so on. Let me know if I can help.
    Bobarosa's is a great place to go, not far from MV. It's in Del Rio TN. take 209 to 70/25, great road. And there is a great bar at Lake Lure, don't remember the bar name but it's a great stop just outside of Bat Cave, NC.
  • March 9, 2014 10:34 AM PDT
    BTW, I have 50+ bikers coming in the weekend before your coming and staying at Smoky Falls Lodge. Do it every year.