NC Newbie

• 70 posts
    January 20, 2014 11:41 PM PST
    Hi Ya'll! I live in North Carolina and I have been riding my bike off and on now for several months. I got her in Sept of ' 12.  I have rode as a passenger on various bikes, but I recently got tired of just being one. I wanted to enjoy the experience of being one with the wild and not just see the back of my boyfriends head! lol

The only thing that hinders me at the moment is the weather (too cold or rainy) and I am still a little fearful.  I have laid my bike down due to slipping in massive dirt, leaves, or gravel.  I was anxious to ride in the beginning and got right on the road after learning for a day or two. I want to make sure that I go back now and learn counter steering, riding slowly, and hopefully build my confidence up

• 5417 posts
    January 21, 2014 1:22 AM PST
    Welcome Amy from over here in CA. Been down in NC quite a bit (my son used to live in Maggie Valley) and you certainly have some great riding down your way. Sounds like you are enjoying riding your own now, and glad to hear you take the side of caution while gaining riding experience.

Ride Safe and Enjoy!!!
  • January 21, 2014 1:23 AM PST
    Welcome from Faith, NC. Hang in there, you'll get past the fear, just don't lose the respect for the bike. pretty soon riding will become second nature. A lot of us (most) have dropped their bike at one time or another, so there ain't no shame in that. Congrats on getting your own bike, the confidence will come.
    • 70 posts
    January 21, 2014 1:59 AM PST
    Thanks yall! I really love it. I love riding as much as playing music!
  • January 21, 2014 4:01 AM PST
    welcome from oregon
    • 3006 posts
    January 21, 2014 4:50 AM PST
    Welcome to the best motorcycle board on the web.

Its good to be cautious,and even the most experienced riders have difficulty handling wet leaves n gravel on the road ,..recently I nearly laid mine down two weeks ago in some gravel on a sharp turn,my bad cause I forgot to stay alert for that sort of stuff since the weather has been so clear.

Stay Safe & Enjoy the Ride
    • 70 posts
    January 21, 2014 5:03 AM PST
    Thanks for the support and advice!
  • January 22, 2014 3:23 PM PST
    This is a very cool site. Im going to go to a lot of bike functions this year. This site will help me do it.
    • 16795 posts
    January 22, 2014 3:42 PM PST
    Hello to the new folks from the Pennsylvania shores of Lake Erie.
    • 19004 posts
    January 22, 2014 11:24 PM PST
    Welcome from the 'at large' member (currently in Terlingua, TX) to the best damn biker site/family on this here web thing.
    • 70 posts
    January 22, 2014 11:38 PM PST
    Thx Rex:P
    • 846 posts
    January 23, 2014 7:05 AM PST
    Weclome and hello from the Northeast corner (Massachusetts). The winter is the toughest part of riding. No riding for four months (for me) but spring will be here soon. Keep up the want to ride your own. None of us start off with out a drop here and there. The important part is to know why it happened (and it sounds like you do) and learn from it. Keep it up and you'll be comfortable before you know it.
    It's an on going learning experience riding is.
    • 284 posts
    January 23, 2014 7:44 PM PST
    Welcome from Coastal Ga.
  • January 23, 2014 11:36 PM PST
    Welcome from a NC boy living in NJ (don't ask).....respect the bike and ride as much as you can.
    • 70 posts
    January 23, 2014 11:53 PM PST
    LOL @mac.. I plan on it!!
  • January 24, 2014 3:25 PM PST
    I was taught to look at where you want to go. Don't look at the ground. You'll be fine. Ive been riding for only 2 years but I ride everyday (weather permitting).
  • January 25, 2014 10:12 AM PST
    Welcome from Texas and another lady rider.Tell us about your bike and if you picked it or it picked you! Seems like I've yet to pick a bike yet somehow they have bonded to me ? The more you ride the more natural or second nature it will become.My early days riding I always tried to start out fresh before I got focused on other daily happenings,after that intial period I would go out different times of day to different areas with different traffic flow patterns.I guess you would say I challenged myself on each outing.Think I had a tad over 1000 miles in less than three weeks and at that my husband realized he wouldn't be having a familiar backrest ;-)
  • January 25, 2014 12:49 PM PST
    Welcome! I'm from NC too! Jacksonville. You will be fine. Take your time and respect the power of the bike.
  • January 25, 2014 1:59 PM PST
    WA state checking in to wish you a warm welcome!
    • 1855 posts
    January 26, 2014 3:29 AM PST
    Welcome from w central Ohio. We just love riding in N. Carolina.  A year doesn't go by that we don't make at least one trip there.
     photo 101_0411.jpg
  • January 26, 2014 3:38 AM PST
    I LIVE IN THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA, SOME OF THE BEST RIDING ROADS SOUTHEAST OF MONTANA.
    • 1855 posts
    January 26, 2014 3:59 AM PST
    Timetraveler wrote...
    I LIVE IN THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA, SOME OF THE BEST RIDING ROADS SOUTHEAST OF MONTANA.

The Black Hills have nothing over the Blue Ridge and the Smokey Mountains.  There's a great deal of hype about Spearfish Canyon in S. Dakota because it's all the Black Hills have to offer. Of course Montana and Wyoming are quite different.  Absolutely, most assuredly breath taking.  And there's wonder around every turn and in every valley in the Carolina's and Tennessee.

• 70 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:31 AM PST
    Sounds really great! I love riding the mountains.. love the peace on the mountain tops.