2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT ticking noise

• November 6, 2013 10:35 AM PST
    I have a little over 5000 miles on the bike...with no engine running and not in gear, when rolling the
    bike forward and backward, I hear a ticking noise.  While riding, noise becomes apparent when slowing down to 
    brake.  Any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance. 
    • 5420 posts
    November 6, 2013 10:50 AM PST
    Has it always done that or did it just start?
  • November 8, 2013 1:43 AM PST
    Lucky,
    Thanks for your quick respaonse....the noise just started.
    • 3006 posts
    November 11, 2013 7:22 AM PST
    wheel bearings? thats my first guess.and its just a guess based on what I have read on the boards.
  • November 11, 2013 11:20 AM PST
    Check the tension on your belt drive also check the belt for nicks from road debris. Next check the alignment of the rear tire. I would hesitate to think of the bearings being bad since you only have 5k miles. Check the rear sprocket to make sure it is tight. Check the brake rotors to make sure there true and not warped other than that I'm not sure what to suggest Good luck
    • 1 posts
    November 13, 2013 3:25 AM PST
    I don't work on Kawi's myself, but generally speaking it sounds like a belt or chain to tight or out of alignment like wheels said.

But with only 5000 miles in 5 years the wheel bearing could have gotten gunked up and now making noise
  • December 19, 2013 7:52 AM PST
    Well, "Wheels" and "Bailout", you guys were correct(Thank You!!) ...drive belt tension was to tight also the rear tire was out of spec for inflation. Just moved to Chandler, Az. and hooked up with a local shop "Turn Socket"...diagnosed and fixed the problem in less then 1 hour.......thanks Preston and staff....great job....back on the road again safely........Happy Holidays to all of the CYCLEFISH Family..........!!!!!!
    • 844 posts
    December 22, 2013 2:46 AM PST
    Good to hear you found the problem. Would have done some damage to the belt if you let it go. And ALWAYS check your tire pressure!