Motorcycle tire repair

• 1855 posts
    November 21, 2013 1:43 AM PST
    Anyone know of, have used, do use a specific tire repair kit for when you're out in the middle of nowhere?

Peace
    • 5419 posts
    November 21, 2013 2:06 AM PST
    I carry and have used a number of times the Slime Deluxe Tire Repair Kit - I think I got it at Auto Zone or Pep Boys.  works great and I have run a few hundred miles a plug in.  However you will also need to carry something to inflate the tire once repaired.  I have a C02 Inflator I got from a vendor at some show but it is similar to this one... http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Bike-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B007L31L66. ; Always carry extra C02, I have found that sometimes it takes a couple of cartridges to fill the tire.

I also carry a can of fix a flat.  There are times when you get a puncture and whatever punctured the tire is not stuck in the tire and you can't locate the leak to plug it.  If the leak is that small a can of fix a flat should get you somewhere to have the tire serviced.

And just a reminder to everyone who reads this... a plug or fix a flat are NOT a perminent fix!  Get to a service center as soon as possible and have the tire replaced or repaired professionally!
    • 1855 posts
    November 21, 2013 2:56 AM PST
    Thanks lucky. I've looked at the Slime product. Having ridden shovelheads for most of my days I just carried an extra tube as changing a tire back then was pretty simple. There's just too much dang work on doing that with the new bikes along side of the road. But I don't know what's taken me so long to consider a tire repair kit. I guess now that I'm truly free to travel and not in any hurry has a good deal to do with that. Thanks again.
    Peace
  • November 21, 2013 3:34 AM PST
    After getting a key thru my rear tire a couple of months ago that couldn't be repaired because it was a 1 inch slit in the tire, I now have this ... http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html ... haven't had a flat  since I put it in, so I don't know how effective it is, but from everything I've read it works wonders!

PS: I had the slime repair kit, 2 plugs did get me enough air to get a couple of miles to work, but wouldn't have done any good if I was in the middle of nowhere. I also have the mini compressor you can power from your battery, but that didn''t work at all ... good thing I was near a gas station!

• 5419 posts
    November 21, 2013 5:04 AM PST
    That is why I carry the C02 inflator with extra cartridges. 

Before I started carrying it I was on a group poker run and got a nail.  Another rider puller over and offered his plug kit.  It was easy to find the nail, pull it out and plug it up.  Then we both sat there staring at a tire with the hole all fixed but still no air in it. 

I think there are lots of people out there carrying plug kits and no way to fill the tire.
    Don't be one of them!!!

As for the compounds you put in your tire to "prevent flats", I have personally never been a real big fan of them.  Even though they save they don't throw off the tire balance, I can't see how just riding and depending on centrifugal force to randomly spread the compound to the walls can ensure it spreads evenly. 

Besides I would rather KNOW when I have a flat.  Even if it takes me a few minutes on the road-side to repair it, at least I know my tire is compromised and I need to get it changed.  With the compounds, you get a puncture and the goop immediately seals the leak.  We know that is not a permanent fix, and now you are riding on a compromised tire and don't even know it????  But I guess on the flip side if your tire doesn't go down from the puncture you do not have the safety concern of going flat at highway speed.  So you need to weigh the options and decide which is more comforting to you.
    • 5419 posts
    November 21, 2013 5:10 AM PST
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Thanks lucky. I've looked at the Slime product. Having ridden shovelheads for most of my days I just carried an extra tube as changing a tire back then was pretty simple. There's just too much dang work on doing that with the new bikes along side of the road. But I don't know what's taken me so long to consider a tire repair kit. I guess now that I'm truly free to travel and not in any hurry has a good deal to do with that. Thanks again.
    Peace

More reason to carry one if you are doing lots of long distance.  Besides, kind of like carrying rain gear to make sure it don't rain, if you havfe a tire repair kit, your chances of getting a flat go down

• 284 posts
    February 3, 2014 6:49 PM PST
    Wow you guys are full of Good Ideas. I learned a lot this a.m. 330 a.m. EST.

I am gonna get one of those CO2 things Lucky was talkin about.

Lucky Law of physics, if you put anything semi liquid into a centrifuge it will apply evenly around the outside of the container at a specific RPM. The more liquid the substance the, easier, more it will spread evenly at lower RPM. Unless it is subject to freezing. Then you are subject to a rough ride.

Same principle as those balance beads you put inside your tire.

So tire repair kit, co2 fill kit and a can of fix a flat (which unless they changed the formula has been known to catch fire)

Of course always have my HOG road side assistance card with me and cell phone.
  • February 4, 2014 6:28 AM PST
    I like the CO2 I have a tiny compressor plug kit and a small bottle of slime
  • March 15, 2014 12:49 AM PDT
    I carry a small compressor that I can plug in or connect to the battery, and I have plugs and have used them to get to a shop. The waxed rope plugs at your local auto supply work well also.

Trippin
  • May 16, 2014 3:24 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    That is why I carry the C02 inflator with extra cartridges. 

Before I started carrying it I was on a group poker run and got a nail.  Another rider puller over and offered his plug kit.  It was easy to find the nail, pull it out and plug it up.  Then we both sat there staring at a tire with the hole all fixed but still no air in it. 

I think there are lots of people out there carrying plug kits and no way to fill the tire.
    Don't be one of them!!!

As for the compounds you put in your tire to "prevent flats", I have personally never been a real big fan of them.  Even though they save they don't throw off the tire balance, I can't see how just riding and depending on centrifugal force to randomly spread the compound to the walls can ensure it spreads evenly. 

Besides I would rather KNOW when I have a flat.  Even if it takes me a few minutes on the road-side to repair it, at least I know my tire is compromised and I need to get it changed.  With the compounds, you get a puncture and the goop immediately seals the leak.  We know that is not a permanent fix, and now you are riding on a compromised tire and don't even know it????  But I guess on the flip side if your tire doesn't go down from the puncture you do not have the safety concern of going flat at highway speed.  So you need to weigh the options and decide which is more comforting to you.

Run with Ride-on tire sealant in rear tire for a year without any problem after a puncture. Was able to remove all wheel weight because the Ride-on did a good job of balancing the tire. While using tire sealant, you should check tire often. Good stuff.

• 844 posts
    May 16, 2014 3:49 PM PDT
    Wow, you knew your tire had a puncture and rode on it for a year, to me that is just plain crazy. Tires and brakes are the MOST IMPORTANT parts on the bike. Either one of them has the slightest issue I get it fixed immediately. Don't matter where I am or where I have to be, if I have a tire with any damage I get it repaired.

I am not going to tell you what choices are right for you, but I do recommend to anyone else reading this... NEVER, EVER, NEVER ride on a motorcycle with a tire that you know is damaged!!!
  • May 17, 2014 12:04 AM PDT
    GoFur wrote...
    Wow, you knew your tire had a puncture and rode on it for a year, to me that is just plain crazy. Tires and brakes are the MOST IMPORTANT parts on the bike. Either one of them has the slightest issue I get it fixed immediately. Don't matter where I am or where I have to be, if I have a tire with any damage I get it repaired.

I am not going to tell you what choices are right for you, but I do recommend to anyone else reading this... NEVER, EVER, NEVER ride on a motorcycle with a tire that you know is damaged!!!

+100 on the above statement...! Ride to the nearest bike shop and have it replaced...period! I've listened to so many folks coming into the shop and talking about tires..hell, some of them don't even check the air pressure before every ride. Guy came in yesterday on a CVO Dresser and had steel belts showing..... said he had no idea, couldn't see the tire due to the bag lowers and extensions...dude, get your ass on the ground and inspect your bike.
    • 5419 posts
    May 17, 2014 11:26 AM PDT
    GoFur wrote...

No doubt.  I would never ride on a tire comprimised in any way. Like GoFur said I would recommend no one else ever does either.

• May 17, 2014 10:13 PM PDT
    I cary a plug kit and a can of fix a flat for emerency situations. Then I ride to the nearest shop to get it fixed or repaired. I never thought about the CO2 inflators. I will have to pick one up to replace the fix a flat.