Turning off your motorcycle

• 1855 posts
    January 26, 2014 3:52 AM PST
    Do you put the bike in neutral first?  I do automatically every time.

Do you use the kill (on/off) switch and then turn off the ignition on the dash? I don't.
                             OR
    Do you NOT use the kill switch but simply turn off the ignition on the dash? I do. 

Using the kill switch and the ignition switch to turn off the bike is kind of a jinx thing for me.  I believe it is unnecessary wear on the kill switch, decreasing the life expectancy.  And since I have to turn off the ignition on the dash anyway there's no need to mess with the kill switch.  And, the ignition switch is a helluva lot easier to fix/replace than the kill switch.

On my shovel head?  Same scenario except that like Aquadave, I shut off the gas.

• January 26, 2014 4:07 AM PST
    I only use neutral to start but every time to start, I have no neutral light I do the rocky back and forth thing. Hell I can't find neutral once it's cranked and I keep it in gear in case I need to make a quick move. Only used my kill switch once, that's when my foot slipped and it was going down. My ignition is under the tank and right next to the gas petcock turn that gas off LOL
    • 5419 posts
    January 26, 2014 5:27 AM PST
    I always leave my bike in first out of habit. I have a VERY slanted driveway and if I leave the bike in neutral it will actually roll back and slide the kickstand... so I just leave it in first every time I stop. I do sometimes use the kill switch but I am trying to get out of that habit because I have left the ignition on a few times in the garage and killed the battery.
    • 81 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:09 AM PST
    Most of the time I use the kill switch and, usually leave it in gear till I start it.
    • 1 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:30 AM PST
    mtncrash1 wrote...
    Most of the time I use the kill switch and, usually leave it in gear till I start it.

• 1855 posts
    January 26, 2014 7:18 AM PST
    Amendment #1: Depending on how the bike is setting I will at times leave it in first gear. I also put a break caliper lock on the bike always. Having done that occasionally in the past I've actually forgotten when I used the lock; a very embarrassing moment follows. LOL

Oh Dave, neutral light or not, it's always a pain to get that old shovel into neutral isn't it.

Peace
  • January 26, 2014 10:39 AM PST
    Mostlt when I come home and pull into my normal parking place,I will kill it then shift to neutral.Rarely will I hit the kill button unless I'm in a heavy bike parking lot and about to back in to a tight parking spot most times I will shift to neutral then hit the kill button then once in my spot turn off my key and return the kill button back to run.
    • 2 posts
    January 26, 2014 11:07 AM PST
    When I find something that works I stay with it.

Saw a Goldwing get very expensive damage because the operator left it in neutral then got back on. Not much of a slope but enough of one. I leave my ride in first until I'm ready to start it and have a foot on the brake.

Use the kill switch because I can shut things down without taking my hand from the bar.
    • 57 posts
    January 26, 2014 1:37 PM PST
    Not really sure why but the Newer Harley manuals have a specific way they want the Bikes started and stopped,something to do with electric fuel pump,I park it in gear and start in neutral
  • January 26, 2014 8:03 PM PST
    I do not use the kill switch to shut down the bike, and I always park and start in neutral. Hey, just the way I do it. I try to always do things the same way.
    • 19007 posts
    January 26, 2014 8:56 PM PST
    No Kill Switch. Neutral if flat enough. Shut fuel off on older bikes but not so for Rex (04 carb'd King).
  • January 27, 2014 1:02 AM PST
    Did want to say my riding partner that always shifts to neutral while parking out of habit quickly found themselves in trouble stopped on a hill trying to snap a quick picture of the view .It all went well until shortly before they got back on the bike that was parked on a steep shoulder as well as the sharp grade.The really sad preventable part was the two Gold Wings that stopped going up the hill did the same thing parking in neutral,meaning in less than five minutes three bikes out of four decided to take a nap on the shoulder of the roadway.Needless to say all the men wanted to go knock the only lady riders bike on its side,because I was trying hard to refrain from a good chuckle........
  • January 27, 2014 1:14 AM PST
    I always turn my scoot off with the ignition switch. I like to leave it in neutral but, try to be aware of the slant or grade of where I am parking. I have the same parking spot in the garage, so I put it in neutral and turn the ignition switch off.
    • 2685 posts
    January 27, 2014 1:23 AM PST
    No kill switch, always use the key. Always put it in neutral as well, if I"m sitting still and in gear I can't shift for some reason so neutral is the way to go for me.
    • 846 posts
    January 27, 2014 8:01 AM PST
    When stopped for parking the bike goes into Neutral (unless there a slant or hill, to old to get fooled by that) and it helps when I need to back it into the garage (bottom of slight hill). Always kill the engine with the dash switch, unless I'm some were I don't fully trust and as a extra step I hit the kill switch and other locking precautions.
  • January 27, 2014 2:58 PM PST
    Snap it into neutral, turn the key off. (after reaching for the non-existent petcock......the ONLY drawback to EFI LOL) I never leave it in gear, or use the kill switch. Both toss backs from many years of running a chopper with no neutral light, and no kill switch.
    • 284 posts
    January 28, 2014 12:25 AM PST
    Keep the bike in Neutral. I have to back the bike into the garage and since it is flat do not have to worry about it moving. When I crank it I can just stand on the horn side, turn the key on and adjust the choke. Since all my gear is on that side of the bike. Then get dressed up and off we go.

Use the key off, Gas off, then I get off. I used the kill switch one time and spent some time cursing the day it was made when I could not start it the next day.

Yea my habits are from old Panhead Day.
    • 834 posts
    January 29, 2014 7:45 AM PST
    I just leave it in gear and hit the kill switch. Then I reach down and turn of ignition.