Google's Barges

• 1855 posts
    November 6, 2013 9:14 AM PST
    Anyone else find this whole "mysterious" thing a bit weird?  I mean, they show up on the east coast and on the west coast and NOBODY knows what's going on until days later.  I like conspiracy theories; a lot.  What d'ya think Google is really up to?  How much power ()technology) do they really possess?  Just a thought.  Reminds me of the movie "Independence Day".  Who ARE these creatures anyway?

• 844 posts
    November 6, 2013 9:41 AM PST
    Maybe google is the ultimate prepper and when the shit hits the fan they just float their operation out to see protected by google gun ships!!!
    • 16795 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:14 PM PST
    Maybe Google's Barges are like Manson's dune buggies.
    • 5419 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:51 PM PST
    Having worked closely with google over the years, I have spent a lot of time at their headquarters and nothing they could ever do would surprise me.

Now, I like a conspiracy as much as the next guy, but sorry to say this one is not that exciting.

The barges are actually interactive learning and technology exploration centers.  The intention was to keep the project a total secret using the intrigue and suspicion as part of the overall marketing plan.  However since the barges are floating, they are technically vessels and the Coast Guard and others had to be permitted to perform inspections which of course led to leeks as to their design.

The use of shipping containers is two fold.  First google is famous for using shipping type containers in their data centers for security and protection that could be easily transported.  So those in the tech world would easily associate the containers with google.  Second, sections of the centers can easily be switched from location to location since they are standard size shipping containers when disassembled.  From what I have heard and seen  the containers are cut open on ends and sides and put together to make large rooms (like portable clssrooms).  When they want to move an exhibition they seal the open sides, transport it and put it back together at the destination.

Here is a drawing made by one of the people who was allowed to inspect one of the barges...

• 5419 posts
    November 6, 2013 4:19 PM PST
    Jimmy, for your question how much power (technology) does google have... no one really knows... not even google.

One thing for sure is they know "EVERYTHING" that happens or is posted in the in internet - "ANYWHERE".  Here is a good example.  You started this post this just a few hours before my writing this.  I went to google and searched for a phrase from your post "I like conspiracy theories; a lot.  What d'ya think Google is really up to" and it is already indexed in google and points to this post.  Go ahead and try it (be sure to include the quotation marks around the text so google looks for that exact phrase).  Now how many things were posted on the internet today... probably billions of words and google has already spidered and indexed every one of them and the site they are posted on.

How much computer power does that take... more than the mind can conceive.  Best estimate is google has over one million web servers running in tens of thousands of locations around the world...just to power google.com, not to mention what else they may be doing.  And no one can even total up the amount of data storage they have. 

Now if google can parse through every single piece of text on the internet in milliseconds to find a phrase in a post on CycleFish, we can only imagine what else they are parsing through data for.  Just wait until google rolls out their cell phone and world wide internet services and has access to every single bit of communication????

Here is an interesting tidbit of info I read recently... .01% of the electricity generated in the US is used to power google computers and data centers.  They may have to take over the power companies soon too!
    • 1855 posts
    November 7, 2013 12:21 AM PST
    I think a google conspiracy theory is very exciting and quite deep personally. And yes, I do know they have info on everything posted anywhere, including personal information on millions of people. It's scary to me. What if I continue to post on different websites my conspiracy thoughts? What if, for some reason, Google sees that as threat to their "ulterior motives" if they do exist? Do you not believe that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Me Paranoid? I know you didn't call me that but I'll admit to it anyway. I've been paranoid ever since the development of Windows and I've always believed the internet, despite it's positive aspects, to be the most significant threat to the world since the atomic bomb. While the atomic age has had some truly amazing and positive affects in the world, it's still a threat to the free world depending upon who possesses nuclear capabilities. The power of Google in the wrong hands? The Great and Powerful Oz may not be so benevolent at the end of this yellow brick road. Just sayin'.

Peace

• 5419 posts
    November 7, 2013 1:40 AM PST
    No doubt Jimmy that anything can be used for good or evil, we only worry about it when it is a great bit of power like nuclear technology and now data.

I have been posting about google and their ultimate power and what they might and might not be doing with it for years and they haven't sent the hit squad yet, so I think your okay there.

I have believed for quite a while that although the internet has become one of the worlds greatest assets, our dependency of it has also become our biggest vulnerability.
    • 1855 posts
    November 7, 2013 6:56 AM PST

But I'm not really worried about their "hit squad".  I've dealt with folks a lot more scarier and I'm still here; even if I did change my name, relocate my family, and get into witness protection. 

Peace
    • 3006 posts
    November 7, 2013 7:09 AM PST
    Interesting post,locally there was a lot of speculation on the nature & intent of the barges,being as they are literally on the front doorstep of a few million people here in the bay area.You wouldnt believe some of the crazy stuff some folks were saying,hilarious mind & thought control centers for crossdimensional beings etc etc new world ordertroops staging sites.lol..I just figured what a great publicity stunt w/out being a stunt really?!.. it stirred folks imagination up & its a kick, hearing all the crazy funny stuff people dream up about it.

I was thinkin more along the lines of a floating pleasure barge!!! with seperate containers devoted to different themesor more realistically a place to showcase some really ripper hi tech goodies for the investor/upper crusties of the new rich internet elite.San Jose Calif has more millionaires per inch then any other place in the USA.

Of course it could all be part of some sinister conspiracy/coverup of some top secret govt mission Lmao
    • 9 posts
    November 9, 2013 7:31 AM PST
    There is so much speculation, propaganda, and downright "paranoia" out there right now, it ain't funny. Could it be a "cover" for covert ops. Sure. Do the camera's on our own laptops, spy on us? C'mon, Ya'll, ANYTHING is possible now-a-days. Will it make you change the way you do anything? Doubtful. We are a nation of skeptic's. as well.

I'm not about to "duck", or "cover", til I see the white's of their eyes. Feel me?
    Stay calm, and TRUST God.

Let the rest of 'em, do the worrying. That's what Imma do...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    November 9, 2013 10:08 AM PST
    It was simply a tongue in cheek post Tweek. But imagine the consequences if zealots were in control of Google. Imagine not worry.
  • November 11, 2013 11:30 AM PST
    I'm thinking they might be ready to take their company off shore so that they can avoid federal and state taxes and simply claim to be a corporation based in international waters. They might also be trying to avoid some Constitutional issues when it comes to spying on me and my fellow cyclefish bretheren when were surfing the net.
  • November 11, 2013 10:39 PM PST
    Damn......I'm unplugging all my $&!+ now....... it IS as bad as it seems and they ARE out to get you.....now where's my roll of tin foil....
  • November 12, 2013 9:51 AM PST
    I'm thinking of a new game. Post some obscure message on Cyclefish and then time how long Google takes to get it indexed into their system or how long it takes Homeland Security to knock on your door. Could be fun.
    • 5419 posts
    November 12, 2013 10:50 AM PST
    Let's not and say we did :-)
    • 1 posts
    November 13, 2013 3:30 AM PST
    Guess we don't hear a lot about a lot of things down hear. Never even heard of these.
  • December 2, 2013 10:59 PM PST
    First I've heard of it too. Guess living in the middle of the US, I misses a lot of costal drama. They have river barges too?
    • 5419 posts
    December 5, 2013 2:42 AM PST
    You never know! You might want to start looking up and down the Mississippi!
    • 3006 posts
    December 5, 2013 7:28 AM PST
    Apparently the city of San Francisco is taking issue with the barges and is starting an investigation of sorts,at least thats what the local paper is saying.
    Personally in my opinion,it was really a way to avoid paying for the high cost of doing business in downtown San Francisco.Over all the costs to set up and operate the barges would be significantly lower then buying and renovating an older building in the financial district.Property prices in the more desired areas is astronomical.Also there probably is other aspects to using the barges,over using a fixed property.
    • 834 posts
    December 10, 2013 3:51 AM PST
    I can't wait until they are finished and the big release comes so we will all know for sure!